+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fixing the Remote side mirror

Default Fixing the Remote side mirror

Have any of you tryied to fix a side mirror remote? I know what it looks like inside....now that i've pulled it apart....but don't know how to fix it. Any help would be great!

On the right side I have a mirror that is broken at the post and is flopping around....have you guys ever tried to fix this as well?

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

It would be helpful if you could describe what's broken. Is it not moving correctly, or is the glass cracked?

If the movement is broken there are 3 stiff wires that connect the control to the mirror. Corrosion and crud can accumulate behind the mirror and stop it from moving. A little gentle pressure on the mirror surface can loosen up the joint and get it working again. Rock the mirror back and forth within the housing until it moves easily and smoothely. Then do the up and down. If that doesn't fix it you can pour a little light oil into the tubes that hold the control wires to make sure they slide easily. If the mirror moves and the wires slide but it still doesn't work then something is probably disconnected either at the control or in behind the mirror. You'd have to find out where and determine if it's correctable. The drivers side mirrors are reasonably common and it would be prudent to get a spare. Once corrosion begins it probably is going to be a chronic problem.

John

Resuscitating this thread to ask a mirror question. For the following issue, what am I looking at in terms of time and expense? How about part availability?

imagejpeg_3_resized.jpg
    Looking for a '72 Centurion
    1984 LeSabre Coupe Limited (sold)

The mirrors are the same on all full size Buicks for your year. There was a change in the mounting system between 1972 and 1973 so to be safe stay within your year. The control for the mirror slips through the trim piece from behind and is held in place by a small set screw. If remove the door panel you might find the control flopping around inside the door. If you're lucky you can slip the control into the trim, and tighten the set screw gently. It's more likely that the set screw was over tightened and has deformed the cast white metal piece that connects the control knob to the 3 wires. If that's the case you need a new mirror. Before buying a replacement ask the seller for a good clear picture of the control end where the set screw rests. Make sure it's not crushed. It is possible to replace just the white metal piece if you can find a good one.

Good luck,
    John
    Livin' Large.

Quote Originally Posted by 73 Centurion View Post
    (...)remove the door panel you might find the control flopping around inside the door. John
    The first owner thinks she recollects that the piece fell inside the door. That would be consistent with this best-case scenario.

It's more likely that the set screw was over tightened and has deformed the cast white metal piece that connects the control knob to the 3 wires. If that's the case you need a new mirror.
    A quick eBay search shows prices in the $400+ range for NOS LH mirror. On this forum a couple of years ago, I saw price quotes ranging from high-2 to low-3 figures: http://www.buickcenturion.com/forums...-NOS-LH-mirror

Looks like it would be worth shopping around. Or, is the eBay listing above way off-base?

Before buying a replacement ask the seller for a good clear picture of the control end where the set screw rests. Make sure it's not crushed. It is possible to replace just the white metal piece if you can find a good one. John
    With the above prices, these certainly sound like good suggestions. Will get the pic and revert.

Thank you!
    Looking for a '72 Centurion
    1984 LeSabre Coupe Limited (sold)

I have a used one or two in not-too-bad shape laying around.....

+ Reply to Thread