+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual exhaust

Default Dual exhaust

Yesterday I got the dual exhaust that I ordered from Klasskollection.
    Looks good, only hope it fits good too…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Per

Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Hope it works out for you Per...... I added it last year and love the low "throaty" sound she gives off now. Sounds like a real sleeper now! Good luck!
    Steve
    72 Buick Centurion Convertible - Current (Purchased in 2007)
    71 Buick Skylark Convertible - (mistakenly sold when I thought it was time to "grow-up"!)
    02 GMC Yukon XL - Daily Driver
    00 Jeep Wrangler - My "other fun" car...

Hej, looks good, Per. Aluminized or stainless steel ?

My exhaust pipe system only has the mufflers and no resonator; therefore it´s rather loud when being on the gas. I love it especially when driving between houses - sounds really strong then and causes extra head-turners - , but I hate it after a longer trip - too much noise in the ears -. So I would change to resonators if I had to replace it sometime.

Good luck with the installation !
    Last edited by The German; 06-03-2008 at 06:41 AM. Reason: I understood the difference between "mufflers" and "resonators" a day later and corrected my mistake ;-) .
    Rolf

Definitely let us know how it fits. And how much it cost! I need to get a dual exhaust for the LeSabre.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1958 Buick Roadmaster Four Door Riviera

Thanks guys!

It’s an aluminized system and it costs 340 dollars with resonators (260 without). Shipping is 60 inside the US with DHL. Clamps and hangers were not included and cost 3 and 11 each, need 8 clamps and I think 4 hangers will be enough. The hangers look strong enough to tow with…..
    http://stores.ebay.com/Klasskollecti...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I promise to post a fitting report here. Plan to install it sometime during the next weeks. I was hopping to figure out the reason for my rattling engine noise before I get it on which probably will be harder to hear then, maybe I shouldn’t worry so much about it but it just bugs me to don’t know what it is .
    http://www.buickcenturion.com/forums...read.php?t=368
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Knowing from experience what a pain it can be to change the exhaust at home at the garage floor, I decided today to make appointment with a local workshop to help me getting it on. Working with the car on a lift will for sure make things easier.

If anyone that has a dual exhaust on could confirm that I have laid out the system right on the two picts in post one, or have picts of their system to upload, it would be great. It’s mainly the front pipes I’m wondering about, it might get pretty obvious when I install it but it’s never wrong to be well prepared.

My friend that also ordered a dual system for his 73 Lincoln Continental from Klasskollection (and shipped it together with mine), just got his installed.
    The system fitted his car very well, apart from cutting a middle pipe a few inches, everything else came on place easy. Not bad considering a dual system wasn’t even an option on a 73 Continental.
    The BIG surprise for him was that the dual was as whispering quiet as the single system he had on earlier . Like me he ordered 2 ¼’ with stock mufflers and resonators.
    I’m having regrets myself that we didn’t order Turbo mufflers instead. We can always replace the resonators with pipes to get a little more sound, but I have a feeling that Turbo mufflers with resonators would have been the perfect compromise. I actually have a Turbo muffler on the single system that’s on now which sounds pretty ok for a single system.
    You want a little bubbling V8 sound but at the same time you want to be able to take the car for a real long ride without getting headache from the noise.
    Main reason for going dual in both our cases is to get a little more power and maybe come down a little on the mileage.

I’ll be back with an installation report for my car later.
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

hmm...

You have the mufflers and mid-sections of the pipe backwards.

The mufflers should be 3rd in line, under the back seat.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1958 Buick Roadmaster Four Door Riviera

Yep, something is wrong.. The two big cans should be taken out (not needed), and the small cans should be moved forward to where the big cans are now placed.
    KIMSN
    QUI VULT DARE PARVA NON DEBET MAGNA ROGARE

Quote Originally Posted by Smartin View Post
    hmm...

You have the mufflers and mid-sections of the pipe backwards.

The mufflers should be 3rd in line, under the back seat.
    Of course you’re right Adam, one quick look under the car is enough to realize that .

How about the front pipes, do I have them correct (left and right)? And the direction of the mufflers (connections)?
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Quote Originally Posted by EEE View Post
    Yep, something is wrong.. The two big cans should be taken out (not needed), and the small cans should be moved forward to where the big cans are now placed.
    Kimson, if I understand you right you’re suggesting replacing the mufflers (which are left out) with the resonators, hm…interesting thought…would get up the sound level for sure

I’m playing with the thought of finding another Turbo-muffler myself, same type as I currently have on my single system and to use them instead. If the length and connections are the same as on the enclosed stock mufflers, it could work. Might be tricky to find such a muffler here in Sweden though….
    Or I will just replace the resonators with longer tail pipes, we’ll see where it ends up
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

I don't have pics available today, but I am willing to shoot some this weekend if you'd like. I went from a single to duals this past fall. Ran pipes from the manifolds, back to two stock mufflers. Small stock mufflers. Yours seem to be a bit bigger than mine. And no, I didn't run turbo's. From there, I went straight pipes back. Now I get a nice throaty sound, not too loud, but certainly, not quite. A nice in between! But when you get on the throttle, they sound terrific... Anyway, if you want me to figure out how to take some pics this weekend, I am more than willing.
    Steve
    71 Buick Skylark Convertible - (mistakenly sold when I thought it was time to "grow-up"!)

Hi Steve!

Long time no see….
    Thanks for the offer to shoot some picts. I was thinking on those who already have picts of their undercarriage in first hand, you shouldn’t have to crawl under your car to take picts only for my sake, but I do appreciate the offer. I’ll probably figure it out from the info I already have and may receive.

Very interesting to hear about your mufflers, sounds like you have achieved what I’m striving for .
    Seems like the easy way out for me would be to skip the resonators (tail pipe mufflers)
    Last edited by Robroy; 06-27-2008 at 09:10 AM.
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Hey bud, I miss you all too. Been way too busy of late with family and work stuff. Need a little play time! Yes, I'd skip the resonators. You can always add later if you want, but I wouldn't go that route up front. And my offer stands... more than willing to shoot some pics if you'd like. No problem whatsoever....
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dewbers View Post
    Hey bud, I miss you all too. Been way too busy of late with family and work stuff. Need a little play time! Yes, I'd skip the resonators. You can always add later if you want, but I wouldn't go that route up front. And my offer stands... more than willing to shoot some pics if you'd like. No problem whatsoever....
    No worries Steve, we know you are a father of four and have a business to run
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

That system looks very similar to the one I put on my Wildcat! (67)

I hope it goes on well. I had 1 problem with the tube from the head pipe to the muffler on the driver's side-
    and yours looks like it may have the same bend. I ended up cutting @ the 1st offset and rotating the tube
    so it would go into the muffler straight. (the spot where there are 2 bends close together is where I cut-
    once its cut the 2 bends will act as a "universal" elbo to go in any direction) Otherwise the muffler went off
    at a very wild angle, not good. Once that was fixed the system went on very well.

I followed Adam's example and got the 2.5"; they sent stock mufflers that just had the inlets and outlets
    increased but were 2.25 at the muffler itself! I ended up using them on another car and getting the long
    case Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers (in2.5 in/out) Now it sounds Purrfect! Mellow at idle and just the right amount af rumble for me, low restriction @ WOT blasts
    Ted Nagel
    Corripe Cervisiam

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat65 View Post
    That system looks very similar to the one I put on my Wildcat! (67)

I hope it goes on well. I had 1 problem with the tube from the head pipe to the muffler on the driver's side-
    and yours looks like it may have the same bend. I ended up cutting @ the 1st offset and rotating the tube
    so it would go into the muffler straight. (the spot where there are 2 bends close together is where I cut-
    once its cut the 2 bends will act as a "universal" elbo to go in any direction) Otherwise the muffler went off
    at a very wild angle, not good. Once that was fixed the system went on very well.
    Thanks for sharing Ted ,
    I’ll be looking out for that middle pipe on the driver’s side if it should show to be incorrectly bent. I hope to get lucky, but if not, its cutting and welding to reroute the faulty pipe.
    On my friends Continental every bent was correct, he only needed to cut one middle pipe to adjust the length on it.
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Nice topic you put on here Per! Can you tell me how much the shipping costs were for the exhaust? And about the mufflers... What about 2 Flowmasters on the end of the exhaust? I heard flowmaster has some very nice mufflers.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelHaak View Post
    Nice topic you put on here Per! Can you tell me how much the shipping costs were for the exhaust? And about the mufflers... What about 2 Flowmasters on the end of the exhaust? I heard flowmaster has some very nice mufflers.
    Michel,
    the shipping cost over the Atlantic for two exhaust systems was 150 dollar which is the standard rate for a cubic metre in a sea container. To that you need to add the domestic shipping cost to the port, I believe he charged us like 100 dollars for the two systems.
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Default My dual exhaust is now finally installed

Went to the workshop early this morning to get the dual exhaust installed. With two people working with this (me and the mechanic) it took us three and half hours to get it on.
    We had to adjust (heat and bend) four pipes totally since the angle on them were more or less wrong. The front pipe on the passenger side was the most incorrect one since it couldn’t be mounted at all due to the wrong angle, also the front pipe on the drivers side needed a little tweaking upwards and sideways. Same with the second pipe on the passenger side and one of the loops (over the rear axle) which also needed a little tweaking.
    No cutting was needed thought, so lengthwise everything fitted very well.
    I realized a little too late that I was missing two holders/ brackets for the hangers on the driver’s side (since I was going from single to dual). In my opinion the stock hangers are superior to those universal ones that are made of old tires, but they require the correct brackets.
    I replaced the resonators with straight pipes and a bend at the end. The car is a little louder than with the single exhaust, especially on lower rpms where it sounds a little more thunderous than before, but it’s not a dramatic change. The resonators were definitely not needed unless you want a really quiet car.

So to summarize the installation; without Jimmy (the mechanic) and his gas welding equipment I could never have got it on. Having the car up on a lift also made things a LOT easier.
    Lessons learned for me are that I could have got some spare flanges which are used to connect to the manifold so that we didn’t have to cut the Y-pipe on the single exhaust to get those off and to have tried and found some stock hangers brackets for the driver’s side from a yard or so.

The system sits rather ok without any rattling and the tailpipes come out just fine, but the second pipe on the passenger side hangs down 1-1,5 inch lower than the one on the right side, this due to that we had to bend down the first pipe to be able to pass the cross member under the transmission.

I will try and find a stock bracket to improve the way the left tailpipe is hanging (I currently have clamp pretty far out to hold it)
    Apart from that I feel happy with the installation.
    Last edited by Robroy; 07-12-2008 at 04:25 AM. Reason: added info
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Any extra power?
    KIMSN
    QUI VULT DARE PARVA NON DEBET MAGNA ROGARE

+ Reply to Thread