+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 212 *F normal engine temp?

Quote Originally Posted by Smartin View Post
    The coolant in the radiator will probably not read as hot as the coolant in the intake, ... ...
    Iīm sure that there has to be a difference, but isnīt it a pretty high diff. what Per measured ? And he measured 180°F at the metal of the intake which couldnīt have such a difference to the coolant temperature only half an inch behind the wall; as we all know temp. goes through metal very good ! ===>?
    Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Iīm sure that there has to be a difference, but isnīt it a pretty high diff. what Per measured ? And he measured 180°F at the metal of the intake which couldnīt have such a difference to the coolant temperature only half an inch behind the wall; as we all know temp. goes through metal very good ! ===>?
    That’s what I thought too, the difference in temp between radiator and intake feels like a bit too much (68 *F). Since the water pump looks replaced not too long ago, circulation should be ok, so I suspect the thermostat is not operating properly.

Thinking on testing my temp gauge (inside the car) by removing the sender unit on the intake and then put it in a cup of water that just came from a kitchen water boiler. Then put the digital thermometer in the same cup and match the reading on the thermometer with the gauge. That should tell how correct it is I think...
    Per

Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

Quote Originally Posted by Robroy View Post
    ... ...Thinking on testing my temp gauge (inside the car) by removing the sender unit on the intake and then put it in a cup of water that just came from a kitchen water boiler. Then put the digital thermometer in the same cup and match the reading on the thermometer with the gauge. That should tell how correct it is I think...
    Guess thatīs a good idea, Per !
    Rolf

Default New thermostat installed

Just installed a brand new 180 *F thermostat. It was a 195 *F that sat there.
    Followed Rick’s advice regarding the threads where the bolts go in. I let the bolts go in and out several times to release the dirt and then used compressed air to clean the bolt holes. Put on some cooper grease and tightened with a prayer.
    Tomorrow I’m gone do the gauge test (post 22) and then fill up the system with coolant again, and if everything seems working allright, I’ll then go on a car show with 900 other American classics
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Default Back in business

A new thermostat (180*F) and radiator lid really made a difference!
    When I did the first test run the gauge stopped at 176*F (80*C) as the thermostat probably opened full there. Went down to the gas station to fill her up and had the engine running since my battery was pretty weak. Bumped in to an old school mate there and before I took off the car had been standing idling in the sun for about 10 minutes and the gauge was now up at 194*F (90*C). I then headed for the car show and the gauge kept at 194*F (90*C) and after like 20 minutes it reached 203*F (95*C) where it stopped. Yesterday was really hot (78*F) here for this time of year so I still feel pretty ok with 203. When I drove back home late in the evening the gauge stayed steady on 180*F (82*C) all the way, outside temp had then dropped to 55*F (12*C).

I did do that gauge check too with the sending unit hanging down in a cup of newly boiled water together with the digital thermometer. There was a diff on 5*C which could be expected with a little margin for error on them both. It was a bit tricky since I had to ground the sending unit with a piece of jumper wire and at the same time hold the thermometer as well as the sending unit.
    Conclusion is that the gauge is not super exact but fairly correct as could be expected for the price I paid.

I want to thank all of you who helped me to crack this! Your friendship really adds an extra dimension to this hobby of mine.
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Any time Per. Thats what this is all about
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Rick Martinez

1973 Centurion 455 convertible - My show & tow car
    1970 GS455 Racecar
    9.25 @ 144.83, 3070 lbs

Iīm glad that this story ended without greater problems for you, Per !

Enjoy your car ! Hope weīll get a real summer this year, but the start is promising - in Germany we have the 2nd week without rain now (Centurion-weather ) !
    Rolf

+ Reply to Thread