+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A long lasting Valentine

Default 70s buick photos

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    Sorry, Rolf. The photos of the Nutmeg '72 were taken by Bob about 25 years ago. I sent my original prints to Adam for the registry, and these are his scans of those old photos. We're unable to improve upon the photos already posted.
    hi brian, those photos are terrific,the interior photos of bobs cars look like the 72 buick sales catolog interior shots.not only are the photos crisp, but the cars are beyond belief.as far as my camera abilities, lets just say im not going to win any awards anytime soon.that shot of the electra collection was eeery, it looked like the service department of any buick dealer in 1976. like time stood still!im still on the fence as far as the 74,need another one like i need a big toe on my forehead,but im a sucker for a nice buick,so who knows.there are pictures of it on e bay, the interior shot looks bleached ,but the car is beautiful in person.go to 70s buicks on e bay and youll see lots of pics.ill keep you posted.but honestly, i didnt even remotely plan on buying 2 cars, let alone3 in the last 6 monthes,but like anything else ,what are the chances of finding 3 low mileage , unrestored, original paint cars. i seriously think i should just answer the ads to get pictures of them, and collect them instead of the cars,its much cheaper! i cant even say i should just collect sales catalogs, i already have all of them! when i was a kid i used to buy those edmunds new car books that used to give you the prices and options of all the new cars,and i would option and price out the buicks over and over, like i was buying it for myself, i did this when i got home from school,and during the day i would actually think of stuff to add.although i was a good student,though i did lose a few of the books to some not so receptive teachers.maybe i should have stuck to the edmunds books.crazy, huh! phil

It's funny, Phil, but I think you'd find many of us on this forum did very similar things to what you did in your youth. Taking the idea from the used car ads, I created many dealership used car lots when I was a kid. Those "ads" were always heavy on the big Buicks of various years but also found Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles in them too since I also liked those cars quite well. And didn't we all build our own new Buicks -- even if we were in our teens and couldn't afford or we even able to do so? It seems that was just part of the enthusiast part of our persona which the person who buys four wheels for transportation just doesn't understand. On here, we all do so it is preaching to the choir. I suspect those early influences helped to shape my lifetime documentation mania of '72 Buicks and all Centurions and Adam created a space where all that information on those Centurions could be stored and saved rather than just on 3 x 5 cards to be destroyed once I am no longer here. Once again, we owe Adam a big thank you for the opportunities he has given to each of us.
    Bob Alberini BCA 3038
    Columbus, OH
    Centurion owner since 1973

Default used car ads

hi bob, thats sooo funny , about what you said about the used car ads,yep!been there done that too!in fact the buick dealer that i told you about , who had the flame orange 72,used to do these elaborate used car ads, almost funny in todays world! and there prices always were rounded off to 77 dollars,this went on for years, and years later my friends and i would mention these ads and we would crack up laughing! ill do one for you. 1972 buick centurion 2 door hardtop, a locally driven and garaged gem, sold new and always serviced at jack schlein,only 34,586 pampered miles ,finished in seamist green with a contrasting green vinyl topand matching interior, fully loaded,youll love it! all this for only $3,477 ...lets say the year was 1976! i used to read the paper every day to see these ads, ther were probably half a dozen or so, they never did a display ad,just individuals, and the cars sold fast.

You've got it perfectly, Phil! Isn't it a shame that stuff like this "ruined" us for life? They remain great memories and obviously helped to shape our automotive enthusiasm. Thanks for sharing a good one.
    Bob Alberini BCA 3038
    Columbus, OH
    Centurion owner since 1973

Default a locally driven and garaged gem

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Alberini View Post
    You've got it perfectly, Phil! Isn't it a shame that stuff like this "ruined" us for life? They remain great memories and obviously helped to shape our automotive enthusiasm. Thanks for sharing a good one.
    yes indeed bob! they sure did their share of damage,amazing how a mind can retain all this stuff,trivial at best to most,but to us its our roots in our great hobby,and i hope i never forget any one small piece of it.i call it "the buick gene" i can visualize that 72 i made up. and i wish i bought it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Alberini View Post
    It was 43 years ago today, February 14, 1973, that I became the very proud owner of "gray". At the time, there was a very reputable dealer in Columbus who specialized in GM factory executive's cars and gray came from the General Motors Technical Center in Warren, Michigan.

While I was considering ordering a new '73 Centurion, I really preferred the
    '72s and I felt gray was just too good to pass up and I can say that decision proved to be correct and the right one for me.

Another '72 Centurion 4 door hardtop had also received serious consideration. It was Champagne Gold with Black vinyl roof and Sandalwood cloth interior and was a VERY highly optioned car. However, I couldn't make the deal with Len Immke Buick and it just didn't happen. While that car might have made me equally happy, the car couldn't have been any better than gray has been. It has been quite a ride and hope that we've both got some miles left.
    Happy Anniversary Bob!
    Per

Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

I have great hopes that "Gray" will be shown this year at the 50th anniversary of the Buick Club at Nicola Bulgari's compound in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Bob's Centurion will be "home base" for some of us who love the Centurions so much.
    Brian Laurance, BCA # 5168
    A Centurion driver since December, 1970

1971 Centurion Formal Coupe

Anybody else planning going to the 2016 BCA Anniversary in Allentown PA?
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Per, I plan to be there, and I know that Bob intends to participate as well. I believe that Smartin (Adam Martin, our site creator / administrator) will be there as well. Perhaps others will chime in here regarding their plans.

Per, is there any possibility that you will be able to join us?

I have plans to be there.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    Per, I plan to be there, and I know that Bob intends to participate as well. I believe that Smartin (Adam Martin, our site creator / administrator) will be there as well. Perhaps others will chime in here regarding their plans.

Per, is there any possibility that you will be able to join us?
    Hi Brian
    Unfortunately my better half is unable to get vacation during these dates (this time too).

I did however ask a friend if he would consider joining me to this event and he is currently thinking about it, so itís a bit up in the air right now but we need to decide soon. Iíll keep you postedÖ
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Please keep us updated regarding your plans. Obviously, we'd like very much to meet you in person, so sincerely hope that this will be a possibility for you.

+ Reply to Thread