+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My 1971 Centurion Convertible

Default My 1971 Centurion Convertible

Hi All;
    I've enjoyed reading all the threads but this is my first attempt to post so we'll see how that goes. Glad to have a place to share stories and ask for help. Thanks to Adam for all his efforts.....
    Hopefully, I'll have a photo attached of my ride. We just finished getting the 455 back in the car after a complete rebuild of it and the TH400. Spent lots of time cleaning, sandblasting and painting and real happy with the results. Had to replace the timing cover and, as some of you have found out, that one hurt but the part from TAperformance looks and works great. For you purists out there, sorry about the wheels. I have 2 sets of the chrome road wheels but can't get 4 that aren't bent and the price of the Wheel Vintiques were too rich for my blood.
    Still lots to do but most of it is minor dashboard work. I only wish I wasn't in Kansas for the winter so I could get more time to drive it this winter....
    Can't get the photo to attach. It's in .IMG form and I'm not sure how to change it to .jpg.... Any ideas????

email the photos to me and I'll see what I can do..

adamm@buickpartsdirectory.com
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

I suppose I could've just loaded the pictures I already have on the registry...oh well! Here's a new one!

What a killer color combo...

What size tires are on the back?

Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

The front tires are 255/60 15" and the rears are 275/60 15". The wheels are American Racing 15 x 8's. I really prefer the chome road wheels but I couldn't get rid of wheel hop due to the bent wheels. The guy I bought it from let it sit (inside and covered, thankfully) for over 5 years without moving it, so I was dealing with flat spots on the wheels and tires. I was surprised we were able to get it running as well as it did. Other than some flushes and frequent fluid changes, it drove perfectly until the timing cover and water pump started to leak.
    We replaced the springs and shock all the way around (both front springs were broken) and, with the new tires and wheels, this car rides fantastic. It does still look a little low in the rearend to me. I'm a little concerned with how much I'm getting into this but I don't plan on selling it. I bought it for $5,000 and have about $6,000 in repairs since buying it. It would be higher if we didn't own a mechanical repair shop. It is fun to watch these young techs try to adjust a carb when all they've known is fuel injection.
    Thanks again for all your help. I hope to get out to some shows/meets next spring and hope to meet some other Buick owners.

Scott

Scott, I've admired the unusual and very striking color combination of your convertible. Great to see another '71 owner on the forum. It's a beautiful car and we're glad that you've shared it here. Any information regarding the car's history?
    Brian Laurance, BCA # 5168
    A Centurion driver since December, 1970

1971 Centurion Formal Coupe

Hi Brian,
    Thanks for your comments. This is actually the same car you mentioned in your earlier post on color combinations. I just had to take off the road wheels for a decent ride. The history of this car is that one of my customers brought this car in to have the oil changed and told me he was going to sell it because it was in the way and his wife hated it. It was built in the KCK assembly plant. His dad bought the car new from Markl Motors in Kansas City, KS in 1971. He got the car from his dad to take to college and spent some money restoring it (not the best job aligning panels) after he graduated. After getting married, it sat for several years.
    I've done lots of mechanical updates and repairs as well as top motor and cable repairs. I need to find a good place to have the front sheet metal aligned and I need to find some internal window regulator parts. Other than that, I'm ready to take a good, long road trip. I think they only made a little over 2100 of these in 1971 so I hope they increase in popularity and value but I want to keep it. I feel real lucky to have found it.

Scott

Scott, that's a great story, and I agree that you are very fortunate to have found this car. Please keep us posted as you align the front sheet metal and address your window regulator needs.
    Brian Laurance, BCA # 5168
    A Centurion driver since December, 1970

1971 Centurion Formal Coupe

+ Reply to Thread