Thread: A Royal Centurion

Threaded View

Default A Royal Centurion

Hello there !

Did any of you know that a 1973 Buick Centurion was delivered new to Queen Margrethe and her husband Prince Henrik of Denmark ?

And to this day it is still in use more or less daily in the summer months, despite it being the oldest car in the stable, apart from the 1958 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith, known as "Big Crown", which is only seeing use on finest of occasions.

The Centurion, I have heard, is the preffered car of Prince Henrik of Denmark, as it is the only convertible in the royal stable. He likes it so much that when a few years ago it was so worn down, they had to either sell it or restore it. Then he had it totally refurbished at a considerable cost.

I have personaly seen the car, about 10 years ago, when the Royal yacht, harboured in a town not far from me. The Royal family usually tours our little kingdom in that yacht every summer. And the Buick is usually chauffered to the destination along with one of the "regular" Royal limousines, like the Daimlers, and one af the several Volvo/mercedes/what-have-you.

But until now I didnt have the photographic proof, there's lots of pictures of the other cars, when they are doing their official duty, but I havent found any of the more privatly driven Centurion.

But now I finally got the pictures to prove it, not the best pictures I admit, but here they are, they where taken at an upholstery shop.

I am not fully into this model, so I dont know what its supposed to be like. I can spot the Police radio in one of the pictures, and the orange flashers is supposed to be there, per the danish regulations, but is the wood paneling on the instrument cluster original, and what about the speedo, is that in miles or kilometers ?

Anyways, I hope you like pictures, and when better once turn up, you will be the first to know

---------------------

Johnny B. Goode
    ...Just a country boy !

Check out The Road-Blog here --> www.roadmaster.dk
    Last edited by johnnybgoode; 08-28-2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: adding my name