+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Royal Centurion

Default A Royal Centurion

Hello there !

Did any of you know that a 1973 Buick Centurion was delivered new to Queen Margrethe and her husband Prince Henrik of Denmark ?

And to this day it is still in use more or less daily in the summer months, despite it being the oldest car in the stable, apart from the 1958 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith, known as "Big Crown", which is only seeing use on finest of occasions.

The Centurion, I have heard, is the preffered car of Prince Henrik of Denmark, as it is the only convertible in the royal stable. He likes it so much that when a few years ago it was so worn down, they had to either sell it or restore it. Then he had it totally refurbished at a considerable cost.

I have personaly seen the car, about 10 years ago, when the Royal yacht, harboured in a town not far from me. The Royal family usually tours our little kingdom in that yacht every summer. And the Buick is usually chauffered to the destination along with one of the "regular" Royal limousines, like the Daimlers, and one af the several Volvo/mercedes/what-have-you.

But until now I didnt have the photographic proof, there's lots of pictures of the other cars, when they are doing their official duty, but I havent found any of the more privatly driven Centurion.

But now I finally got the pictures to prove it, not the best pictures I admit, but here they are, they where taken at an upholstery shop.

I am not fully into this model, so I dont know what its supposed to be like. I can spot the Police radio in one of the pictures, and the orange flashers is supposed to be there, per the danish regulations, but is the wood paneling on the instrument cluster original, and what about the speedo, is that in miles or kilometers ?

Anyways, I hope you like pictures, and when better once turn up, you will be the first to know

---------------------

Johnny B. Goode
    ...Just a country boy !

Check out The Road-Blog here --> www.roadmaster.dk
    Last edited by johnnybgoode; 08-28-2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: adding my name

Cool stuff, the speedo is definitely in km/h. I like the license plate, just a little crown and a number.
    KIMSN
    QUI VULT DARE PARVA NON DEBET MAGNA ROGARE

Well it has the rare rear window defogger for a convertible. You can see the switch next to the power top switch
    Last edited by centurion 455 ragtop; 11-16-2007 at 01:57 PM.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Rick Martinez

1973 Centurion 455 convertible - My show & tow car
    1970 GS455 Racecar
    9.25 @ 144.83, 3070 lbs

Welcome Johnnybgoode!
    Very interesting that the Danish Royal family have a Centurion 73.
    I have been into the hobby of American classic cars since 1980 and thought I knew all the models from the 60’s and early 70’s, yet I discovered the Centurion model last year. I’ve never seen any of them here until lately and I have a feeling those are recently imported via Ebay etc.
    Question is if the Centurion’s were exported to Europe (and other places) or not? Bob or someone else on this board might have some info about that. Maybe this car was a special delivery via the local GM dealership?
    Per

Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

Anyone have the Prince's email address? We should invite him to join the forum!

This is really a fascinating link, Johnny B. Goode, and welcome to the Centurion website. I am a bit surprised that the car lacks factory air and is not really loaded with options but the devotion shown is incredible to have the car since new and then have it totally restored. Per, at this time, unless a particular individual has the information, we do not have data on the 73 Centurions. I've mentioned this to Adam that this is something we need to work on. However, I can tell you that a few of the 71s and 72s were exported so it certainly is very possible. It looks really odd to see the speedometer in kilometers though.
    Bob Alberini BCA 3038
    Columbus, OH
    Centurion owner since 1973

Default Thanx for the welcome

Thanx for the welcome in here guys I have actually been a member here for some time, but as I dont own a Centurion (only a 1952 Roadmaster) my interest is more Buick over all, so I have just been lurking in the background.

I knew that all of a sudden I would get my hands on some pictures of this Centurion, and then maybe you all would like to see them. I actually traded these pictures with some I had of a very special one off bodied 1961 Chrysler New Yorker limousine, also built for the danish royalty.

As for the licens plate, it also tells its own little story of the cars importance in the royal household. You see the royal cars are numbered according to importance. The most important has a white licens plate with a big silver crown, hence the nickname "Big Crown". "Crown 1" and "Crown 2" are two of the three stately Diamler Conquest limousines. "Crown 3" being the Buick Centurion and so forth, up to around "Crown 200-and something"
    These cars actually has two sets of licens plates, a set of regular Danish plates, for off duty work, and the "Crown-plates" which is only to be used when driven by or with the royal family.
    Johnny B. Goode
    ...Just a country boy !

Quote Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
    Anyone have the Prince's email address? We should invite him to join the forum!
    Now that would’ve been really cool..
    Per

Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgoode View Post
    Anyways, I hope you like pictures, and when better once turn up, you will be the first to know
    So I'm back, a guy has to keep his promises right :-)

Today I was forwarded a link to an article from august this past summer: http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige...k%20-%202.aspx
    (click the 'Naeste' box to see a few pictures more)

The photographers was waiting at the royal summerresidens, when Prince Henrik of Denmark suddenly appeared from a cruise round the countryside, driving you know what!
    The Centurion actually looks better in these pictures than in the first ones I posted.

Take care
    Johnny B. Goode
    ...Just a country boy !

Welcome back, Johnny, and thanks for the fresh photos of the Royal Danish Centurion. It is truly an odd combination of equipment and options or lack thereof. The car clearly lacks tinted glass and the outside rearview mirrors are not the ones that were the usual design for Buicks of this period. Although power windows are evident, the black wall tires and standard Centurion wheel covers are also unique for a Centurion convertible and the radio/tape deck is obviously not a stock option. It is a very unique automobile for certain.
    Bob Alberini BCA 3038
    Columbus, OH
    Centurion owner since 1973

That antenae on the drivers side fender is unusual.
    Livin' Large.

Dear all Centurion friends

I hope one of you can help me out. I have lost my own pictures of the Danish royal Buick Centurion. I had them uploaded to my website which I since have closed. Unfortunatly I havent saved those pictures anywhere. I seem to recall I had 3 or 4 pictures of it.
    I am hoping that some of you might have them saved?

Feel free to post them here, or send them to johnnybgoode@mail.dk

Here is a picture from 1977 with the royal danish family and their Centurion

2018-02-16 15_57_02-Dansk solgte Amerikanerbiler – Google Chrome.jpg
    Johnny B. Goode
    ...Just a country boy !

+ Reply to Thread