+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Side moulding

Default Side moulding

Hello, all --

I am a recent member, still learning about these great cars..

Mine is a 1973. The build sheet does NOT indicate that it had the original "protective body side moulding" from the factory. What it does have is a simple stainless strip that runs along the entire body, above the wheel openings, and below the downward curving sculptural line in the body. The pieces of the stainless moulding are straight, not curved. See attached photo.

I have seen a similar moulding on a few Centurions, including the one owned by member Rob Roy (Per), who sometimes posts on here.

I know my car was re-painted once, about 10 years ago; at that time it seems that all the original trim pieces (except the "door guards") were re-installed. I'm thinking that they may have added the side moulding at that time.

Has anyone out there seen a similar moulding, or have any idea where it might have come from?

Thanks,

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is an aftermarket or dealer installed molding.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

Hi Tom & welcome to the BC forum,

I have enclosed some picts of my 73 to compare with.

From what Iíve been told, these are dealership installed mouldings too (Wallace, Portland OR).

Your 73 looks stunning, hope to see some more picts of it! Is it repainted in an original colour?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Per

Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

I agree with Adam and Per. This is an aftermarket, non-Buick molding. As Per has noted, this was common addition by the Wallace Buick Co. of Portland, Oregon, but I have also noticed that this was a popular item among cars originally delivered in Minnesota and Wisconsin. I suspect that certain dealers promoted these moldings, because the profit margin was higher for them than if they simply ordered the cars with the factory-supplied protective body side moldings.

That's a beautiful Centurion convertible, Tom, and I join other Centurion owners in welcoming you here!
    Brian Laurance, BCA # 5168
    A Centurion driver since December, 1970

1971 Centurion Formal Coupe

Thanks for the input Brian, more or less what we had thought, interesting about the dealerships making more money on their own BSM than GM's

Iím missing some of the plastic end pieces on my BSM which are most likely impossible to get, but it stroke me the other day that maybe they could be reproduced in a 3D printer, we have such equipment at work and I even know a colleague that owns one.

Sure would be great if that would be a way out, rest of the BSM is in metal in my case btw
    Per

Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

Thanks for the helpful information -- you guys are really a source of good stuff!!

+ Reply to Thread