+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New BC-Photos

Randy, what brand are the whitewalls? I had the same issue with a brand new set on my 60 when I bought it. I ended up sanding them down with a DA sander and they were nice and white....for a week. Then brown again. I sold them on CL and bought the nice ones that are on it now.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

Hi Adam, I'm not sure what brand they are, and now the car is back in storage. I bought them at Walmart in 2007 when I bought the car. It had brand new Sears bias plys on it date coded 1976. Didn't think it would be a good idea to drive it home from Illinois on those.

Some years ago I had a scratch over the white wall maybe from a stone or a hit to a pavements wall. It was not deep into the rubber but too deep to get it wiped out. So I bought some white rubber paint and filled that scratch with it. After drying I sanded it a bit and then wiped some paint very thin over this part of the white wall and left and right of the scratched area. Later again a little sanding and since that day it looks nearly perfect again. Only if you know were it was youīll find it without a longer examination of the wheels.

I guess that also yellowed white walls could be over-painted with white rubber paint. Just wipe the paint very thin over the clean and dry white wall. The paint will fill into the micro-gaps in the surface and smoothing it later by sanding will probably give back the more white appearance. Iīm not really sure of course but with the scatch I had this method was successful. The paint I bought is not totally pure white, it has a little yellow appearance, but it fits perfect to my older white walls.

BTW : Since the last 3 years I use a special tire-rubber-conditioner to protect the rubber from drying out from the sun rays. I found that the dust which mainly comes from the brakes and always was difficult to get out of the white of the wheels now can be wiped away easily. Only once a year I clean the white walls with water and a detergent and then again protect the wheels with this rubber-conditioner.

In spite of all that tires get older and the white slightly gets way yellow on my wheels too. I guess thatīs the age, they are from the year 2004, and there is nothing which really helps against aging … .

The rubber conditioner :
    https://www.amazon.de/SONAX-235100-X...eifenglanz+gel
    Last edited by The German; 10-06-2016 at 05:37 AM. Reason: ... replaced the link, because it didnīt work
    Rolf

I'll post some pictures this weekend.

Last fall the rear window broke, the rivets failed on one side of the arm that controls the rear window and crunch. The roof was showing its age so a full replacement was needed. It took some time to build up the funds and pick a shop to do the work. I found a shop that had "an old guy" who has been working on scissor roofs for years. I discussed the job with him and liked his approach. The area where the roof, the quarter window and the rear quarter come together is a particular weak spot and is often the first place to rip. He grinds about an eighth of an inch off of the arms that go over the rear quarter windows. He also grinds off any roughness, rounds off the edges and paints them. The final step is to add screws and a small plate to secure that corner of the roof to it's rail. Normally this is held in place by a bunch of staples, but this is a high stress area and the staples eventually pull out. I also had him replace all of the weather stripping on the roof as mine were severely worn.

Last week the roof was finished and it looks wonderful. It's been too cold and rainy to operate the roof, but this weekend I'll be able to see it work.

I decided to try a fabric roof instead of the vinyl. New England winters are hard on vinyl and they tend to get brittle in the cold and develop small cracks the next spring. The fabric roof is actually a large sheet of rubber with cloth bonded to the inside and outside. It's a heavier material, but it's also more flexible. I think the fabric looks luxurious and elegant.

After coming out of the shop a belt slipped in one of the tires (it probably did not like the prolonged storage) so I can't drive it around much until I get a new one. I'm hunting for a set of decent rally rims. If I can find a set I think I'll get a set of white wall tires and go for a more stock look. The gold keystones looked good when the car was colonial gold, but they don't work so well with the black cherry.

One of the front coil springs also broke, so I'll need to replace that as well.

I've had the car long enough to know that it goes through these spells where a bunch of repairs pop up at the same time. Then there's a usually a nice long stretch of dependability and fun.

John
    Livin' Large.

Thatīs a very interesting report about the know-how for a perfect roof installation, John, thanks for your description !

Iīm convinced that all the convertible owners would like to see photos of the details. Maybe you can take some special photos and post them for us. Nearly every older scissor roof has this rips you described, sometimes even a relatively fresh replaced roof has them. So it would be really great to see the details.

Sometimes these old automobile ladies need some new skin, legs or something but always they give us back what warrants the input and what we canīt find with modern cars. So I hope you will finish the repairs soon and enjoy the next warm-weather-ride in spring 2017 !
    Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    this forum keeps a lot of good information around the Centurions which canīt be found at other places and this is your success, Adam.
    THANKS for all your effort !!!
    Second that comment!

I have not yet bought a Centurion (almost did last year -- an inspection flagged too many issues and I let it go), but the information on this site and Adam's help through PM were what saved me from making a big mistake). I remain on the lookout for a 1972 (possibly a 1971), and thus keep coming here. No FB for me, so really lucky that Adam keeps the site running. Thank you!
    Looking for a '72 Centurion
    1984 LeSabre Coupe Limited (sold)

My pleasure, guys. I've made steps to get closer to the Centurion once again. I now have a car that was made in the same decade...does that count?

It will probably take a very special car for me to jump into ownership again. I have been enjoying several different years of Buick for a while now...just testing the waters for something I'll really love.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

+ Reply to Thread