+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Summer is over

Default Summer is over

My convertible roof has been a bit wobbly and could use some adjustment but it worked well enough until yesterday. As the roof was lowering I heard the horrible crunch of the rear window shattering. Nothing was in the way of the slides for the rear glass so it must have been a problem with the frame.

Now parked in the garage while I learn more about replacement bushings and roof rail refurbishment.

Dang,
    John
    Livin' Large.

That's not the way to end the summer season John
    What are you gonna do replacement or refurbishment
    The bushings are easier to replace when the top is off the frame, if it even possible to replace them with the top on
    The rear window section is tacked on the rear bow first then the padding and finally the top itself
    I think it would be easier to take the top completely off and then check and replace everything especially the rear bow in the rain gutter (trunk area)
    Mine was completely gone totally rusted away and the rain gutter was also deteriorated away which in its turn gave the rain free play on my trunk floor
    Success with the task ahead
    Erik
    Ridderkerk
    The Netherlands
    gumbeest@msn.com

Buick Centurion 455-4 convertible (1973)

Hyundai XG 350 (2003)
    Chrysler Sebring convertible (2001)
    Suzuki GSX-R 750 (1991)

My roof was getting a bit rough and would need to be replaced in a summer or two. I have a replacement roof I purchased a couple of years ago in a fit of optimism. I am considering tackling the roof replacement this winter. I suspect it's a good way to learn about the whole mechanism. But, I may chicken out. Right now I'm doing some research.checking out the resources that are available.
    Livin' Large.

OK
    If you need it i have a manual on how to install the roof
    It came with the roof i have bought
    And if i search should have the instructions for aligning the frame as well
    Erik
    Ridderkerk
    The Netherlands
    gumbeest@msn.com

Hyundai XG 350 (2003)
    Suzuki GSX-R 750 (1991)

Hi Erik,

I have the factory repair manual and the factory book for repairing convertible tops. I've ordered a top installation manual from the "ConvertibleTopGuys.com". If you have anything else I'd love to see it. I'd be happy to pay for shipping (and return shipping) if you would be willing to send it to me.

Thanks,
    John
    Livin' Large.

I have the same manual from the Convertible top guys that's where i bought my top, replacement rear bow and other accessories
    But i will start searching for the frame alignment manual that came with my convertible top bushing set
    I can make a PDF from the original so i can sent it via the mail if you want
    Did you determine what caused the rear window to crack
    The bushings seam so far fetched i was thinking about the drive cables
    If one of them broke than the frame would twist and this might crack the window
    Erik
    Ridderkerk
    The Netherlands
    gumbeest@msn.com

Hyundai XG 350 (2003)
    Suzuki GSX-R 750 (1991)

I haven't looked into why the rear window broke. I agree that it's unlikely that the bushings caused the issue. Who knows maybe something shifted in the trunk and stopped the window from laying down properly.

John
    Livin' Large.

+ Reply to Thread