+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Horrible news

Default Horrible news

Keith called me early this morning to tell me that he had a catastrophe over night. His garage caught fire and, of course, his Centurion and Reatta were parked inside. He discovered the fire when he got up to let his dog out and saw smoke coming from the garage. The firemen told him that it was a very slow burn and had burned for quite some time. He said both cars sustained heavy damage but he actually drove them both out after the fire had been extinguished. As bad as it is, it could have been much worse. He had 13 gallons of gas stored in cans and although the cans were blackened, they did not explode. He also had both cars filled with gas. This is a situation none of us would ever like to have to deal with and Keith is very heartbroken at this point. He will undoubtedly provide the forum with an update but he can use all of our support at this exceedingly difficult time.
    Bob Alberini BCA 3038
    Columbus, OH
    Centurion owner since 1973

That is sad news
    I assume he and his family are alright that is the main concern
    Cars can be rebuild or replaced after all
    I am curious for the cause and the extend of the damage but we will hear that from Keith himself when he is up to it
    For now i wish him and his family al the best
    Erik
    Ridderkerk
    The Netherlands
    gumbeest@msn.com

Buick Centurion 455-4 convertible (1973)

Hyundai XG 350 (2003)
    Chrysler Sebring convertible (2001)
    Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T (1999)

Suzuki GSX-R 750 (1991)

Yes, Erik, nobody was injured and his garage is a separate, detached building so his home was not involved.
    Bob Alberini BCA 3038
    Columbus, OH
    Centurion owner since 1973

I saw a few photos of both cars, but it's hard to tell how much damage there is in the photos. He said the Centurion is worse than it looks. Appears some top damage, paint, interior. So so sad
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

Oh what a catastrophe ! Itīs a pain seeing those photos.
    But donīt hesitate looking forward, Keith, I wish you to have the mental power and the support of the insurance company for bringing back your beauties to the road with their former glamor some day not too far in future. My thoughts are with you … .
    Rolf

Only just noticed the photos and story on FB... I can feel your pain Keith. Hopefully insurance will cover the damage.
    Rob

As i see the pictures
    I have high hopes for the Centurion although expensive but possible
    All the trim is stainless and should clean right up
    Even the passenger side mirror and the interior seem to be salvageable
    The top is easily replaced by a professional

The Reatta worries me more i think that one is gone
    Again looking at the pictures in reality it can be worse or better
    I wish you all the best with the aftermath of this terrible episode
    Erik
    Ridderkerk
    The Netherlands
    gumbeest@msn.com

Buick Centurion 455-4 convertible (1973)

Hyundai XG 350 (2003)
    Chrysler Sebring convertible (2001)
    Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T (1999)

Suzuki GSX-R 750 (1991)

Just sickening. I'm so sorry Keith. I hope there is a way to save the Centurion.

Randy

Keith, You know how much I loved and admired your Centurion. It was and still is my inspiration vehicle. But the most important thing is that you are okay. Stay sane. I am sure no matter what life throws at you you can conquer it.
    Richard (Rick) Dunn

1971 Centurion convertible, teal mist gray and black: traded in for:
    1973 Centurion convertible, bamboo cream and sandlewood: sold away for all of the wrong reasons. :
    1972 Centurion 4 door hardtop, hunter green, green interior, black vinyl roof. The new adventure!

So sad to read about this….
    I agree with Erik about the high hopes for the Centurion, although expensive but possible

I really hope the insurance will fully cover the repairs, then next challenge is finding needed parts and the right people to do a proper paint job etc

When it comes to the hunt for parts I suggest we forum members give you a helping hand (if needed) in turning the internet inside out
    Per

Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

Keith, I've been traveling for more than a week, and opted to fully disconnect from e-mail, forums, etc., so I was very shocked to return to the forum and see this news. I'm very sad to learn of the damage to the cars, and know how devastating all of this is to you.

I hope that you receive some clear, specific answers soon from your insurance company, and can proceed with a clear plan. Obviously, I join the others here in hoping that your very unique Centurion can be saved.

Please keep us updated as you move forward.
    Brian Laurance, BCA # 5168
    A Centurion driver since December, 1970

1971 Centurion Formal Coupe

Keith, the realization that the Centurion is a total loss is heart-breaking for all of us, but I know full well that our sense of loss cannot compare in any way to yours.

Please keep us posted. If the salvage price is reasonable, I too hope that the car can be saved.
    Brian Laurance, BCA # 5168
    A Centurion driver since December, 1970

1971 Centurion Formal Coupe

Holy crap Keith!! I am so, so sorry. First off thank God it wasn't worse and no one was hurt. As for your cars, hang in there. The Centurion does look more restorable, just it will take time. I truly hope it all works out. If your love is still with the cars I would not rethink anything. I myself dropped pretty much out of thing. With paying cash on the barrel for tuition at away colleges for two kids...well we all know the costs so I just stored my Centurion and GS455. I too was rethinking thing, but I know I would resent selling them down the road. After over 2 years out the bug is hitting but things are moving slow.

Hang in there my friend and there are loads of good people out here for support, contacts and help.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Rick Martinez

1973 Centurion 455 convertible - My show & tow car
    1970 GS455 Racecar
    9.25 @ 144.83, 3070 lbs

Keith - Just say the thread. Sorry for your loss.

Bruce
    Bruce
    Lake Bluff, Il.
    1971 Centurion Convertible

+ Reply to Thread