+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any chance???

Default Any chance???

From the 1970's until now, is there any chance that someone would have made a installation video pertaining to out 71-76 convertible tops? From all of these years was there at least one person smart enough to make a video. I've searched all over the web and see functioning videos of our top frames but no installation videos. Over 30 years and not one. Well....I hope that me being 34 yrs old that some of the guys before me have a know where to go see one info for me. It don't seem that hard to do but i just wouldn't mind a tutor for the first go around or 2. As we get older there's not a lot of people wanting to do it or leaving here and if i have a son i will pass the car to him and teach him how to do it at a young age until it's his. Thanks to all who responds. My final attempt will be pay someone to do it and ask them if they will use my HD camcorder to show me for my archives.

I would have bet there was something on YouTube...crazy.

I remember sourcing parts and a shop to do the work on my 71, and there were several groans and sighs when I mentioned it was a 71 big car. It appears to be a fairly substantial pain in the ass.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Smartin View Post
    I would have bet there was something on YouTube...crazy.

I remember sourcing parts and a shop to do the work on my 71, and there were several groans and sighs when I mentioned it was a 71 big car. It appears to be a fairly substantial pain in the ass.

Yeah they act like it's a big deal. I'm very mechanically inclined and i have been reading through the Fisher Top Manual for these tops over and over. There are few things that i haven't got quite yet and i know that if i just do it, it will all make sense. Especially, since removal is almost the same as installation and i would mark and note everything with a marker and a camcorder. I think some of these people just like to feel important as if "i'm one of the few left to do it" mentality. Also they down talk the installation so that someone who doesn't know jack about cars get discouraged but it only makes me rise to the challenge. I would like to have a walk-a-long tutorial the first time around. Once i get the hang of it, i'm gonna get some these shops business because i would charge half of what they charge for labor being that the person provides their own parts. You can charge what you want when you love and have a passion for doing it. That's my goal. To be able to help many 71-76 scissor top owners not to deal with the "groans and sighs" that you speak of Mr. Smartin. Thanks for the reply sir. Oh yeah i checked youtube and all i found were a few people operating their tops but no full installation. If i get can get someone to make a video while i pay them to do it, then i will make copies to distribute to everyone at no cost. The way it should be. There's no way that we should be without this information/documentation in the 21st century. Hopefully i can contribute to changing that. With all of the things that you guys do on this forum, i'm far from being the only capable of doing this. For some reason i feel it's not as hard as they make it. Ijs

Default Okay

I found a company that makes videos for convertible tops and reached out to him to see why haven't he done a video or will he do one for 71-76 scissor tops. I emailed him because on his site he says if you don't find a video for your car that he will install your top for $100 because he will sell the video to others who have a top like yours. This is the email.....

Hello i have searched dearly to find a video for the installation of these tops and then i ran across your site. Can you make one or do you have one? Thank you.

AOK Sales
    7:54 AM (6 hours ago)

to me
    Hello,

I have not made that video because it is not a top for a DIYer.
    I strongly recommend that you use a professional installer for your top.

Regards, Karl

I definitely believe you will find a resolution to this Odyssey regardless of what the shops may say.

Even the shops learned the skill at some point.

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by 2mnykars View Post
    I definitely believe you will find a resolution to this Odyssey regardless of what the shops may say.

Even the shops learned the skill at some point.

Christian
    I'm sure hoping so my friend.

+ Reply to Thread