+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Guy Here, with a Centurion I've been trying to get since 2007

Doesn't look like Christmas is going to be a viable date to have her running. Logic took over and we sold her for scrap

Not really, but we decided to not waste the effort on half-***ing it just to make it run. Saving the cash up for the engine rebuild now, I should be able to do it for about $1k out of our shop, maybe less.

Going to go with a 'factory new' restoration, but I talked her into upgrading critical components, such as brakes and the ignition system, so looks like we're going to go with MSD ignition components.

That's where we're at now, saving up cash for the engine, and tracking down what we want to replace.

We appreciate the update, and glad to know you're making plans for moving forward.

Please continue to keep us posted on your progress!
    Brian Laurance, BCA # 5168
    A Centurion driver since December, 1970

1971 Centurion Formal Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by possom813 View Post
    Doesn't look like Christmas is going to be a viable date to have her running. Logic took over and we sold her for scrap
    I'll forgive you for saying that just as soon as I get my heart restarted.

I'm kidding.

You might consider having a detailer come over and do a quick once-over as a Christmas present. I bet the car will shine up beautifully and it will give you a glimpse of the future. Just a thought.

Keep us posted.
    Livin' Large.

Well, it appears that the best laid plans and all that jazz has happened.

Due to circumstance beyond our control, it appears that we're going to have to sell the Centurion.

My hunting/business/beerdrinking partner and I split ways and the car is parked behind what was our shop(now it's just his)

He gave me until March to move it, and I have no place to put it. The HOA won't allow me to keep it at our house, and the wife and I don't want to pay $250 per month to park it in a storage facility.

So, it looks like she may be going to someone else.

So sorry to hear that...especially since the car has so much family history.

What condition is it in currently? Do you have any present photos? Do you have any idea of what you would ask for it?
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

The photos in the first post are exactly what it looks like, only with tires on it that hold air.

It was parked in the early 80's with a burned valve

It was sitting in a barn since then

The only body damage I've found on it is at the bottom of the landau top and the back glass, it will need rust repair in that area

I have no idea what to ask for it, I guess I should ask for opinions of what it's worth.

$250 for storage a month, that is just crazy prices. You should be able to find something for way way way less than that. The place NOT to look are the fancy storage facilities. Check on Craigslist, papers, etc and you should be able to find dead storage for far less. I store two of mine in a large storage facility for $100 a month.

I've called all of the local(within 30 miles) storage facilities, and the cheapest unit I've found that might hold the Centurion is a 10x20, and it would be tight fitting, if it fits. The 10x20 is $120 per month.

The 15x30 that is $250ish(I don't remember the exact number, but it was right at 250) has overhead doors on each side and is large enough that I could put the extras in the unit as we bought them.

the 10 X 20 easily accommodates a Centurion, I had mine in that size for a month while my ex moved out so I could use my garage at home to put the he was taking with him. I had more than enough room, and there is more than ample room on the the sides to store stuff. Still look for a warehouse or similar to store the car in, with this you do not have an individual stall, but prices are considerably less.

Storage facilities are often the most expensive option. As mentioned earlier try Craig's list, or local community boards. Hemmings sometimes has listings for car storage. I don't know if you have any parking garages near you but they will often rent a spot for less than $250. One winter I found an office park that had empty buildings. They rented me a spot in front of one as long as I agreed to move the car if they rented building.

It's not uncommon to find someone willing to rent an unused garage or driveway spot. You've got a hardtop so you don't have to limit yourself to indoor storage right now.

Storing a running vehicle is easier than a non-running one. You should also keep an eye out for rebuilt heads on Buick performance boards and Craigs list. A good used head is not terribly hard to install and you could be close to having a running car. You might find a helping hand on one of the Buick boards that cuts the price of the repair down further.

If you can invest a little up front it might be cheaper in the long run to fix the engine now to improve your storage options. You might even be able to skip storage all together if it's running. You'll get more for a running car, maybe even more than it costs to fix it.

We all would love to do a frame off restoration, but have to settle what the current time and funds will allow. Think carefully about 5 or 10 years from now. Will you be kicking yourself for letting this car go?

Just some points to ponder.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

John
    Livin' Large.

Another idea which has worked well for me in the past is senior apartment buildings, if there's one near you. Often times, they have underground garages which are undersubscribed, as many of their residents don't drive or no longer own cars. Spots in such situations are often inexpensive and have the bonus of being quite safe, as there's not much traffic in those garages.

The wife and I have talked it over for the last few weeks and have decided that selling it is a better option in the long run.

She doesn't have a real emotional attachment to the car, and the only reason I wanted to build it is because it's a one owner and all original.

As it is, I just listed it on craigslist for $1500 obo. I'm not sure if that's a good number or not, but it is more than we paid for it.

When we bought the Centurion, we also bought the tractor that her grandparents bought new in the early 50's, we were planning on selling it, but she said she'd much rather me spend the money to keep it up and running because she actually got to ride on it with her grandma. She was too young to ever have ridden in the Centurion, and the only memories she has of it are from her and her cousins playing around it when she was a little girl.

So it's up for sale.

I did speak to my former business partner and he and I came to an agreement that the car can stay where it's at until sold, or until 12/31 at no charge. So I'm covered on that front and won't be out any extra storage fees.

Here it is, if you want to see the ad.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/4357881229.html

What is the odometer reading?

+ Reply to Thread