Thread: I found a beauty . . . '71 Electra 'Diamond in the rough'

Real interesting thread!
    Please keep it running
    Per

Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

4am. I'm sleeping in bed...The Buick is parked in my attached garage...BOOM!
    Dont be fooled by pretty whitewalls with good tread! These sat for 7yrs on the car. The car drove great the first few times I drove it...but now that the rubber has heated up, they are blowing up just sitting.
    Check em out...
    dryrot sept'12 (1).jpg
    dryrot sept'12 (3).jpg
    dryrot sept'12 (4).jpg
    got a GREAT deal for whitewalls at Discount Tire Direct for 235/75/15's

I am a firm believer old tires needing to be replaced - but those tires are WAY older than 7 years old. You should take one to a tire shop and have them read the date code for you.

Had a similar experience: Several yrs ago, still had tires that my '75 Electra came from the first owner with: old enough to be nomenclature "JR78-15", but looking perfect, ie no visible dry rot. Driving at highway speed one day and I hear (really just hear, only barely feel) bumpity-bump at the right rear. No effect on the driveability of the car. I pull over and inspect to find that the RR tire had suffered a complete tread separation; said tread was completely off the tire, wrapped around the rear axle. I'm standing there looking at the naked white inner structure of the tire, fully inflated, for about ten seconds....then as I watch, BANG! SSSSSSS! It was seriously like some sort of cartoon or sitcom, funny if not so potentially dangerous. But I sure noted the contrast: when this happens to a Ford Explorer.....badness commonly ensues. When it happens to a 5200 lb., long/low/wide Electra......."Hmmmm, wonder what that was, better take a look...."

and another same experience here a few weeks ago with the 69 Electra:

You can see the damage on top of the standing wheel.
    Hate these bumper jacks, but it was all I got at that moment
    Rob

latest update:
    Rally wheels CHECK
    new dual exaust CHECK
    electronic ignition CHECK
    died roof black CHECK
    video of the Deuce and a quarter: http://youtu.be/O1IR_FLnNH4enjoy

Saweeeeeeeet!!
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

Impressed by your video, very well made and cut to be produced by an amateur (I presume?)

Apart the died vinyl top (how do you do that?) the todo-list is the exact same as mine once was when I had recently bought my Centurion and speaking of that, the exhaust system looks similar to what I installed, is it by any chance purchased at klasskollection?
    I never installed the resonators as the mufflers were so huge and I wanted to hear at little of the rumble from the mighty 455
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Robroy, thanks for the compliment.
    Yes, the video is very amateur indeed. I just dabble, and have fun with my Flip Camera.
    To answer your question about the dying of the vinal top, it was actually very easy. I used a high density foam roller (available at home improvement stores)and simply rolled the dye right onto the top. No drips, no 'paint lines' to worry about..the dye simply soaks right into the vinal. Just make sure to clean the top well and let dry.
    My top was in great shape, I just simply chose to change the color from green to black. In my opinion, a dark green Buick with a black top is a gorgeous color combo!
    As for the exaust, it is made from scratch. no pre-bent stuff. It was all bent by hand by a local guy who has alot of experience and works out of his garage. He took extra time to measure and make everything even and straight. I too love the sound of my 455, so believe me even with the resonators, you can hear her purr

It turned out great, what a gem - for me though, the correct wheelcovers looked so much better than the chrome wheels. Fantastic job.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rocklein View Post
    Robroy, thanks for the compliment.
    Yes, the video is very amateur indeed. I just dabble, and have fun with my Flip Camera.
    To answer your question about the dying of the vinal top, it was actually very easy. I used a high density foam roller (available at home improvement stores)and simply rolled the dye right onto the top. No drips, no 'paint lines' to worry about..the dye simply soaks right into the vinal. Just make sure to clean the top well and let dry.
    My top was in great shape, I just simply chose to change the color from green to black. In my opinion, a dark green Buick with a black top is a gorgeous color combo!
    As for the exaust, it is made from scratch. no pre-bent stuff. It was all bent by hand by a local guy who has alot of experience and works out of his garage. He took extra time to measure and make everything even and straight. I too love the sound of my 455, so believe me even with the resonators, you can hear her purr
    Interesting to learn about the dying of the vinal top, don't think I ever heard about anyone doing that overhere.
    Sounds like you are happy with the exhaust system, do you happen to know how long the mufflers are? Mine are about 35 inches long if I remember correct and thats is huge in my opinion...
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Beautiful car and beautiful video ! - Thanks for sharing, John !
    Rolf

hey fellas,
    just replaced my PACKAGE TRAY in the Buick....
    easy fixin' ..made a how to video for youtube. Please check it out: http://youtu.be/UGn8cw95OrY

you can actually buy package tray board or board with material cover whichever your car origianlly had that in most of the colors that the orgianals came in - it's not that expensive - another option if originality is important to you.

+ Reply to Thread