+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1971 Centurion convertible in Rosewood

Default 1971 Centurion convertible in Rosewood

I stumbled across this auction video for a '71 Centurion convertible. It's difficult to see much of the car, but what got my attention is that this one is finished in seldom-seen Rosewood -- one of the unique standard colors for the '71 Buicks.

I do not believe that I have ever seen a Rosewood Centurion, although the convertible photographed for the 1971 Buick full-line brochure was a Rosewood car. In addition, the LeSabre / Centurion mailer brochure features a Rosewood Formal Coupe.

http://youtu.be/9gA4gGPHz8E
    Last edited by Centurion; 02-08-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    Brian Laurance, BCA # 5168
    A Centurion driver since December, 1970

1971 Centurion Formal Coupe

Looks like a nice car, and possibly well bought

There was a loaded up triple Rosewood 71 Formal coupe in my town as a kid, it remained until the early 80s! Still decent!

Of the 15 standard available colors for '71 B & C body Buicks, 8 of them were produced on less than 100 units each for the '71 Centurion convertibles and Rosewood was one of them. Here are the 8 colors with the production figures: Tealmist Gray - 51, Platinum Mist - 56, Willowmist Green - 66, Twilight Turquoise - 77, ROSEWOOD - 81, Silver Fern - 83, Regal Black - 84 and Cornet Gold - 89.

So it probably is no great surprise that you may not have ever seen a Rosewood convertible, Brian. From what little we can see, this certainly looks like a very nice example and hopefully the new owner will find the Centurion website so that we can learn more about it.
    Bob Alberini BCA 3038
    Columbus, OH
    Centurion owner since 1973

Bob, thank you so much for furnishing the production numbers. I had hoped that you would add them to this topic.

I have long held the view that many buyers would see photos of the cars in the brochure, and, noticing how attractive the brochure colors were, would select the same color combinations for the cars they ordered.

Evidently, this brochure image for the '71 Centurion convertible failed to sway many buyers to opt for Rosewood (or the optional Super Deluxe wheel covers). Then again, the brochure cars rarely wore the very popular protective body side moldings or the popular Buick chrome-plated road wheels, so perhaps the brochure images counted for little. One wonders what percentage of Centurions were ordered by dealers for their inventory rather than ordered by customers precisely as they desired.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Centurion; 02-10-2012 at 11:08 AM.

In a stroke of good fortune, I stumbled across several additional photos of this car, which was described as a 54,000 mile original that sold for $6,500 just a few months ago. It appears to have some light body damage on the passenger door, but it is still a great looking car! I love the cornering lamp option.

Clearly an early production car with the rim blower steering wheel option in the saddle interior. Is that automatic climate control A/C that I'm seeing?

And one more video!

http://youtu.be/ZrZzLOLbi7E

I would say someone got a very nice car!!! Did you notice it has 'Climate Control" ?

Quote Originally Posted by My3buicks View Post
    I would say someone got a very nice car!!! Did you notice it has 'Climate Control" ?
    Yes, Keith. This appears to be a fairly loaded car, making the absence of the remote control outside mirror all the more surprising!

Probably some old person that said "I don't use those mirrors anyway just give me the base one"

Just put a new side molding on it and touch up the nicks in it and leave it..i would not dare do paintwork on it if its original! A beauty!

All, I have been in touch with the owner of this car to see if he still had it after the last EBay auction, and to get more info/pics. I have a number of pics of the car - looks pretty clean. Seller wants around $10-11K for it now - and seems firm at that price. Car has around 55K miles on it now.

Frank (Seller) says he has added electronic ignition, a CD changer, has a car cover, dash cover and new moldings for both sides. Dings/dents are still present.

Seller's pics that he sent can be seen here:
    http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/...ion/?start=all

Let me know if anyone wants the seller's e-mail.
    Last edited by Rhino; 09-11-2012 at 12:26 AM.

I still see a very nice car, an is what it is car. What I am not seeing is a $10 or $11K car. It appears the top needs replaced or replaced soon - done right, not cheap. The body work on the passenger side will not be an inexpensive fix, and I doubt you would ever get a paint match that would satisfy. I see a dent in the hood also in those pics. I am guessing an entire repaint would really need done. The undercarriage is anything but clean and I am assuming the engine looks similar. Again, a very nice car, but not anywhere near that price.

Indeed. Have to agree on this. Nice car but on the high side.

+ Reply to Thread