+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 71 fullsize GMs

Default 71 fullsize GMs

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2562085013.html

http://erie.craigslist.org/cto/2552187052.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/2558835755.html

http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...tml#post308596

The last one I saw Brian posted on. Its a great deal.

My first car was a 1971 pontiac grand ville 2dr the same as these cars. I bought it when I was 18 with money saved up from my first job(building trusses) on Mare Island where my Grandfather built submarines. I paid $475 for it and eventually had to sell it because the tickets came pouring in and my parents told I couldnt be on their insurance. Man I loved that car. Eventually I started using the internet about 5 years ago and started to buy 71 grandvilles when I could find them. My Brother has a 2dr and I have a 2dr and 4dr. I have decided to try out the other fullsize GMs and couldnt wait to get a Centurion. I have seen Brians pics of the reunion trip. I love your car.

Aaron, thanks so much for posting this topic! I've loved the '71 full-size GM cars since they were first introduced, and remember well checking out a new '71 Pontiac Grand Ville 2-door hardtop at the dealership. My parents were very interested, but were committed Buick buyers by that time.

I love how each of the cars you've linked are Sandalwood with dark vinyl roofs (except for the Olds 98, with the Sandalwood vinyl roof). These cars are "my" color combination, and I think that Buick was alone in calling the color "Sandpiper Beige" instead of Sandalwood.

I have corresponded via e-mail with the owner of a '71 Pontiac Bonneville 2-door hardtop in this same color combination, and have also been in recent contact with the owner of a beautiful '71 Olds Delta 88 Royale 2-door hardtop.

I always keep my eyes open for the '71 big GM's in my area, thinking that it would someday be fun to gather these cars together for a tour or show.

Please show us photos of your Grand Villes sometime; I guarantee that we'd appreciate seeing them!
    Last edited by Centurion; 08-24-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Brian Laurance, BCA # 5168
    A Centurion driver since December, 1970

1971 Centurion Formal Coupe

Nothing like a 71. I will get some pics together. My brothers car is black with pearl white interior. It just got its second go around of being surfaced. My brother is anal and wants it perfect especially because its a factory black car so we have a bit of wet sanding to do before we can spray. I will find pics of it before we stripped it. My 2dr just got painted and upholstered. Im freshening the 455 and it will be back on the road. It is aztec gold(brown) with brown vinyl top and interior. my 4dr is just like the pontiac dealership poster for 1971. Baja gold with sandlewood top and deluxe cloth interior. I am getting one of my computers revived after its last crap out so I can get my photos back. I will then add them to my photo bucket. I did add some albums to my photobucket of work we have done and the 75 caprice I sold to get this centurion so check it out. The link is in the car arrival thread. My father just left for california today 8-25. He is attending his 40th class reunion as well. I hope he has a blast cause he deserves it.

I really like the 71 delta. If it had power windows I would push for it but its still a beautiful car. Super clean under the hood for a rust belt car. Is the bonneville listed in grand rapids? I thought I saw a rough looking bonneville or catalina in sandlewood that was listed as a grandville. I do like the 1k olds 98 but I dont want anymore projects. I will pay thousands extra now days not to deal with restoration stuff. I want to get in a drive.

Aaron, the Bonneville and Delta 88 Royale I'm referring to are not for sale. They are simply cars owned by fellow enthusiasts.

Here's the Bonneville, which is located in North Carolina:

And here's the Delta 88 Royale, which is located in Michigan:

Here's a cool '71 Delta 88 Royale coupe, but it would require a repaint, new rear bumper, etc. I like that it lacks the protective bodyside molding. And, of course, if you buy a Royale coupe, then you would just have to get a Centurion Formal Coupe as a companion piece for your Grand Ville and Delta 88 Royale!

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/2541838953.html

Wow, the green Delta 88 is beautiful! They were really pretty cars.

Oh, I thought you were talking about these sandlewood cars.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2562471101.html

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/2562828858.html

The pontiac is a catalina. 71 bonneville's were standard 455 2bbl and have a bonneville nameplate on the grille. This one has a 400 and a pontiac nameplate.

I like the royale's. The delta coupes seem more sporty than the olds 98 coupe. I hope I can find a good 71 formal coupe. I remember seeing a member here some months to a year back listed a super clean formal coupe on ebay. It was a copperish red color. I think there is pictures of it on the main registry page. Man I wish to own one that nice. Did it sell? I hope to find a 4dr centurion with power in super clean shape like that knowing the prices on 4drs are more reasonable.
    Last edited by 1971centurion; 08-25-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Aaron, that Sandalwood Delta 88 looks like a very nice car, but I personally think that the Delta 88 Royale -- most similar to the Centurion and Grand Ville in terms of marketing position -- would be the Olds to look for.

Regrding the '71 Formal Coupe, the car you're thinking of belonged to Adam Martin ("Smartin"), who created this Centurion forum and registry. He sold the car to help fund the restoration of a rare and desirable 1958 Buick Limited. The car was acquired by another member here -- "Gabe". I think that the car is very likely the finest '71 Formal Coupe in existence, but, of course, we know of only a handful of these cars. The color, by the way, was called "Burnished Cinnamon", and it was the most popular paint color for the '71 Formal Coupes, followed by Sandpiper Beige.

Aaron, is this '71 finished in the Baja Gold or Aztec Gold?

I do recall the darker "milk chocolate" gold color, which was the color of the first '71 full-size Pontiac I saw -- back in the fall of 1970. Unfortunately, I can't locate a photo showing that color.

Thats the baja gold. My grand ville looks like that but sandlewood top and those side moldings that run through the middle of the car. The aztec is a chocolate or maybe rootbeer brown. It really isnt gold but in the sun it pops out and looks really deep. I used ppg 2 stage paint with dcu 2021 for clear coat so it probably doesnt look like the original single stage paint did. I will get some pics of it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    Aaron, the Bonneville and Delta 88 Royale I'm referring to are not for sale. They are simply cars owned by fellow enthusiasts.

Here's the Bonneville, which is located in North Carolina:

And here's the Delta 88 Royale, which is located in Michigan:

AWESOME looking Bonneville!!!
    Gabe
    BCA# 45430
    1971 Buick GS 455 Stage 1
    1971 Buick Centurion Formal Coupe - SOLD
    1972 Buick LeSabre Custon 4DR HT - SOLD
    2010 BMW 528i X-Drive MSport - SOLD
    2013 BMW 550 X-Drive M Sport
    acqrealty@gmail.com

When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept, for there were no more worlds left to conquer.

+ Reply to Thread