+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Modified-or Not?

Default Modified-or Not?

I am the proud owner of a 1972 Centurion Formal Coupe, and I just love it, it's a great car. My family and I enjoy it very much. My car is on the registry, built in Southgate, CA.

Ok, here's the scenario. The car was built as Antique Gold with a Sandalwood vinyl top. The previous owner had it painted in Vintage Red, a 1972 Riviera only color, with a white vinyl top. It's a very classy color combination, and Bob's color list does show that over two dozen coupes came that way from the factory.

My car also has the 3 spoke sport steering wheel, the dual sport body-color mirrors, and the Riviera-only engine turned dash sections.

With the paint, steering wheel, mirrors and dash changes, should I consider this car modified? If it is, each change is 1972 appropriate changes, and the car still can't be considered very modified. In fact, most people probably wouldn't consider it modified at all.

So, is this car modified, or not? What do you think?
    BCA #40104
    Gopher State Buick Club of America

1972 Buick Centurion Formal Coupe

Redrob,
    Since you are asking for opinions on your question, my opinion is yes. The change in paint probably would not be detected unless someone was a real die hard and checked the body plate but the change to Vintage Red would have been a possibility as it was an available '72 Buick color albeit a SCO.

But the options you mentioned were never available on Centurions so these actually are modifications to the factory standard.

By the way, I remember seeing and documenting your car on ebay when it was in its original configuration and before Carl made the modifications some years ago.
    Bob Alberini BCA 3038
    Columbus, OH
    Centurion owner since 1973

Thanks for your response, Bob. The problem is that the modifications are so minor that the car isn't stock and most modifieds are more extreme. I love the color as is, and I would consider changing the steering wheel back and the mirrors if they used the same mounting holes. I like the distinctive Riviera dash.
    BCA #40104

Redrob, if you are asking on a judging standpoint such as if you would take it to a Buick National for instance - then yes, the items listed would be a deduction and considered modifications.

As far as paint, if you would get a keen judge that knew that Vintage Red was not a standard 72 Centurion color then I believe there would be a deduction there also, if the car had been changed to any of the "standard" available colors for 72 that would not be an issue/deduction - but for a non standard color to not be a deduction it would need to show as an SCO color on your data tag I would believe. If this were not the case, we could change our cars to anything we wanted and authenticity at the higher judging levels would be lost.

That all said, if your not planning on having your car judge nationally then if you like the changes, enjoy them. But I would ask that you never try to pass any of the changes off as factory or correct - that could lead to someone else making a change thinking it was legit.

I never suggested in any way that the car came that way from the factory. I was asking about the modifications to clarify them, to see what others might think because I appreciate your opinions.

I don't think bringing up the idea of passing off the car as factory correct ever occurred to me--the previous owner pointed out the changes to me, and eventually I'll do the same. I get where you're coming from, but I wasn't talking about claiming it was 'legit. I don't even like the word, it makes it sound like my car is unsafe and/or illegal. Where does the 'legit' idea come in, anyway?
    BCA #40104

Some of our frustrations regarding originality stem from people who think an item on their car is factory correct, when it's not. Things like the sport mirrors and Riviera dash bezels can easily be mistaken for correct parts by folks who haven't been around these cars enough to know what is really correct and what is not.

Your car is tastefully modified, and would make an interesting test to see how the BCA judged fare with their knowledge on these cars!
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

You have a period correct mild custom. Lets face it your car doesnt need to be judged. It will be driven enjoyed and appreciated by everyone that sees it. Some people are sticklers when it comes to original and you will probably never bump into anyone on the streets that knows the difference. Your changes are minor except for paint but all of that can easily be corrected if desired. Modifying your car is something chevy people do. Not pertaining to you but too big of welt cord in your seat is a deduction too.

Legitimate - "In accordance with established rules, principles, or standards" (one of the given definitions)

That is how I was using the word legit.

Not insinuating you would pass the modifications off as correct, that was more of a suggestion to open you eyes to the possibility of others from thinking/"assuming" something was correct.

+ Reply to Thread