+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Centurion Picture of the Day!!

Default Picture of the day.

No occaision, just had the car out and took a pic. The front whitewalls have discolored. I've tried Bleechwhite, and SOS pads. I hate to replace tires because of the whitewall, but I hate driving around with dirty whitewalls. Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

it is a pretty car!!!!!!!

I have heard of people taking very fine sand paper and lightly sanding the whitewalls to get color back.

Do some searches on the AACA forum, seems to me this was coverd in detail somewhere on there.

Great photo of a beautiful car, Randy!

I love the wide rocker moldings, and it's refreshing to see a Centurion with the wire wheel cover option. Most of the Centurions we see have the chrome-plated road wheels, and your car's different wheel trim makes it stand out.
    Brian Laurance, BCA # 5168
    A Centurion driver since December, 1970

1971 Centurion Formal Coupe

Try comet with a scrub brush and some water on that whitewall before you sand it. If it's still the same, then go for the sand paper.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

Hi all! Been pretty busy with family stuff actually the cars were shelved for most of the year. Even missed the Buick Performance Meet, whiched killed me. College tuition for our son we decided not to tap the college funds and squeeze it out instead with up front money put away in the last half year so things were tighter then a flea ass. But long term we are better off with one years tuition done. Anyway FINALLY making it out on some weekend cruises with the Mrs to up State NY and PA., nothing like cruising with the top down thru country roads and small towns. Also will make my only trek this year to the race track this Sept 23. So I had to get the chassis re-certified for racing. Shot below is at the shop where I broke out my Centurion for its double duty. I recently swapped out the original 10 bolt open 2.73 rear with a 12 bolt (it's huge) posi rear from a 45,000 mile '73 Electra. It chattered a bit on starting slowly so a rear fluid and posi additive change will be needed asap. Its would be better then the 10 bolt being stronger and having larger brakes.

I do have a question here. I have a set of 3.08 gears and also a posi unit for the 10 bolt rear. Can those 3.08 gears for the 10 bolt fit in that full size 12 bolt rear? My guess is no, but would be hoping to be able to use the 3.08s in place of the 2.73 gears which are also in the 12 bolt. Otherwise I do have a posi unit (in really good condition) along with 3.08 gears (used and in great cond.) that I may be selling.

Oh and catching up on the other posts, Yes my '73 has AC, Automatic Climate Control, power windows, and factory chrome wheels. lol
    Last edited by centurion 455 ragtop; 08-22-2011 at 07:01 PM.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Rick Martinez

1973 Centurion 455 convertible - My show & tow car
    1970 GS455 Racecar
    9.25 @ 144.83, 3070 lbs

Beautiful!

buick_tour_2011_024_original.jpg

buick_tour_2011_032_original.jpg

My wife and I returned late Sunday from a three-day Buick regional driving tour. We traveled in the Yakima, Washington wine country in a group of 26 vintage Buicks from the states of Washington and Idaho and from British Columbia, Canada. Not surprisingly, ours was the only Centurion, but we traveled with several Skylarks, GS's, and Rivieras from the same era.

These driving tours are always my favorite auto events of the year.

Do you have more photos of that event, Brian?
    Rob

Rob, I hope that I will receive additional photos, but I have not yet replaced my recently-broken camera, so am relying on others to pass along photos. I will post anything here that would be of interest.

Would love to see more.... Buicks events are allways of interest
    Rob

Alright just got home from a race event 4 1/2 hours away. Towed my GS down to Cecil County, MD with my Centurion. Got a blistering 8-9 mpg with the ac cranking. Ran great got down there and it rained! So we hung out and drank, and it rained some more, so we drank some more. Ended up getting rained out, but have to say she towed great! Without the air I get around 10-11 mpg cruising around 65. Temp gage was at 195-205 all vitals were good. So my one and only picture for the day (actually a few days)
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Rick Martinez

1970 GS455 Racecar
    9.25 @ 144.83, 3070 lbs

Nice photos here and interesting stories too ! - Here is a picture of my car, taken 2 days ago.
    We now have some weeks with warm sunny weather, so Iīm cruising with the land-yacht, letting the wind rush through my hair .
    Rolf

Nice shot Rolf, she is looking real nice.

Rick Martinez

1970 GS455 Racecar
    9.25 @ 144.83, 3070 lbs

Thanks, Rick ! Tried my best to have a pic which is good enough among the others here.

BTW: Seems as if you had some great days on tour in spite of the rain. Itīs always something very special to see such a racing car on a trailer which is towed by an elegant vintage Buick instead of an big SUV or a Pickup. Hope your new posi rear axle didnīt worsen the mileage too much, Rick. To me it still seems to be good enough for towing such a loaded trailer.

Added : A photo of some days later - parking in the courtyard of an old castle:
    Last edited by The German; 10-25-2011 at 02:17 PM.
    Rolf

+ Reply to Thread