+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Could use some advice.

A couple more questions.

I cant understand how the front lights work. each light closest to the grill on both sides doesent work and the thread inside looks ok. it doesent look like its a bulb that can be replaced and i dont know how the get them out. do i have to loosen the whole frame of the lights?

Im also thinking of mounting speakers in the dash and was wondering if anyone sells the brackets needed for this? didnt look like there was any when i looked up from the glove compartment.

And one last thing. The fuse panel under the steering wheel is full of **** and has been cleaned... Much of the writing has dissappeared on it so i am uncertain what amp fuses to replace in some of the slots. could you post a picture of yours?

Thanks!

The lights on the inside are the high beam lamps they only come on when the lights are switched on and you switch to high beam with the foot switch located on the floor behind the parking brake pedal
    Some advice on the lights
    In most of Europe the sealed beam headlights are not recommended or illegal due to the form of the light projected on the road
    On my car they have been replaced by Hella H4 (normal) and H7 (Hi Beam)on these you can change the light bulb on sealed beams you can not
    due to the fact these halogen light bulps uses more current it is advisible to modify the wire loom for the headlight to incorporate relays otherwise all that current have to be handeled by the Bi metal safty switch inside the light switch and that can result in lights going on and of while in use or worse

The front speaker can be maximum 4" there is no extra room on top of the dash
    This is an idea i want to do when my car is ready
    I gonna buy a set with separate tweeters midrange and base speakers
    I am gonna mount the tweeters and the midrange left and right the two base speaker i mount in the center of the dash

The pic of the fuse box i'l have to owe you
    I am dismanteling my car for restauration in the fall and i have seemed to have misplaced my owners manual
    Perhaps the other guys can provide a picture for you

Suggestion buy this it is fun and helpful
    http://www.ebay.nl/itm/1973-BUICK-LE...item5ae6ca74ef
    Last edited by Gum,beest; 06-17-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    Erik
    Ridderkerk
    The Netherlands
    gumbeest@msn.com

Buick Centurion 455-4 convertible (1973)

Hyundai XG 350 (2003)
    Chrysler Sebring convertible (2001)
    Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T (1999)

Suzuki GSX-R 750 (1991)

So I found my owners manual and have scanned the page from the fuse box

The fuse should be easy to find at you local carparts store exept for one
    And that is the tiny 4 amp one at the bottom of the fuse box
    so take extra care if you want to remove it if it breaks and you can not find a new one
    I know a way to modifiy the fuse box to except the new tiny plug fuse used in modern cars
    It involves some cutting and hacking of some brass rondbar

Erik
    Ridderkerk
    The Netherlands
    gumbeest@msn.com

Hyundai XG 350 (2003)

Suzuki GSX-R 750 (1991)

Hi Erik!

I fell of for a while and didnt know you had answered. I have ordered the centurion manual, thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the scan of the fuse box. i did take it out and replaced all the fuses and tried scraping of as much corosion as i could in the fuse compartments.. do you know how i can get rid of all of it?

Does anyone know where i can get a new dash switch for the convertible roof motor? The one that is on there now is going bad. need to push it really hard to get connection. I have changed the relay for the motor so im pretty sure its the switch. Is this something i need to buy used or is it possible to get ahold of a new one. Classicbuicks.com has some for the dashboard but it doesent look like they have this one.

One more thing. is the rubber collision strip something i must find used or do they sell them new? I have searched the web alot and havent found anything.

No worry's
    The only thing you can do for the fuse box is cleaning the terminals with sandpaper and electro cleaner spray (disconnect the battery)
    I myself am leaning towarts a complete new one with modern fuses like this http://ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html or similar

The convertible top switch are reare to find but one pops up from time to time on Ebay or regularly try this site http://www.buickfarm.net/index.php?o...d=1&Itemid=101 but for the moment you check this one first http://www.oldbuickparts.com/catalog...75-p-3840.html
    If you press the switch hard you make it worse the switch is very fragile and might break
    It is better to take it out of the dash and on the work bench pry it carefully open and clean the contacts the same way as the fuse box terminals

And by the rubber collision strip you mean the one on the front and or on the rear bumper they are impossible to find and there are no reproductions
    I am looking for something that looks like it but even that is hard to find
    Last edited by Gum,beest; 04-11-2013 at 08:42 AM.
    Erik
    Ridderkerk
    The Netherlands
    gumbeest@msn.com

Hyundai XG 350 (2003)

Suzuki GSX-R 750 (1991)

I'm guessing the relay for the top would be the famous sun roof relay..lol.
    Did they ever put a power sun roof in the 1970's?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,3828

To answer your question a few pages back
    Hooking up a gauge to a full vacuum port like on the intake manifold will give you a full reading.
    Vacuum ports above the throttle plates are affected by air flow through the carb.
    The vacuum signal changes depending on idle speed and load.

+ Reply to Thread