+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Passenger Remote Mirror: for '75, onto '71: Where to Install Joystick?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Saint Charles, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Ok guys..

    Do you have any suggestions on how to break down the modified section of the forums?
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by My3buicks View Post
    Your opinion, my opinion plain and simple. Yes I can say to you "YOU'RE JUST WRONG" just as you are saying to me. I said this type of thing frustrates me - I didn't say you can't do it - I did say "I realize it is the owners car and they can do with them what they want"

    There is room for everyone's tastes on a forum, but they need to be kept from blending what's authentic and what is not plain and simple. Other forums have very much outlined areas for various segments of the hobby, maybe we should also.
    I guess that is one really positive aspect of clubs like the AACA - there is no tolerance for non-authentic vehicles - they strive to uphold and maintain cars as they were originally meant to be.
    Well, in fact what you condescendingly said to me, among other things, was worse,: "If you think...you're sadly mistaken..." (see above); my point is, who appointed you the arbiter and policeman of what others do? To assert that one person's small modification to his car "destroys" the authenticity of another's unmodified car is analogous to a remodeling job of one person's 1920's bungalow, let's just say, to include other features not originally found on it; let's say a modern screen door. Does this "destroy" the authenticity of the unmodified, original bungalow, by the same architect and builder, found right next door? Obviously not, and this is why you are, indeed, just plain wrong. But moreover: you persist in going on to say things like "but they need to be kept from blending what's authentic and what is not plain and simple" (see immediately above). That sounds like an ad from a eugenics campaign! Who's blending anything here? I'm modifying my car, and you're not. My car is inauthentic, and yours isn't. My minor addition of a non-original mirror in no way affects you, and my discussing it on this section of this forum again in no way affects you. Who are you to be keeping anybody from anything, except for perhaps not touching your car?
    Last edited by SBRMD; 03-14-2011 at 12:51 PM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    120

    Default

    You know, you can make an opinion that the sky is red. That may be your opinion, but it doesn't change the fact that you're wrong.

    Unless you're on Mars.
    Last edited by SBRMD; 03-14-2011 at 12:59 PM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,050

    Default red

    Quote Originally Posted by SBRMD View Post
    You know, you can make an opinion that the sky is red. That may be your opinion, but it doesn't change the fact that you're wrong.

    Unless you're on Mars.
    Sometimes in the early morning and in the evening the sky is kind of red.

    So, who is wrong? Maybe you could be wrong about other things also? Just sayin !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by My3buicks View Post
    Sometimes in the early morning and in the evening the sky is kind of red.

    So, who is wrong? Maybe you could be wrong about other things also? Just sayin !!
    Ha! Nice loophole creation. I think you know what I meant.

    How about this, I'm sure you'll feel this one: one of the judges at the next BCA meet, that you've trained, approaches you and says: "Did you see that blue '71 Electra on the show field, in the points-judged area, with the excellent road wheels? It was perfect in every way. I gave it 400!"

    His opinion/your opinion? Or just plain wrong?

    He goes on to say, "Keith, since your orange convert is an SCO car, and really rare, and while "authentic", really not too representative of run-of the-mill Centurions, I don't think it should be parked on the same show field as the rest of the Centurions, as you already have done. We should park it across the street. Please move it, we don't want this one-off sort of car near our more reasonable examples."

    His opinion/your opinion? Or just plain wrong? In fact, intolerant?
    Last edited by SBRMD; 03-14-2011 at 01:22 PM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Easy ones to answer:

    Scenario one: Just plain wrong - road wheels are not correct for BCA judging on a 71 Electra, thus a mandatory deduction would be given. Furthermore, any car with a "mandatory" deduction disqualifies it from receiving the highest award - The Senior Award. Even if you took off the Mandatory 10 points and it got 390 which would still in points qualify it as a Senior, the fact that it had Mandatory points deducted disqualifies it from Senior status.

    Scenario two: Since the Orange car is factory correct, documented correct and did in fact come from the factory like that, then it would be proper to display it with the point judged cars. (and btw, it would have no Mandatory deductions)

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by My3buicks View Post
    Easy ones to answer:

    Scenario one: Just plain wrong - road wheels are not correct for BCA judging on a 71 Electra, thus a mandatory deduction would be given. Furthermore, any car with a "mandatory" deduction disqualifies it from receiving the highest award - The Senior Award. Even if you took off the Mandatory 10 points and it got 390 which would still in points qualify it as a Senior, the fact that it had Mandatory points deducted disqualifies it from Senior status.

    Scenario two: Since the Orange car is factory correct, documented correct and did in fact come from the factory like that, then it would be proper to display it with the point judged cars. (and btw, it would have no Mandatory deductions)
    My point Keith is that neither of these hypotheticals is a "His opinion/my opinion"; I made them up to depict the speaker to be obviously wrong both times. Both times he was giving his opinion. And you have called him wrong both times. Thank you.
    Last edited by SBRMD; 03-14-2011 at 02:37 PM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    I said those are easy ones to answer because they both pertained to clear cut written judging rules within the BCA Judging - if you are going to play the game of tripping me up, use scenarios where there actually isnt a right or wrong answer, ones that truly pertain to opinions versus facts.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by My3buicks View Post
    I said those are easy ones to answer because they both pertained to clear cut written judging rules within the BCA Judging - if you are going to play the game of tripping me up, use scenarios where there actually isnt a right or wrong answer, ones that truly pertain to opinions versus facts.
    Well, you're missing the point. Not trying to trip you up at all.

    The point being, you have absolutely no trouble telling someone they're wrong when it's obvious, when the other person is just giving their opinion.

    You can dish it out but you can't take it.
    Last edited by SBRMD; 03-14-2011 at 04:07 PM.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    You don't know me well, Love Controversy, keep dishing, this is amateur hour

  11. #31
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Hey guys...! While we're on the subject of mirrors.. ;-)
    I mounted a non remote passenger side mirror on my 73 Centurion Conv. (don't know if it's stock or correct, but I do love being able to see what's behind me on that side.)
    Here's my question, how do I keep it adjusted? Every time someone closes the passenger door, it moves out of adjusted spot. It is a Buick mirror from a 73 2 door hardtop Centurion. Is there a way to tighten the action on this mirror?

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    120

    Default

    How timely:

    http://forums.aaca.org/f115/show-car...od-299986.html

    In that current BCA site thread, which includes several notable contributors ssuch as Roberta from Flint (BuickRacer), Bill Stoneberg, and current BCA President Rick Young, relative merits of restoring as show cars vs. hot rods are discussed. Of course, not once is the fascistic notion of "Modifying your car destroys the authenticity and value of my correct car" asserted. Because it doesn't, and because the vast majority of people are just not into that kind of snobbery and jealosy. And these are people with lots of "Collector car experience".

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBRMD View Post
    Of course, not once is the fascistic notion of "Modifying your car destroys the authenticity and value of my correct car" asserted.
    I think if you are to continue with this rant you need to read every one of my posts in this thread and never once will you see me say what you have in your mind I said. You are very good at fabricating what you would like to think I said.

    "Modifying your car destroys the authenticity and value of my correct car"- is what you continually post that I said - which unless I am blind I never said

    Modifying a car can and will destroy authenticity of that car of course - it can also destroy other cars down the lines authenticity if the owners assume such modifications are correct to that particular make and model. As far as destroying the value of a correct car that's ludecrues, a correct car will almost always have more value han a bastardized one.

    So please, do not make up in your mind what you think you would like for me to have said.
    Last edited by My3buicks; 03-16-2011 at 12:14 PM.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    120

    Default I don't have to.

    Quote Originally Posted by My3buicks View Post
    I think if you are to continue with this rant you need to read every one of my posts in this thread and never once will you see me say what you have in your mind I said. You are very good at fabricating what you would like to think I said.

    "Modifying your car destroys the authenticity and value of my correct car"- is what you continually post that I said - which unless I am blind I never said

    Modifying a car can and will destroy authenticity of that car of course - it can also destroy other cars down the lines authenticity if the owners assume such modifications are correct to that particular make and model. As far as destroying the value of a correct car that's ludecrues, a correct car will almost always have more value han a bastardized one.

    So please, do not make up in your narrow mind what you think you would like for me to have said.
    Shoe too tight Keith? I though this was just "amatuer hour" to you, or would you claim that's a misquote or fabrication too? Didn't you invite more dishing?

    You keep doing it over and over yourself, to yourself, again just now, right up there about an inch and it's all right here in this thread for all the people on the forum to see, any of my paraphrases notwithstanding. Like a guy who tells racist jokes and then, upon a negative reaction, says "What's wrong with that? What did I say?"

    In fact, you're the one who needed, and started to rant. I was just asking the colleagues about how to mount a mirror. But you were "frustrated". Who asked you, anyway?

    Regarding narrowness of mind? Who's the one seeking to set divisions for what others do here, and who's the one saying mind your own business? A classis case of psychological projection.

    Sad.

    But you're the experienced club officeholder. You're just the kind of guy, with the kind of viewpoint and temperament, that needs to be in leadership and training judges.

    Not.
    Last edited by SBRMD; 03-16-2011 at 02:24 PM.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Shoe to tight? no, I just wanted to make sure you keep the facts and what I said straight and not twist it in your mind. As far as setting divisions, if people have more specific areas to post and read according to their likes and needs and not have to wade through stuff that doesn't interest them, then it's a better forum.

    Again, I don't recall mentioning anything about being a club officer????? "Club office holder"(as you call it) and being a "tech advisor and a judge"(what I called it) does not constitute being an office holder, but then we are straining the info through your mind, so maybe so.

    I don't believe I stated I trained judges either = maybe you really are delusional????? HELLO, ANYONE HOME ? ?

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by My3buicks View Post
    Shoe to tight? no, I just wanted to make sure you keep the facts and what I said straight and not twist it in your mind. As far as setting divisions, if people have more specific areas to post and read according to their likes and needs and not have to wade through stuff that doesn't interest them, then it's a better forum.

    Again, I don't recall mentioning anything about being a club officer????? "Club office holder"(as you call it) and being a "tech advisor and a judge"(what I called it) does not constitute being an office holder, but then we are straining the info through your mind, so maybe so.

    I don't believe I stated I trained judges either = maybe you really are delusional????? HELLO, ANYONE HOME ? ?
    Are not "BCA Tech Advisor" and National Judge" "for many years offices of sorts? Don't advisors generally advise? And don't people who are "National Judges" "for many years" in the BCA generally train others? Such limited thinking.

    But why reduce yourself to quibbling about how people interpret your boasts? If you believe in what you say so strongly, then bully for you.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Yes advisors advise, and it is to be advise on the proper restoration and preservation of Buicks and Judges do teach both owners and new judges, but they teach as to what is correct to the issue of the Judging an authentic car. The teaching and the hard lesson the owners get is when they find out that the restored car they bought and thought was a show winner actually had any number of incorrect items added (let's just for giggles say a remote passenger mirror) or incorrect features.

    I do feel proud and boastful that I have helped many people over the years preserve and restore Buicks to there former and proper glory - that you can take to the bank.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by My3buicks View Post
    Yes advisors advise, and it is to be advise on the proper restoration and preservation of Buicks and Judges do teach both owners and new judges, but they teach as to what is correct to the issue of the Judging an authentic car. The teaching and the hard lesson the owners get is when they find out that the restored car they bought and thought was a show winner actually had any number of incorrect items added (let's just for giggles say a remote passenger mirror) or incorrect features.

    I do feel proud and boastful that I have helped many people over the years preserve and restore Buicks to there former and proper glory - that you can take to the bank.
    You most obviously do.

    And it's the responsibility of the buyer of a "restored" car to know what he's buying, especially to spot modifications and/or additions before purchase. Not the responsibility of the prior owner to think, as he wants to have a safer mirror on the passenger side of his car, "I better not do this so that the next guy can get more points at the meet." And it is certainly not the responsibility, portfolio, or even right of club members to function as jealous watchdogs of others.

    My very original 36,000 mile '49 Roadmaster Sedanette has, ironically, a pair of incorrect outisde mirrors on the doors, that I hate and will have to remove and fill holes from when the time comes. Do I wish they weren't there? Yes. Did it keep me from buying the car? No, just another factor on the pro/con list. Would I ever even intimate that the prior owner did something wrong? No. The presence of the mirrors is my problem, not his.
    Last edited by SBRMD; 03-16-2011 at 02:00 PM.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Safer? In what way - I have a correct mirror on my 72's passenger door and it functions as it should.

    Jealous?? of what?? That's just silly.

    Didn't realize this site was a club???? Thought it was a forum.

    Actually, a forum about Centurions, hhhmmm, I stop and ponder.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by My3buicks View Post
    Safer? In what way - I have a correct mirror on my 72's passenger door and it functions as it should.

    Jealous?? of what?? That's just silly.

    Didn't realize this site was a club???? Thought it was a forum.

    Actually, a forum about Centurions, hhhmmm, I stop and ponder.
    Again, such limited, concrete thinking. Your mother would be so proud. You just show everybody over and over. Check Webster's then ponder more.

    You better tell Adam that next time he does anything with one of his non-Centurion Buicks, he better not talk about it on his own site, according to the Laws of Keithworld.

    Later much.
    Last edited by SBRMD; 03-16-2011 at 02:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts