+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to buy this special Speedometer Cable ??

Default Where to buy this special Speedometer Cable ??

Cruise control unit problems caused the search for a new special speedometer cable

Now itīs me having problems : the cruise control unit under the hood was blocked so that the end of the speedo cable coming from the transmission is broken at the upper end. This end is made of plastic so there is no damage at the cruise unit or at the transmission.

I pulled the unit and opened it : copper powder everywhere (!) and the air filter filled with dust. The air filter is made of foam rubber and fell apart in little pieces when I tried to get it out. I cleaned all parts from the dust and the rests of the air filter so that the wheels in the cruise unit moved again. I put a light oil with some graphite powder into the gears and they turned free and easy again. Only the magnetic wheel and the coppered free wheel (speed disc) were rubbing each other a little bit; guess thatīs the reason for the copper dust in the gear house. I moved the wheel on its axle a very little bit so that it came more free but then it was the cover (field plate) which rubbed a little bit at this wheel (speed disc). So I again moved this wheel in the middle (speed disc) a little bit but could only get it to a position where it turns NEARLY free but not totally. So itīs better than I found it but not really good. Guess I have to live with this position.

Okay so far, but where to get a new speedo cable ? I phoned with some German car parts shops but they only have the upper speedo cable (that one going to the spedometer) or a much longer one (63" instead of 57" which was the length of my cable). Also this long cable only has steel ends – not the upper plastic end which broke away this way saving the cruise control unit from more damage.

Question to you, my friends, is now :
    where can I get the correct cable (57" long and with the upper end made of plastic) ???
    (I tried to find it in the US but only found this :
    http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Speedometer...urion/-/-/1971
    http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Speedometer...04/388719/1971
    which also has steel ends only and is longer (61" or 63") than what I found in my car ! )
    Any ideas appreciated !
    Rolf

Hi Rolf
    found some cables at Rockauto http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?
    and then go to Buick / year / Centurion / body-interior / speedocables
    Only they have cables that are 63"long trans to cruise control, 41"long cruise control to speedometer
    and one 61"long without cruise control
    I also don't know if there is a plastic tip on them
    I have checked mine and mine do not have a plastic tip did not measure the length do
    Are you sure that yours are the original ones?
    i buy frequent at rock auto they ship very fast and the parts arrive in just 3 to 5 days

Last edited by Gum,beest; 09-22-2010 at 10:41 PM.
    Erik
    Ridderkerk
    The Netherlands
    gumbeest@msn.com

Buick Centurion 455-4 convertible (1973)

Hyundai XG 350 (2003)
    Chrysler Sebring convertible (2001)
    Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T (1999)

Suzuki GSX-R 750 (1991)

Thanks, Erik !

The Dorman cables are for sale here in Germany, but these cables have a length of 63" and they only have the steel endings. Probably they are good for our cars normally, but I had a blocked cruise control unit and guess in such a case itīs better having a "should-break-fist-point" which avoids other damage. The upper ending of the cable made of plastic seems to be a good ensurance for me b/c I canīt be sure that a blockade of the cruise unit will not happen again. I couldnīt get the speed disk in a position where it turns totally free, so there will be some wear and so there will come some copper dust again.

Okay, I will open the unit once a year now and clean it but in spite of this I would really feel better to have the cable with the upper plastic ending. Thatīs why Iīm searching for such a cable.

The old cable looks as if itīs not a very old one, so that I hope that itīs still for sale somewhere and that there is someone here who knows where to get it.
    Rolf

No Worry's Rolf
    I also think it is good to have a weak point in the "chain"
    But as i said your cable is probably not the original
    I will take notice of the play and free running of the disk inside the Cruise Control when i will pull it apart, but for now it is still working
    Each winter a tackle another part of the engine bay do i hope this winter i have the time to do the inner fenders and every thing on them
    Erik
    Ridderkerk
    The Netherlands
    gumbeest@msn.com

Hyundai XG 350 (2003)

Suzuki GSX-R 750 (1991)

Hey Rolf,
    If you look over on the V8 Buick site there is a man parting a 1971 Electra in the parts for sale section with cruise master. I would think the cables and such would be the same.
    HTH
    Jim

Thanks for this info, Jim ! I will ask him.

On the other hand yesterday evening I cut a piece of plastic out of an old cassette holder, formed it to be a replacement for the broken plastic pin and fixed it to my old cable with a special industrial adhesive. Some hours later in the early night I tested it by driving the car some miles and it worked !!! No one knows how long this repair will last but for the moment itīs okay now and I will test if the cruise master will work good again within the coming days or weeks (since today morning we have rainy weather here). Iīll keep you posted about that.

In spite of this short term solution of my problem I keep on searching for a new replacement cable with the plastic end and still hope to get an info where such a cable could be found probably - someone with ideas ?

Last edited by The German; 09-24-2010 at 04:44 AM. Reason: photo added
    Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by Gum,beest View Post
    ... ... But as i said your cable is probably not the original. ... ...
    Erik, I now found on 2 sites this note for the 61"- and 63"-replacement-speedo-cables :
    "1971 1972 1973 Buick Centurion for 3 Speed Automatic Transmission replaces 56" & 57" Original Cables"
    ... for example : https://www.am-autoparts.com/AM/Spee...-/AM-40494991/

Itīs only an indication, not real knowing of course, but I now assume that the cable I found in my car still is the original !

Have a nice weekend !
    Rolf

Oké Rolf
    I stand corrected
    Then mine are probably after market
    But the cables that are offered are 61"long and replaces the original
    Note: In some cases, the cable may be longer then the original. This is ok as long as the ends of the cable match your original cable.
    I also find them expensive compared to the Dorman cables that are sold at Rockauto

btw. i really like your repaired cable it should hold if properly lubricated
    Last edited by Gum,beest; 09-25-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    Erik
    Ridderkerk
    The Netherlands
    gumbeest@msn.com

Hyundai XG 350 (2003)

Suzuki GSX-R 750 (1991)

The replacement cables are for sale in 61" and in 63" length depending on the producer, Erik.
    The Dorman cables are for sale in Essen, Germany, at MIKE & FRANKS for ca. 20 Euro. Guess one would have to pay such a price too if bought at ROCKAUTO incl. shipping costs. For you JAMBROES could be the fastest and cheapest source for such a cable (?)!
    Rolf

Hey guys, here it is - the 57" replacement speedometer cable WITH the plastic upper ending (!!!) :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3D1&viewitem=

The seller wrote me today : "... only ac delco makes the plastic insert design ..."
    GREAT THANKs to Per who emailed me the link to this seller !

But this cable has a very high price compared with what the other cables cost - nearly double than the others !
    So I will keep this source in my mind and will buy only when my repaired cable would break again.
    Anyway, it makes me a good feeling knowing now that I could get what I want ... !
    Rolf

It is the first time I see that plastic ending.... Non of my Buicks has such a speedo meter cable (all have CC now)
    Rob

Yesterday the weather was nice here again and so I started for a test of the cruise master unit. But just when I reached the highway the speedometer stopped working again and when I looked to the lower speedo cable I found it broken at the plastic pin again. I tried to turn the axle of the cruise unit by hand but found it nearly blocked. So I drove home, pulled the unit and the cable looking for the reason.

I found the gearhouse of the unit clean as it was after I had worked at it last time but it was hard to turn the wheels by hand. So this time I washed the gears with patrol and got a dark soup – guess it came from the graphite which I put in last time. So I only used a light sewing machine oil and then reassembled the unit. Suddenly I had the idea how to get the free copper wheel (speed disc) in between of the magnetic wheel and the steel cover (field plate) away from rubbing each other : I cut a washer (a ring) out of a plastic cover of a peanut box and installed it under the field plate after pressing the copper wheel on its axle a very little bit in that direction. Now the wheels are turning really free – no rubbing any more ! I installed the unit to the car again and fixed the plastic pin to the speedo cable again (it was broken away from the cable exactly at the point where I glued it on, so that it wasnīt demaged as the original pin the first time). Then I waited some hours, reinstalled the cable too and started for a test drive again.

This time there were no problems. I drove ca.80 miles and tested the cruise control master several times at different speeds and it worked excellent ! It holds the speed exactly at the choosen point – even at low speed (ca. 40 mph) – beautiful !! The years before I didnīt use the cruise control b/c it worked erratic – accelerating strong, then slow down with no gas, then suddenly accelerating again. I always was anxious to pull the unit and look for the reason b/c I thought that the risk was too high for me doing more damage than get it working correct again. Now I was forced doing it and I won the battle – great feeling !

On the other hand I only had a simple problem with that compared with what Steve has to do at his engine or Per with the rust below his rear window and so on. Hope they will be lucky to get all their work done soon and easier than they will expect it today – keep my fingers crossed for them ! Good luck also for you, boys !
    Last edited by The German; 09-27-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: corrected some letters ;o)
    Rolf

+ Reply to Thread