+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mirror placement / install

Hybrid View

Default Mirror placement / install

Not sure if this is where I should be posting this, but thought it was safe here... This really isn't a mod per say, but since my car didn't come with a right side mirror, maybe this is considered a mod? Sorry, still a little confused on when I should use this thread versus the standard threads.

Onto my topic...
    I have a passenger side mirror that I'd like to install on the car. Before I get into this project, I thought I'd ask you all what I can expect in doing this. I hate the idea of drilling holes in a perfectly good door, but I am a driver that relies on a right hand mirror a lot and I miss having one on there. So, I am going to do this!
    1. I see that I must screw the bracket directly onto the skin of the door. Do I just use sheet metal screws to hold in place or do I need to take the inside door panel off to secure?
    2. What surprises might I encounter?
    3. Helpful hints, suggestions or warnings?!?!
    Thanks in advance for your help guys!
    Steve
    Steve
    72 Buick Centurion Convertible - Current (Purchased in 2007)
    71 Buick Skylark Convertible - (mistakenly sold when I thought it was time to "grow-up"!)
    02 GMC Yukon XL - Daily Driver
    00 Jeep Wrangler - My "other fun" car...

Hi Steve
    There was a thread about this topic by Herman Rodriques but can't find
    I thought it was this one http://www.buickcenturion.com/forums...ht-Side-Mirror
    Perhaps you could ask him

A small piece of advice make a template from the left side en flip it over to the right side
    So the mirrors will be in the same spot at both sides and if you have to drill the holes for the mirror put a piece of tape on the sheet metal and drill true that
    It prevents the drill walking away on the paint job (i don't know if that is the correct fraze)
    Erik
    Ridderkerk
    The Netherlands
    gumbeest@msn.com

Buick Centurion 455-4 convertible (1973)

Hyundai XG 350 (2003)
    Chrysler Sebring convertible (2001)
    Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T (1999)

Suzuki GSX-R 750 (1991)

You can either use self tapping screws or drill a pilot hole for some regular screws. No need to pull the panel UNLESS you have the 73 and up style that used bolts and nuts to connect to the door skin.

Another way to keep the drill from walking is to use a center punch on the metal to make a small dimple. That will keep the drill bit in place.

Get out the drill!

It's easy...I did the same thing to mine last Fall on the original paint...I was scared to say the least.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

Hi, Steve, as you might know I added such a mirror to my car last year and also was anxious to bore the holes into the door, but afterwards found it relatively easy. I had to put away the door panel because I installed the remote controlled mirror. I had to mount this mirror with a special sheet metal which is lying on the inner side of the door just under the mirrors holder. So guess you will have it much easier.
    My advice to do the job is :
    - plan every step before doing it,
    - take a transparent paper and draw the outer line of the bracket and the holes you have to drill exactly on this paper, then cut out the holes and fix the paper to the door where you want to install your mirror. This way you could see better how the bracket will be orientated afterwards before drilling and you can mark the holes exactly to the doors paint !
    - fix a plastic bag under the backside (inside) of the door so that the small metal pieces of the drilling process will be caught and not fall into the doors window lifter mechanic where it could cause rust or other problems. You only need to take away the upper doors panel which should be easy.
    - lube the fresh bored holes and the screws with good grease before installing the mirror so that rust will have no chance to bite the metal during the next years.

BTW: Itīs really easy to take away the upper inner doors panel and so I recommend doing this because you will see the place where the holes will be drilled at the inner side of the door before so that there will be no surprise for you !

GOOD LUCK, Steve !
    Rolf

I would recommend getting stainless screws. You should also get a small bottle of touch up paint and paint the holes after you drill them. The last step would be to dip the screw into an RTV sealant like GOOP, just before you screw it in. The GOOP will not prevent the screw from coming out if you have to remove the mirror for some reason, but it will protect the bare edges inevitable with a sheet metal screw.

In New England any break in the paint will begin to rust as soon as you turn your back. So I tend to go overboard.

John
    Livin' Large.

Default day or two

if you give me a day or so I can come up with the original template so that you can mount it spot on and not have to guess where it actually goes. I can copy the template and send you a copy.

Steve, I do have all the mounting instructions and template you need - if you private me your address I can copy this stuff off and send it to you.

PS: for the record, this is not a modified Centurion question - It pertains to what is correct, proper and was available on a Centurion when new - the modified section is for those straying from what's correct and proper for Centurion's. Examples: Donking, custom paint jobs, lowering, Boinking and any other silly modifications that the owners see fit to bestow on their once proud Centurion.
    Last edited by My3buicks; 04-13-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 73 Centurion View Post
    I would recommend getting stainless screws. You should also get a small bottle of touch up paint and paint the holes after you drill them. The last step would be to dip the screw into an RTV sealant like GOOP, just before you screw it in. The GOOP will not prevent the screw from coming out if you have to remove the mirror for some reason, but it will protect the bare edges inevitable with a sheet metal screw.

In New England any break in the paint will begin to rust as soon as you turn your back. So I tend to go overboard.

John
    Good advice John! Being in DE, we don't get quite the snow and cold that you get, except this year, but nonetheless, that is very good advice!
    Appreciate it!

Thanks to the rest of you for your input too. All of it was worthwhile!
    Good solid advice!

I have to go and check to see if I have the rubber peice that goes between the mirror and the car. I think I do... one of you fine fella's sold me one, if memory serves me!
    Last edited by dewbers; 04-19-2010 at 10:15 AM.
    Steve
    71 Buick Skylark Convertible - (mistakenly sold when I thought it was time to "grow-up"!)

Hey Keith... the templates arrived over the weekend. Looks like even I could do this without much difficulty. Greatly appreciated.
    Steve
    Steve

Steve when your done

We need Pics!!!!!
    Erik
    Ridderkerk
    The Netherlands
    gumbeest@msn.com

Buick Centurion 455-4 convertible (1973)

Hyundai XG 350 (2003)
    Chrysler Sebring convertible (2001)
    Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T (1999)

Suzuki GSX-R 750 (1991)

+ Reply to Thread