+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seeking to fullfil my Dad's deam again of owning his "yellow bird"

Smile Seeking to fullfil my Dad's deam again of owning his "yellow bird"

Will pay top dollar for 1973 Centurion Convertible 455 with black vinyl notch-back interior, bamboo cream body, black convertible top. It will be a gift to my Dad.

He once referred to his dream car affectionately as his "Yellow Bird" and often reminisces about it and wishes he had it today. I would like to make his dream of owning and driving one again come true, if possible. He's given all his life so generously (including giving up his dream mobile in the early eighties for his kids college tuition) to his family of nine, and now it's his turn. Any recommendations or help locating such would be greatly appreciated.

dhimsworth@verizon.net

Welcome to the board! That particular color combo shouldn't be too hard to find, but most of the bamboo cream 73's came with saddle interiors. We will keep our eyes peeled for you, though!
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

I had a bamboo cream and sandlewood 1973 convertible. From what I remember most of the bamboo cream convertibles in this area had sandlewood or saddle interiors. I don't ever remember seeing on with a black interior and I remember seeing one with a sandlewood interior and a black top. That was the summer of 1974 and it was in Ardmore PA.
    Richard (Rick) Dunn

1971 Centurion convertible, teal mist gray and black: traded in for:
    1973 Centurion convertible, bamboo cream and sandlewood: sold away for all of the wrong reasons. :
    1972 Centurion 4 door hardtop, hunter green, green interior, black vinyl roof. The new adventure!

I have never seen a '73 Bamboo cream convertible with a black interior. I think it would have been a special order as Buick recommended sandalwood or saddle for that exterior. The black interior was suggested for the dark colors like black, deep green, or maroon.

Buick offered a black and white interior combination in 1971 and 1972. This had a black dash, carpets and lower door panels with ivory white seats.

In 1973 the sandalwood interior had off white seats and a very dark brown/green dash, carpets and lower door panels. The dark color was close to black. I wonder if your Dad is remembering that interior as black.

The saddle interior was all a medium brown color, nearly monochromatic so it's unlikely anyone would mistake it for black.

I think you should look at cars with the sandalwood interior, it's a popular color combination and I think the light colored seats would be a benefit in a convertible where black vinyl can get nasty hot in the sun.

If you want a black interior with Bamboo Cream it would probably be best to buy a dark colored car with the black interior and have it repainted.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

John
    Livin' Large.

Default I just need to find an owner willing to part with theirs

Wow, Richard. I can't but admit to be a bit envious. Your collection over time is quite impressive. Some connoisseurs of wine conduct stand-ups. You obviously prefer to do so with BC's..71...72...73. I luv it. xD You're current 74 looks to be quite a "green-dream-machine". May you enjoy many*many more happy miles with it. Thanks for sharing your "adventure".

And yes John, it seems the color combination I'm seeking is somewhat rare and/or of a custom selection, possibly. I've have seen only a few...one on the buick registry though recently...VIN 4P67T3X180943 owned by a John P. http://www.buickcenturion.com/1973/john_pa/ and one modified (but not for sale really) listed online somewhere in CA. My preference is to find*one or restore one to it's ALL original beauty. If I can't find one soon, I guess I could revert to exterior painting one bamboo as long as it has the black interior. I'm not fond about this prospect though. It just doesn't seem as authentic in the end to me. I keep on hoping some BCC collector will help me locate one soon. Thanks for the feedback. I hope to join the ranks of the BCC owners soon.

Best regards,
    Dan
    Last edited by dhimsworth; 02-01-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: removal of unwanted characters (*) & fix url

Hey Dan I have emailed you pics of my 73 not the color you are looking for but its an outstanding car

Here are a few pics of the car like I said the color is not what your looking for but it is sold, clean and has a very nice paper trail
    Attached Images Attached Images

drail: what are you asking for the green '73 convert?

I wasn't really looking to sell the Buick but I thought since I do have 4 others I can let it go. I am looking around 12,000 to 13,000 for it but I am open to offers. You can call and ask any questions at 765-228-9558

I've had my share of Centurions. I guess I just always knew what I liked.
    I still kick myself for sellling my '73 when I did.
    But I was young, stuck and had to make a quick decision. And unfortunately I let it go.
    If I had waited just five or six more months then things would have worked out but who can predict the future?
    Richard (Rick) Dunn

1971 Centurion convertible, teal mist gray and black: traded in for:
    1973 Centurion convertible, bamboo cream and sandlewood: sold away for all of the wrong reasons. :
    1972 Centurion 4 door hardtop, hunter green, green interior, black vinyl roof. The new adventure!

Beautiful car , great colors,worth the money!See what that money will buy in terms of a Centurion ,as opposed to similar money (asking price) of the brown LeSabre coupe!!

Thanks Phil I love the car myself the cream int. is so nice in the summer and really looks nice with the dark green. I have a lot in the way of a paper trail (bill of sale, window sticker, every state registration from new till I got the car, every state inspection from new till they stopped doing them, ect.) I just dont really do the car justice so thats why I even feel the need to sell, but it will only go to someone that will take good car of the car. I hope it can help Dan and his father, or another Buick lover.

Just to give everyone a heads up the 73 is still for sale and I have put all new break lines and shocks and springs all need replaced from sitting. Funny thing when we pulled the breaks it looked like it just came off the line this is a clean all original car any questions just call or txt me at 765-228-9558

Hi, I actually called you for some info several weeks ago and left a message in your voicemail regarding the 73 ,Ill; try again,Phil

Please do I had problems with me phone and lost all my numbers and voice mails. So sorry I didn't get back to you

+ Reply to Thread