+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1973 Buick Centurion Conv. 455/400 - $1650

Default 1973 Buick Centurion Conv. 455/400 - $1650

1951 Dodge Coronet "Hell Car"
    1972 Centurion 455 Convert "The Red Baron"
    1969 Ford Galaxie 500 XL / GT Convert.

It's got potential but it's rough.

It's a nice color combination, but there's a lot of work required. Since the top is in bad shape you can guess the floors are in trouble. The dented front fender isn't too hard to replace but there are signs of rust along the front edge of the hood. You'll need a headlight bezel and maybe a front bumper.

That rear quarter looks nasty. The protective strip is missing from the drivers door and it looks like it might have been damaged when the rear quarter was hit. I would want to carefully examine the body mounts particularly in back.

He doesn't mention options. It's got the optional 455 and I see power windows and rally rims so it is not a base model. I see a passenger side mirror which might indicate it's fully loaded.

It would be an interesting car to look at.

John
    Livin' Large.

Here's another 73 in Indy.

I don't know why I love this one so much. I think it's because the pictures, to me, just kind of say it all.

I do love the 2004 Little Tykes ride with the optional yellow roof, in the background though.

Who here is from Indianapolis? What's going on with the 73's down there?

As John pointed out in the other ad (I didn't even notice it) This one also has a passenger mirror. The more I see them, the more I want one.

1973 buick centurion convertible/old school - $2600
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1337588603.html
    1951 Dodge Coronet "Hell Car"
    1972 Centurion 455 Convert "The Red Baron"
    1969 Ford Galaxie 500 XL / GT Convert.

Low ballers need not apply?!?! I wouldn't give him more than 600 bucks. That car has been sitting with no top! Floorboards? What floorboards! Fact is I would consider it a parts cars. I would bet it is waaaayy too far gone once you get a closer look. And the location...where is Broadripple?

My take on this add:

For sale a 1973 Buick Centurion Convertible with a 455 V8 and the 400 trans, power windows and brakes and 95026 miles on the odometer (I bought it with 94977). I bought this almost 3 years ago as a project car but since then have been busy. My Opinion: Car has been sitting like you see it, outside for 3 years with no top.

Body about 70-75%, the motor starts right up and purrs, the tranny shifts nicely and the car rides like a dream on the highway.
    My Opinion: 75% done?!? Crack sales must be good in his town. Car needs quarters and fenders not to say what the frame and floors look like from sitting on dirt. I guess the trans shifts nicely from park to drive.

Power top works but fabric needs replaced, interior there but fair-rough, newer tires and battery.
    My Opinion: Top is shot$$$, interior fair to junk more likely. Newer tires and battery? What the heck does that mean? Newer from when? Three years ago?

Asking $1650 I am located in Broadripple area if interested, willing to talk price. Contact me at E-mail: johnny_sluggo@yahoo.com
    My Opinion: $600 that would be my highest offer

Cash preferred, but will accept local cashier's checks. Super lowballers need not contact me.

My Opinion: OK sluggo, maybe he should have driven to a dealer for that cash for clunkers.

Sorry guys I just couldn't resist. PLease if you have interest stay far away from it, unless you need a parts car then I would low ball him and wait, most likely he will call you ton take it.
    Last edited by centurion 455 ragtop; 08-26-2009 at 02:48 PM.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Rick Martinez

1973 Centurion 455 convertible - My show & tow car
    1970 GS455 Racecar
    9.25 @ 144.83, 3070 lbs

Default Scam!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GutRat View Post
    Here's another 73 in Indy.

I don't know why I love this one so much. I think it's because the pictures, to me, just kind of say it all.

I do love the 2004 Little Tykes ride with the optional yellow roof, in the background though.

Who here is from Indianapolis? What's going on with the 73's down there?

As John pointed out in the other ad (I didn't even notice it) This one also has a passenger mirror. The more I see them, the more I want one.

1973 buick centurion convertible/old school - $2600
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1337588603.html
    THAT ONE PHOTO ON THE BOTTOM RIGHT IS MY CENTURION!!!! THAT GUY IS FULL OF SH1T!! THAT PHOTO WAS TAKEN THE WEEK AFTER I PICKED UP MY CAR FROM THE BODY SHOP AND TAKEN IN CLOSTER, NJ BACK IN 1998! THAT SAME PHOTO IS BEING USED ON A CONVERTIBLE TOP COMPANY ON THE INTERNET. I fired off an email to him to please remove my photo from his add. Just on the way he did this I would stay clear of this sale
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by centurion 455 ragtop; 08-26-2009 at 03:02 PM.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Rick Martinez

1970 GS455 Racecar
    9.25 @ 144.83, 3070 lbs

Maybe he put the picture there to show how the car could look after being restored, but IF so he should have pointed that fact out clearly in the add which he hasnít

I understand you Rick, I would be pissed too
    Per

Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Neither of these ads gives a compelling reason to buy the cars. There is so little information provided you're left hunting for clues.

The only thing that would scare me more than buying a car from someone who holds a beer to pose with his car is buying a car from someone who calls himself sluggo.

The second ad shows the car has been in grey primer for a long time. I hate when this happens. Primer absorbs water, it should not be exposed to the elements. You'd never get paint to stick to that primer now. It would all have to be stripped off and you'd find surface rust on the metal beneath. It's only marginally better than leaving the metal bare.

Then throwing in a picture of someone else's car without permission or explanation is just sleazy. He says the pictures are a year old, I wonder if we're supposed to beleive the final picture is the "current" state of the car. As if anyone would post these old pictures of a freshly painted car.

It's painful to see these once proud cars being neglected.

John
    Livin' Large.

What gets me upset is the fact the guy is falsely pawning off a car that needs a lot of work by using a photo of a restored car and stating that they are old photos. Making the assumption that the old photos are of "sluggo" and his primer car and the one photo (mine) is what the car looks like now.

My advise with someone looking for a big block Centurion would be to look right here on this site for advise and guidance and of course cars that are for sale by members. Buying a basket case to restore in almost most cases will cost you as much or more when compared on buying a completed car. Think about it. A pristine ragtop that needs nothing in top condition may fetch, what $15-$20 grand. A nice super clean street (needs very little or nothing) driven car, maybe around 7-10 grand.

Take a basket case car, with the buyer doing minimal to no work:
    1. new top will cost you about 2-3 grand
    2. paint with MINOR body work about 4-6 grand
    3. interior work about 2 -3 grand
    4. Mechanical suspension work, tires, maybe 2 grand with you doing some of the work
    5. Engine a total rebuilt you doing the work will cost you about 2 grand and if you farm it out you can triple that amount.
    6. Transmission will be around a grand.
    7. Incidentals say like nicer factory rims, new center caps, trunk detailing etc. lets say another 1-2 grand.

So all said and done your spending $25,000 on the high side and $14,000 on the low side with you doing a lot of your own work. And that is not to say your time which could add up to 2-3 years before your done and able to enjoy it.

Now if you can get the basket case car for next to nothing (real cheap) and you have the ability and time to do some of the work, then it can be done and most rewarding as you built it yourself. But paying upward on price for a car that needs a lot of work, unless it's a super rare car, its not worth it.

Perfect example on skipping the BS on restoring your own car. Take Steve Dewbers on this site. He bought a perfect running and great looking car. Paid one price and is able to enjoy it immediately.

With mine I bought mine for $250 dollars got it cheap enough that I made it a project car as I already had a restored 73 Riviera GS. I saw the floors and frame were still solid, along with the chrome and body though it had the usual rust spots. I did the suspension work as with rebuilding the engine, and some detailing work. I had a long time friend (owns a body shop) do the body work & paint it, and another friend did the trans which I installed. So I was able to cut costs. The interior I search and found a good deal locally. If I was to do this again today I would look for a complete restored car like Steve had done, in the price range or $10- $15,000. Don't get me wrong, I'm no rich guy. Just that I would rather get a car loan buy it and enjoy the car right away as my free time has become limited.

With basket case cars seen for sale unless it's someone you know on this site, I would low ball your bid and wait it out. Or if you can actually go and see the car and inspect it, then you can determine an estimate cost on restoring it as a nice street driven car. Remember though, it never hurts to check them out as on occasions good deals do come up.

This is what my Centurion looked like when I brought it home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by centurion 455 ragtop; 08-27-2009 at 01:24 PM.

Rick Martinez

1970 GS455 Racecar
    9.25 @ 144.83, 3070 lbs

Thanks for the financial wake up.
    I found a '73 Centurion 455 convertible about three weeks ago in the wilds of Northeastern PA.
    The car has been sitting for a year and will need paint work and body work for sure.
    The top looked okay and the interior was in very good to excellent condition.
    I was with friends so I didn't have the time to drive it.
    I will be heading back in a few weeks. If I can get away for a few hours I will go look at it again and report back here.
    The car is dark brown metallic with a saddle interior and a white top.
    Very few options. No air. It had chrome wheels, 455 engine, wide rocker panel molding (?), remote left hand mirror, tilt wheel and either an AM or AM/FM radio with a single rear speaker. front and rear bumper rub strips and front bumper guards.
    I would love to save this car. It NEEDS to be saved. LOL!
    But I can't afford to redo two classics.
    Richard (Rick) Dunn

1971 Centurion convertible, teal mist gray and black: traded in for:
    1973 Centurion convertible, bamboo cream and sandlewood: sold away for all of the wrong reasons. :
    1972 Centurion 4 door hardtop, hunter green, green interior, black vinyl roof. The new adventure!

With the convertibles you have to get under the car and check out the frame and floor boards near the inner rear wheel wells. Also pull the lower back seat and check the floor. Converts are prone to leaking in that area and if the floor and frame are shot, well you know the rest.

If the car is solid and in need of paint and minor body work it may very well be worth restorable, unless the seller is asking a kings ransom for the car. One fact to remember here is the economy sucks, people need cash, so unfortunately for the seller it is a great buyers market now, as there are fewer buyers out there with cash to spend. Use that as your bargaining chip.

Rick Martinez

1970 GS455 Racecar
    9.25 @ 144.83, 3070 lbs

I agree with Rick. Buying a basket case is inevitably more expensive than paying for something in decent shape.

If I were looking for a project car I would focus on the southwest. Find a rust free straight car and you'll be off to a good start. They do exist and if you're patient you can find them. Even if you have to pay for shipping the car it is cheaper than bodywork.

Body and interior work are areas that are best left to the pros. Everything else is possible for the shade tree mechanic, particularly if he has friends willing to lend a hand.

John
    Livin' Large.

+ Reply to Thread