+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 84

Thread: Electra fever

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    175

    Default

    My 71 Electra 2dr is on the road again for the first time in Europe since I imported her last October from LA; a repaint, rebuild the tranny, suspention, added pwr door locks, pwr trunk opener rear wndw defogger and more minor things.
    Really a smooth ride... she drives like new from the factory:


    A few photos and a video:














    Rob
    Location: The Netherlands

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ridderkerk the Netherlands
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Looks great Rob
    Did you take this to the SPN yesterday?
    And where are the photo's shot in Buicxtel or somewhere els
    Erik
    Ridderkerk
    The Netherlands
    gumbeest@msn.com


    Buick Centurion 455-4 convertible (1973)

    Hyundai XG 350 (2003)
    Chrysler Sebring convertible (2001)
    Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T (1999)

    Suzuki GSX-R 750 (1991)

  3. #43

    Default

    Rob,
    I see your car has the rare rim blower steering wheel. That is a very seldom seen option. Is the color a non standard Buick color? It doesn't look like Verdemist Green. Whatever the case, you've added another lovely car to your stable. Congratulations and enjoy.
    Bob Alberini BCA 3038
    Columbus, OH
    Centurion owner since 1973

  4. #44

    Default

    A beautiful car surrounded by beautiful scenery, makes for a very classy looking combination. Now there's a car that anyone would be proud to own!

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    637

    Default

    NICE!!!!!,thats one classy looking 71!That steering wheel is indeed very ,very rare,especially since yours appears perfect.Which says alot about the care of the car,as most of those wheels fell apart!very similar to the Olds steering wheel of that era in appearance,as the Olds wasnt rim blow.Virtually IMPOSSIBLE to find!Love the driveway with the Estate wagon in front.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Thanks all.
    The steering wheel indeed is a rim blow, but when I bought the car the switch (which in fact is the 'woodgrain' ring embedded in the wheel) was, as all the ones I've seen before, broken. The former owner made a simple switch and drilled a hole in the steering wheel pad. I was lucky to find a (almost?) NOS (blue) rim blow steering wheel which was missing that pad. but had a working switch; I was able to pry the switch out and put it in my own steering wheel.
    Found that NOS wheel while looking for parts on the WWW and noticed one in a photo hanging at the wall of a (MOPAR) junk yard office. Bought it really cheap after contacting that yard.

    So now I do have a working rim blow wheel, but still looking for a pad.
    Another rare option is the fingertip wash/ wipercontrol switch in the gear lever.
    Unfortunately the Electra doesn't have CC, but that is one of the things I will add in the near future.

    @ Erik: yes it is in Boxtel (Buicxtel), only 1 ml from my house.
    I indeed attended the SPN (Summer Power Night) yesterday... Those are meetings within the range of my wallet it is only 10 mls from where I live. I still have to convert this car to LPG.

    @ Bob: the color indeed is not a 71 color... I really disliked the shades of green Buick offered that year and so I choose another one which suited the Electra more IMHO.
    Last edited by 75RivGS; 05-31-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    Rob
    Location: The Netherlands

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    I can only agree with the others, that’s one sharp looking Electra you’ve got there!
    Like the color combo too
    Per

    Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ridderkerk the Netherlands
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 75RivGS View Post
    Thanks all.

    Another rare option is the fingertip wash/ wiper control switch in the gear lever.
    Unfortunately the Electra doesn't have CC, but that is one of the things I will add in the near future.

    @ Erik: yes it is in Boxtel (Buicxtel), only 1 ml from my house.
    I indeed attended the SPN (Summer Power Night) yesterday... Those are meetings within the range of my wallet it is only 10 mls from where I live. I still have to convert this car to LPG.
    Is the finger tip wash wiper option rare for the Electra or for all Buick's
    Mine has that option as well never gave it any thought

    And for the meetings
    I know what you mean i want to convert mine when i have my body work done
    And with the current fuel consumption of my car (1:2.5) it is costly to cruise around
    I hope to be able to go to the SNC coming next Saturday but have to sort out some electrical defects
    (wash and wiper and the headlights)
    Maybe if there is something left in your wallet I'll see you there
    Erik
    Ridderkerk
    The Netherlands
    gumbeest@msn.com


    Buick Centurion 455-4 convertible (1973)

    Hyundai XG 350 (2003)
    Chrysler Sebring convertible (2001)
    Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T (1999)

    Suzuki GSX-R 750 (1991)

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    175

    Default

    @Erik: I will be in Mainz Germany this weekend so no SNC for me this time. I don't have any figures, but the fingertip wiper control was a rare option. It needs a different motor as well. I always thought it was a 71 and 72 only option, but since your Centurion is a 73...



    Rob
    Location: The Netherlands

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Check this out guys! Better than new.

    Even if I’m not the demanding type when it comes to options, I can’t help think that a Electra should have power windows

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PRIST...t_41067wt_1165
    Per

    Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

  11. #51

    Default

    Hi Per,
    I don't think you'd get much of an argument from this community but the way these car were optioned was one of the things that made them interesting and special. If a person wanted to load a car with options, it could be done. If a person didn't like this or that option, it could be done. It was all a matter of choice and taste.

    This particular Electra is really an amazing vehicle. Although the seller has it listed as a Custom, it is not. This is the base Electra 225 model 8239. The seller verified that and did provide the VIN which revealed something else. This particular car was built in July, 1972 and has the highest Wilmington built VIN that I've ever come across. It had to be built toward the very end of production in '72. It is very lightly equipped with AM-FM Radio, speed alert and trip set, Carpet Savers and Handy Mats, protective side molding, door edge guards, front lamp monitors, soft ray tinted glass, whitewalls and Factory Air among its few options.

    Regardless, this is an incredible automobile and would be anyone's pride and joy. This is from the same seller who had the Willow Green 73 several months ago and you should also check his other vehicles for sale. He has some impressive stuff.
    Bob Alberini BCA 3038
    Columbus, OH
    Centurion owner since 1973

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bensalem PA, USA
    Posts
    584

    Default

    WOW! Fantastic vintage cars for sale.
    The Sedan Deville is just wonderful.
    Richard (Rick) Dunn

    1971 Centurion convertible, teal mist gray and black: traded in for:
    1973 Centurion convertible, bamboo cream and sandlewood: sold away for all of the wrong reasons. :
    1972 Centurion 4 door hardtop, hunter green, green interior, black vinyl roof. The new adventure!

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Hi Bob,
    As you say the number of different option combinations adds to these cars personality and also tells you a little of the first owner.

    I followed your advice and had a peek at the other cars this guy has for sale and WOW what a candy store!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Alberini View Post
    Hi Per,
    I don't think you'd get much of an argument from this community but the way these car were optioned was one of the things that made them interesting and special. If a person wanted to load a car with options, it could be done. If a person didn't like this or that option, it could be done. It was all a matter of choice and taste.

    This particular Electra is really an amazing vehicle. Although the seller has it listed as a Custom, it is not. This is the base Electra 225 model 8239. The seller verified that and did provide the VIN which revealed something else. This particular car was built in July, 1972 and has the highest Wilmington built VIN that I've ever come across. It had to be built toward the very end of production in '72. It is very lightly equipped with AM-FM Radio, speed alert and trip set, Carpet Savers and Handy Mats, protective side molding, door edge guards, front lamp monitors, soft ray tinted glass, whitewalls and Factory Air among its few options.

    Regardless, this is an incredible automobile and would be anyone's pride and joy. This is from the same seller who had the Willow Green 73 several months ago and you should also check his other vehicles for sale. He has some impressive stuff.
    Per

    Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Another dream Electra on the market, sigh…wish I had a bigger garage .

    Impressive option list too, even has the firm ride and handling suspension!

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-...item19bfe88582
    Per

    Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    175

    Default

    I just brought my Electra to the winter storage... although the weather is still fine here I need the space here for the Cat which will be passing customs next Tuesday. Have to alter a few things (sealed beams, leaking exhaust manifold gaskets ) before it will get a license plate at (our) DMV and will go into winter storage as well.


    5 to 6 months no Electra...

    Beautiful 73!!
    Rob
    Location: The Netherlands

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 75RivGS View Post
    Have to alter a few things (sealed beams, leaking exhaust manifold gaskets ) before it will get a license plate at (our) DMV and will go into winter storage as well.
    Interesting about the sealed beams not being allowed, it was the same for Rolf in Germany. Wonder what the background is?
    They are allowed here in Sweden
    Per

    Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 75RivGS View Post
    Have to alter a few things (sealed beams, leaking exhaust manifold gaskets ) before it will get a license plate at (our) DMV and will go into winter storage as well.
    Interesting about the sealed beams not being allowed, it was the same for Rolf in Germany. Wonder what the background is?
    They are allowed here in Sweden
    Per

    Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Since 2 years those sealed beams are allowed again in The Netherlands, but only when they have enough light output (almost never). So I change them anyhow just to avoid any problems with our DMV. They have a standard size, for example the lights of a Golf II have the same measurements (135mm).

    Last edited by 75RivGS; 10-09-2010 at 06:34 AM.
    Rob
    Location: The Netherlands

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 75RivGS View Post
    Since 2 years those sealed beams are allowed again in The Netherlands, but only when they have enough light output (almost never). So I change them anyhow just to avoid any problems with our DMV. They have a standard size, for example the lights of a Golf II have the same measurements (135mm).
    I replaced my sealed beams with halogen ones and they give as strong light as any of my daily drivers; I was surprised how good the light got.

    The downside with sealed beam, at least the type I’m having, is the symmetric beam shape compared with European standard that is asymmetric = gives longer range on the right side of the beam.
    Now that I think of it, that is most likely the background to that they have not been allowed in some European counties.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Per

    Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robroy View Post
    I replaced my sealed beams with halogen ones and they give as strong light as any of my daily drivers; I was surprised how good the light got.

    The downside with sealed beam, at least the type I’m having, is the symmetric beam shape compared with European standard that is asymmetric = gives longer range on the right side of the beam.
    Now that I think of it, that is most likely the background to that they have not been allowed in some European counties.
    I like the idea of the asymmetric beam shape.
    Would make spotting Deer easier when driving at night.
    Dale

    Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

    Current Buicks...1970 Riviera (2nd one) 1996 Riviera (Supercharged of course!)
    Past Buicks. '66 Riv G.S (clone) / '70 Riv / '90 Riv / '72 Skylark / '72 LeSabre / '72 Electra / '96 LeSabre / '92 Park Avenue.


+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts