+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electra fever

Default Like new 73 Electra Limited

Looks like it came right from the showroom, sold for 13500!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...t_45519wt_1165
    Per

Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

Beautiful!
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

This is a beautiful automobile - I wonder if it is as pristine up close and in person as it appears in the pictures. Some things make me wonder if it may have had some mildew/dampness - check the glove box door out, look at all the interior pictures and anything that is bare metal(trip reset post, some areas showing on seats, etc) are rusty. The headliner seems appear to have mildew in them. Also, when taken close up, look at the condition around the Dealer Nameplate on the trunk lid.

A beautiful car indeed, but hopefully for that kind of money, the new buyer doesn't show up to a car that is not as pristine as it appears in the pictures.

PS: Not to mention the incorrect top.
    Kurtis Bierkamper
    Buick - Dream Up

You've made some good observations here, Kurtis. You do have to look very closely to note some of these things and hopefully they are very minor because the car is gorgeous and very well optioned. The glove box door does have a very odd look to it and even the decals on the underside of the trunk look blotchy. It is my best guess that this car did not come with a vinyl roof and the current seller had it installed to "improve" the appearance. Why else would a car of this calber need a new vinyl roof? The color is wrong for the 73 green vinyl roof, the grain of the material is wrong and the belt reveal molding is all chrome instead of having the matching vinyl roof color that the Electras sported. Regardless, I think I could find room somewhere in the garage for a car like this!
    Bob Alberini BCA 3038
    Columbus, OH
    Centurion owner since 1973

You guys sure are skilled on 70’s Buick’s!
    Not in a million years would I‘ve figured out that the vinyl roof is incorrect for the car

Bob, when you say that the grain of the material is wrong, are you referring to the difference in color on the door sides verses the dash (pict below)?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robroy; 02-15-2010 at 01:11 PM.
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

I believe he is referring to the grain in the vinyl roof, the Buicks of that vintage had a different pattern in the grain than the roof installed on this one - if you look at the roof of your 73m the graining in the vinyl should be different than the graining/design of the roof on the Electra - this was a style they started using in the later 70's and up
    Kurtis Bierkamper
    Buick - Dream Up

Plus the seam is down the middle not on either side as it should be
    Kurtis Bierkamper
    Buick - Dream Up

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion717273 View Post
    I believe he is referring to the grain in the vinyl roof, the Buicks of that vintage had a different pattern in the grain than the roof installed on this one - if you look at the roof of your 73m the graining in the vinyl should be different than the graining/design of the roof on the Electra - this was a style they started using in the later 70's and up
    Thanks Kurtis,
    I see what you mean.
    The structure in this vinyl material looks to be the same as on a 86 Caprice Brougham I once owned.
    I think it looks good on the car though even if it’s the incorrect type for that year

What about the difference in color on the interior wood imitation?
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Yes, Per, Kurtis gave you the correct information. For lack of a better terminology, the vinyl roof grain on these early 70s Buicks might be termed a pebble grain. This is clearly not that grain and Kurtis is correct that the seam is down the center on this roof. It should have two seams on the right and left sides.
    Bob Alberini BCA 3038
    Columbus, OH

Another thing I noticed about this car is the stainless trim moulding that attaches to the front of the hood goes all the way across to the chrome on the headlight bezels and is much wider. When on all the other ones I've seen including Centurions and Lesabres it stops right before the painted area of the headlight bezel. Maybe Mr. Alberini has some insight on this? Is this something Buick started out with and then decided to change because it looks factory to me?
    Personally, I think it is a very well kept original that has more miles than what they're saying. My 73 has 63000 on it and the interior looks nicer than this one. Also, how could the coloring fall off the trunk emblem on such a low mile car. I don't buy it. I think they're going to be a little dissapointed.
    Last edited by buicks4ever; 02-24-2010 at 02:08 AM.
    Mark Damato

1972 Centurion Convertible
    1973 Centurion Convertible
    1973 Electra Limited
    1974 LeSabre Luxus Convertible

Mark that was certainly a very good catch on the hood molding. I missed it but solving this one is over my head. Unfortunately, we have no VIN for this car so don't have a clue about the build date. The parts book list ONE hood molding for all 73 B and C bodies so we have all the LeSabres, Centurions, Estate Wagons and Electras covered. And I agree that this certainly looks like a factory installation. I have no good answer for you because nothing about this "pops" in the research end. Thanks for pointing this out to the forum members.
    Bob Alberini BCA 3038
    Columbus, OH

I wonder if this piece was added (possibly original piece was damaged) I know they made fancy side moldings taht appeared to be chrome that are adhesive - could it also be a modified piece of teh trim used around the nonstock vinyl roof? Check the fit on this side of the hood.
    Kurtis Bierkamper
    Buick - Dream Up

Good call!That looks like an adhesive wheel lip molding on the hood edge?Very strange indeed. As for the vinyl top molding it appears correct ,but it looks like they took the color off it! The lower portion of the top molding naturally should match the top color. I would have too say like you guys i can find more than a few flaws with the car and the glovebox and the roof pattern would bother me if I was paying that kind of serious money for that car! A beautiful car indeed, but when you can pick this stuff up from photos ,LOOK OUT!!!

This is my opinion only ,BUT....... that woodgrain trim on the door panels of the 73s is horrendous as compared to 71 and 72!

Two nice looking 71 Electra’s, might be a lot of Buick for the buck…

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/1694162585.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/1697139532.html
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Could it be the same color as on Adam's Formal Coupe on the two door?
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Yes, Per, I'd say that the two door is Burnished Cinnamon which would be the same as Adam's Formal Coupe.
    Bob Alberini BCA 3038
    Columbus, OH

Gotta love the Burnished Cinnamon 71's
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

Nice ! That burnished Cinnamon coupe looks just like one my aunt bought new in may of 71,with the exception of hers had bumper guards,Cornering lamps,Brocade interior,and was loaded up! The usual crap shoot being so far away,if i were a taker it would have to be loaded!

One of today’s offers on the 71-73 Electra market!
    http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/1708505166.html
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

+ Reply to Thread