+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electra fever

Default Electra fever

As much as I love my Centurion I find myself looking on 71-72 Electra’s every now and then, especially two doors in good shape like this one. Was there ever a smoother ride?

Guess the only cure for that Electra fever is to get one ….but as always its a matter of space, money and time

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=110402934360
    Per

Buick Centurion two door hardtop 1973
    Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009
    Cadillac Seville STS 1999

This is a very nice car, Per, but in my opinion it´s far away from the sporty lines of our Centurions. The rear / trunk is too high and makes the car optical too heavy. The typical elegance of the Centurions is destroyed with that rear design - in my eyes. The side line in the metal running from the hood to the rear fenders end flows like a bow and has a parallel line in the trunk of the Centurion which also goes down to the end while the Electras trunk line parallel to the side line is more straight. So your blue sports car looks much nicer to me.

On the other hand this Electra seems to be in very good condition and guess one could get it for relatively small money.
    BTW : They signed it to be a 1972 car, but isn´t it from 1971 ?
    Last edited by The German; 06-19-2009 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Had to express my thought more clearly ...
    Rolf

Have to add that the longer I´m looking to the Electra design ( I fetched the "Collectible Automobile" of Dec.2007 and had a look to the pictures of such cars in the article about the 1971-1976 Buicks) the more I understand what you probably mean with "Was there ever a smoother ride?", Per. The Electras seem made more for the family or for the leisurely driving people than the Centurions - for the comfortable relaxed cruising. And with their design they truely give the impression of a "smooth ride". Guess that´s your feeling (?).
    Needed some time to step aside from my huge Centurion enthusiasm; hope you understand that.
    Rolf

Check out the seller's response to the guy who pointed out that his 72 has several 71 body parts...
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1970 Buick Skylark Custom 455 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Have to add that the longer I´m looking to the Electra design ( I fetched the "Collectible Automobile" of Dec.2007 and had a look to the pictures of such cars in the article about the 1971-1976 Buicks) the more I understand what you probably mean with "Was there ever a smoother ride?", Per. The Electras seem made more for the family or for the leisurely driving people than the Centurions - for the comfortable relaxed cruising. And with their design they truely give the impression of a "smooth ride". Guess that´s your feeling (?).
    Needed some time to step aside from my huge Centurion enthusiasm; hope you understand that.
    No worries Rolf, I understand how you mean. I too prefer my Centurion and would never replace it with an Electra, but I could get used to having an Electra like this as well, but a thing called common sense kind of stops me

If it doesn’t go too far from the starting bid, it is in my opinion a lot of car for the money...
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Smartin View Post
    Check out the seller's response to the guy who pointed out that his 72 has several 71 body parts...
    ... didn´t see it ("... This is an early build 72 model with a build date of 71. Some of these early cars carried over 71 pieces. ...". - Thanks, Adam.
    Rolf

Sorry, guys, I just can't keep quiet on this one. As many of you know, I have documented 72 Buicks (B-C bodies) since new. I have recorded literally hundreds of 72 Flint and Wilmington built Electras and some with VINs earlier than this one. They were all 72s from top to bottom. This Electra clearly has a 71 front clip. While I can understand that some carry over parts may have been used early on in some areas of the car, if that was the case with the sheet metal, grilles, etc., GM wouldn't have lasted long. This car, originally posted on ebay in October, 2008 has a correct VIN of 4V37T2Y106928. If I would have purchased a new 72 and it had a 71 front end on it, I'd have never accepted it. My only comment, based on 38 years of documenting these cars, is "buyer beware".

As far as owning an Electra versus owning a Centurion, all I can say is that if you love a Centurion, you'll love an Electra. They are a magnificent road car which provides the utmost in comfort and power. They cruise the roads effortlessly. They are different cars, aimed at a different market and, as such, each can be appreciated and enjoyed but any comparison would be difficult to make between the two series.
    Bob Alberini BCA 3038
    Columbus, OH
    Centurion owner since 1973

I owned a '72 Electra 4-door at one time.
    Covert Tan, Brown top & interior.
    Nice car, but huge. Felt twice as heavy as my '72 LeSabre did.

I'm not sure I would give up a Centurion in order to own an Electra
    If I could own both at the same time though....
    Dale

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

Current Buicks...1970 Riviera (2nd one) 1996 Riviera (Supercharged of course!)
    Past Buicks. '66 Riv G.S (clone) / '70 Riv / '90 Riv / '72 Skylark / '72 LeSabre / '72 Electra / '96 LeSabre / '92 Park Avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepspear View Post
    I owned a '72 Electra 4-door at one time.
    Covert Tan, Brown top & interior.
    Nice car, but huge. Felt twice as heavy as my '72 LeSabre did.

I'm not sure I would give up a Centurion in order to own an Electra
    If I could own both at the same time though....
    Many years ago my buddies had a black 68 4-door with blue interior.
    It could make the gas-account go sky high so fast you wouldn’t believe it , thinking back it probably needed a good overhaul.
    However, we thought back then that this was the most "American" car of all we owned so far in its size and style.
    A ride smoother than silk ...
    Guess it was back then I caught that Electra bug
    Last edited by Robroy; 06-27-2009 at 03:42 AM.
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

I have one of each. Can't decide which one I like more.
    Eric Britton
    ericjbritton@frontier.com
    1971 Centurion Coupe
    1971 Electra Coupe

Check out this beautiful 72 coupe!

A one owner car from Portland OR, just like my Centurion!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_506wt_1165
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Wow! What a sharp looking machine, wouldn't that make a nice stable mate to your Centurion? But it sure would take a big garage to hold both of them! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff corey View Post
    Wow! What a sharp looking machine, wouldn't that make a nice stable mate to your Centurion? But it sure would take a big garage to hold both of them! LOL!
    You are dead on right Jeff!
    My garage is actually large enough but that would mean keeping both of the two daily drivers outside instead of one as now.
    With winters like this one (Siberian…) it is great to just to slide up that garage door in the morning and have a dry and fairly warm car with ice free windows waiting for you.
    My garage seems to have pretty good insulation, the other day when we had -14 *C (7*F) outside I still had 0* C (32*F) inside the garage (no heating on).
    Last edited by Robroy; 01-28-2010 at 08:45 AM.
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Per, saw that 72 Electra ,VERY NICE CAR! from the Buick"BARGAIN BASEMENT" amazes me these cars are STILL so cheap!

BOB, just responded to per,HUH! that one slipped by my radar.Didnt even notice it,And yes ,My mother having new electras,72 and 75and an aunt with a 71,these cars to me anyway were not only part of my youth,but in my eyes were every bit and probably nicer than there Cadillac counterparts, i like caddys, but to me the Electra had understated elegance and just wasnt overdone. I am a bit partial to the 72,probably since we had one. P.S. did anyone see the 72 boatail on ebay where the owner claimed it was one of a few that snuck through the plant with the 71 decklid...Yet it must have snuck through with a 71 grille too!!! Honestly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Genario View Post
    Per, saw that 72 Electra ,VERY NICE CAR! from the Buick"BARGAIN BASEMENT" amazes me these cars are STILL so cheap!
    The price it went for is more than reasonable.
    I have a feeling (and I may be all wrong here) that Electra’s are looked on as a bit of a grandma’s car in the US.
    In Sweden we see it more as a purebred American car and if you are into that, you normally love the Electra since it’s built without compromising from the American car building tradition.

I guess that somebody in the US that is nuts about European cars would feel the same way about a Fiat 500 since it’s so far from the domestic cars in style...
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Per, I see what your saying ,but in the day" BIG" Buick people were generally people who were money smart and brand loyal,they probably could afford Cadillacs,some just didnt want to spend more for essentially a car with as much power and elegance as the Cadillac.Yeah old folks bought them,but so did younger people ,my mother was around 30 in 1972,so that was pretty young,purely a matter of preference,I had friends whose mothers drove nothing but Cadillacs!like the people who bought Caprices ,chevy loyal,to them it was like an Electra.I said TO THEM!!My friend growing up , his parents could have probably easily bought an electra or DeVille, but they always had optioned up Impalas or Caprices Later.funnier yet was i dont recall Buick people trading say an Electra for a Bonneville,at least i dont.Im sure it happened.Yet If you traded a Skylark for a Grand Prix ,that was moving up!

Interesting what you say about brand loyalty, but you are right no doubt!
    My brother is a great fan of Saabs and I never could stand then from I was a five year old and up, just as one example….
    I have to confess though that I have been, and at some part still is a Caprice fanatic
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

Yeah,a 69 427 custom coupe with hideaway headlights would do just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Genario View Post
    Yeah,a 69 427 custom coupe with hideaway headlights would do just fine!
    Check out this one, it’s a 4d impala with a 350 I know but look at the condition… MINT!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
    Per

Hyundai Santa Fe 2006
    Honda Accord 2009

+ Reply to Thread