PDA

View Full Version : 73 Centurion Data

Bob Alberini
07-27-2008, 01:33 PM
While I was in Flint, I walked over to the Buick Gallery & Research Center late on Thursday afternoon. I spoke with a lady in the office and advised her of our problems trying to obtain 73 Centurion production data. In short order, she introduced me to the archivist and I explained our problem to him. A few minutes later, I had the original 73 Buick production records in front of me (WHAT A THRILL) and was thumbing through them to find the data we needed. (The original records are in a ledger type book that an accountant might use and are organized by year.) I had the records copied at a reasonable cost and picked them up on Friday. AT LONG LAST, WE NOW HAVE THE 73 PRODUCTION RECORDS AVAILABLE. I'll be glad to help when I can but please be patient as I am working from the original, raw data. It's all there but it might take a little time to assist you with your requested information.

Smartin
07-27-2008, 02:13 PM
WOW! That's great!! What a treat I bet that was, to have that in your hands.

Phil Gennaro
07-27-2008, 03:18 PM
While I was in Flint, I walked over to the Buick Gallery & Research Center late on Thursday afternoon. I spoke with a lady in the office and advised her of our problems trying to obtain 73 Centurion production data. In short order, she introduced me to the archivist and I explained our problem to him. A few minutes later, I had the original 73 Buick production records in front of me (WHAT A THRILL) and was thumbing through them to find the data we needed. (The original records are in a ledger type book that an accountant might use and are organized by year.) I had the records copied at a reasonable cost and picked them up on Friday. AT LONG LAST, WE NOW HAVE THE 73 PRODUCTION RECORDS AVAILABLE. I'll be glad to help when I can but please be patient as I am working from the original, raw data. It's all there but it might take a little time to assist you with your requested information.yeah bob,i cant wait to see how many colonial yellow 73s were built!phil

RFortuna
07-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks Bob!! That's great news!

Randy

centurion 455 ragtop
07-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Great new Bob. :xyxthumbs:Sent you a PM.

Robroy
07-28-2008, 02:14 AM
:beers::beers::beers:

centurion 455 ragtop
08-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks again Bob:xyxthumbs: Will do.

I always wondered what the convertible big block breakdown was for the 1973 year. I even inquired at Sloan a few years back and gotten a written reply (still have it) stating they only had records of a total amount of 5700 convertibles produced ,but no break downs on 455 option vs. 350 standard powerplant. They had told me judging from the 71 & 72 models with productions in the 2 thousand range (455 was the only engine offered in those years in 73 it became an option) that the 73's with the 455 option may be the same range. That was the best they could do.:confused4:

Well that break down does exists showing the L74 option (455 standard engine) in the convertible model having 2,937 produced. And even more of a treat to see (wish I had this one) the L76 High Output 455 option in the convertible model having only produced 284 models! Putting the total 455 optioned convertibles at 3,221, somewhat slightly higher than the 71 & 72 models, but close in the ball park. Oh and lastly the total production of 73 convertibles is listed at 5,739 (455's & 350's) Now for our brothers across the pond....only 13 convertibles were slated for exports.

It only took me 9 years to find this answer:eek: Thanks Bob for the info!!!!

Robroy
08-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Now for our brothers across the pond....only 13 convertibles were slated for exports.
And one of these probably is the Royal Centurion…wonder if that got a 455 or not? :confused:
http://www.buickcenturion.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354