PDA

View Full Version : technical datasheet of my centurion..

Ste-ITA
04-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi,
is possible find a technical data-sheet of my car?
(1972 centurion convertible)
I need this for registration and new plate in Italy..

each cars have a his datasheet or for a similar VIN number is egual??

My VIN n. is: 4P67T2Yxxxxxx

Can you help me for a technical datasheet of this car?
Someone can send me this?

Thank's!

73 Centurion
04-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi,

There's a metal tag in the engine compartment, near the base of the windshield on the passenger side.

This has a series of letters and numbers that give a lot of information about your car. Copy down, (or take a photograph) of this plate and the experts here can decipher all the codes for you.

I can tell you some general informtion about your car. The Centurion was made by Buick in 1971,72 and 1973. It was a replacement for the Wildcat and was a somewhat higher performance LeSabre. In 1971 and 1972 there were only 2 engines available, the 455 4 barrel motor and a "high performance" 455 4 barrel version. The high performance version shared some of the Stage 1 components but had a different camshaft. The high performance version is very rare.

Very few people outside the Buick world have ever heard of a Buick Centurion so be prepared for some quizical looks, and occasionally people will try to tell you it's a Century because they've heard of that.

What you've got there is a:
Babe attracting,
small car scaring,
gas guzzling,
grin inducing,
joy machine.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
John

Ste-ITA
04-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Thank’you for this information!
Yes, I have seen the metal tag, and I have decipher all codes, comparing my codes whit those in the Centurion Registry Profiles in this website!

I looking for, if there is, a Technical Schedule of my car with all specifications.
Just can, I write the codes!

The German
04-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Welcome Ste-ITA to our Centurion site !

I had the same problem last year with my 1971 convertible and later I posted the data sheet here :
http://www.buickcenturion.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3981#post3981

It´s written in German because it was for Joern who also is a German and will need this information when he will import his car to Germany and drive it here. But I guess you will understand it; if there are questions left look to this site :
http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z9690/default.aspx

Most data are given here for a 1972 Centurion and it´s written in English.

Hope that you will get all what you need from these sources; if there are some questions left ask us here again.

Wish you all the best for your inspection and enjoy your car within the warm and nice weather in good old Italy !!
(BTW: Hope you will find some time to post the story about how you found your Centurion and post some pictures too !)

Ste-ITA
04-11-2008, 04:59 AM
thanks! good information.

But for Italy I need an official document (datasheet) by the buick-home..

Can be found this?

Robroy
04-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Benvenuto! :)

Think you are referring to an official document from the manufacturer stating the technical data, am I right?
If so it could be tricky to get such from GM, especially in Italian. Are you sure you need it for a car of this age?

Ste-ITA
04-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Grazie!;)

Yes, In Italy the registration agengy for new registration and new plate requires the data-sheet !!
I want search me the datasheed, because whit a clubs is expensive, and Anyway they seek this datasheet as I do!

Certainly will not be in Italian language, but they will do the translation (payng of course!!:mad: )

.....this is Italy... :confused4: :Dou: :mad:

Robroy
04-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Grazie!;)

Yes, In Italy the registration agengy for new registration and new plate requires the data-sheet !!
Does this data sheet need to have a stamp or a signature from GM? If not it shouldn’t be so hard to get I think…..

I’ve heard about the bureaucratic rules for taking a car into Italy since I have several of colleagues that have brought their cars when working there (Modena)…

If you live in the Cuneo between Genova and Nice I’m really jealous on you, that’s a truly beautiful part of Europe!

Ste-ITA
04-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Yes, I think need to have a stamp or a signature from GM..

or also only the header "GM" without signature..maybe for the agency is good.. I can try!

In Italy for request this datasheet I spend 400 €:eek: :eek: !!!
And they want photos of the all car, alls plates, punching number..!!
I need only a tab with technical features, the car is already registered in europe!

Yes,I live in Cuneo between Genova and Nice, you are right, is beautiful here,
thank'you!

The German
04-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Per, last year I tried to get a data sheet for my car from GM and Buick in Germany´s and Europe´s headquarters, in USA and in Canada; I phoned with them and I sent them emails but they only gave me new addresses and so I walked in a big cycle ending in Canada again and without any useful information. So I´m sure one can forget to try that ! They are not interested or they are not prepared to answer such questions.

The only 3 ways I know to get such a data sheet is to ask an automobile club, a Buick Club for example, or to buy it from the German TÜV (technical inspectors headquarter - would cost some 85 Euro (!)) or to pepare it yourself.

Stefano, I have sent you my data sheet to your email address and I hope that you can write your own sheet with this excel file and hope that it will be accepted for your licence plate !!

Good Luck again !:xyxthumbs:

Robroy
04-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Per, last year I tried to get a data sheet for my car from GM and Buick in Germany´s and Europe´s headquarters, in USA and in Canada; I phoned with them and I sent them emails but they only gave me new addresses and so I walked in a big cycle ending in Canada again and without any useful information. So I´m sure one can forget to try that ! They are not interested or they are not prepared to answer such questions.
I know what you mean Rolf, friends of mine were importing Camaro’s and Transam’s in the 80’s and the Swedish authorities demanded certificates from GM that showed impossible to get.
Cars older than 30 years goes through the authorities very easily now days here

The German
04-12-2008, 05:05 AM
... ... Cars older than 30 years goes through the authorities very easily now days here

It has become easier too here in Germany to pass the authorities in our days but one have to give them that data sheet, which could be a problem ... . In Italy it still seems to be more difficult. I´m curious what Stefano will tell us about his experience with that process.

Ste-ITA
04-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Here is not more difficult, but is more expensive, and so long time for process all practices!!

For request datasheet in General Motors Italy I spend 400 €!! (Except!)
For request whit help of club of old cars: somewhat less, but long time (register the car to the club whit photo (about 4 months), and there are conditions of the club that I do not like).
And anyway I will must the practice in an agency...

Then I thought to myself without the help of any club, trying this data sheet abroad.. and then I go to the matriculation agengy
I will try in this way, otherwise I will ask help to the club of old car Italy (ASI).

I will know you certainly!
Thanks!:)

Robroy
04-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Hey Stefano,

What if…(I’m just thinking out loud here).. anyone on this board could get you a GM letter paper (an empty piece of paper with the GM logo on) and then you printed all the data for the Centurion on that, should be good enough right?

What country are you importing the car from?

Ste-ITA
04-14-2008, 01:47 AM
Hey Stefano,

What if…(I’m just thinking out loud here).. anyone on this board could get you a GM letter paper (an empty piece of paper with the GM logo on) and then you printed all the data for the Centurion on that, should be good enough right?

What country are you importing the car from?

Hi!

The car is importing to the France, near!
but although the car is already in Europe, need this data-sheet, because the french registration card not have alls data needed here!

Yes, a paper whit logo (logo of buick club) now I have, and I have printed all data of my car,adding 2 more! and translating any data in Italian!
but I don't know if the "Italian law" accepts a sheet like this (a simple tab without signature, in italy the agencies have never seen it!!):eek:
..I should add also a logo GM in this paper, and will try to present it in agency..

The German
04-14-2008, 02:33 AM
... ... I don't know if the "Italian law" accepts a sheet like this (a simple tab without signature, in italy the agencies have never seen it!!):eek: ... ...

Stefano, I guess they could do nothing but accept your data sheet if you have other papers with you where those data are printed in - for example : service manual and owners manual of your car and the page with the data table within the link I gave you above (conzeptcarz.com) [you could let them see that page in the net themself]. In this way they don´t have any arguments why those data shouldn´t be correct !

And if they still would accept your paper only with a Buick Club Presidents signature then only send me your file of the data sheet and I will get the signature of the German Buick Clubs chief and send the paper back to you ! No problem.

But I´m rather sure : it will work the first way ! Just try it and treat them very kindly ;) !

Ste-ITA
04-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Stefano, I guess they could do nothing but accept your data sheet if you have other papers with you where those data are printed in - for example : service manual and owners manual of your car and the page with the data table within the link I gave you above (conzeptcarz.com) [you could let them see that page in the net themself]. In this way they don´t have any arguments why those data shouldn´t be correct !

And if they still would accept your paper only with a Buick Club Presidents signature then only send me your file of the data sheet and I will get the signature of the German Buick Clubs chief and send the paper back to you ! No problem.

But I´m rather sure : it will work the first way ! Just try it and treat them very kindly ;) !

Thanks,very kind!!
I have send you a e-mail to show you my sheet, have you received..?

..I had write a e-mail at the German Buick Club for information for received a datasheet of my car, but they replied:

"the only way should be, that you buy an original 1972 sales broschure. There you can find the technicals datas you need. I believe there is no possibility to get an original data sheet by Buick" :confused4:

The German
04-14-2008, 10:04 AM
... ... I have send you a e-mail to show you my sheet, have you received..? ... ...

No, up to now (17.07 MEZ) I got no email from you !

The German
04-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Stefano, I got your email now and found that your paper is okay; I only optimized it a little bit and sent it back to you again.

So now you can print page 1 and try to get your license and car plate.

If it works we all will be happy together with you !

Wish you great good luck !!

Ste-ITA
04-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi!!
and yet thanks "the german"!

The car is arrived to my home Friday!
the trip was good, the car and engine is ok!
I have not yet started the practices for registration,but I will do it soon.. I will keep informed about this..

you can tell me any good shop (online) where I can buy spare parts ??
I found someone in USA or France, but if someone has experience buying...

(for trasmission filter, various gasket, shock absorber..and other..)

thanks!;)

Robroy
04-29-2008, 03:07 AM
you can tell me any good shop (online) where I can buy spare parts ??
I found someone in USA or France, but if someone has experience buying...

(for trasmission filter, various gasket, shock absorber..and other..)

thanks!;)

You could try Rockauto www.rockauto.com, its online and they ship international

The German
04-29-2008, 03:19 AM
... ... you can tell me any good shop (online) where I can buy spare parts ?? ... ...

Stefano, I got the most parts in Germany at http://www.usspeedshop.de/, another good adress in Germany is http://www.mnf.de/. But you can get very special parts only from shops in the US, because our cars are very rare in Europe.

In US you could try to find parts by searching in the "grey pages" : http://www.buickpartsdirectory.com/
or http://www.carpartswholesale.com/cpw/buick~centurion~parts.html ,
http://www.autopartsgiant.com/ , http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php , http://www.buickfarm.com/.

Hope you will find what you need with these addresses.
Good luck !

Ste-ITA
06-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi!
I presented the datasheet, and after more time I had a answer from the agency registration...:

the technical datasheet from buick club of germany is not good, they not consider valid it because is a "internet document" :rant:

the datasheet must be created from "buick" or from the bigger italian Club of Old-timer cars (ASI).
in Italy is the only way (also with "knowledge" in the agency...)

therefore now I wait 3-4 or 5 month for datasheet by Club!

thank'you very much for now...
thank'you The German for alls your helps!!

The German
06-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Unbelieveable !!!:Dou:I don´t understand your Italian registration agency, because nearly all the data are to be seen in different sources not only in the internet but also in owners manual, in service manual, in the Buick standart catalog (the page I sent you) and several data also could be measured at the car itself !

Perhaps it would be possible to ask a car expert to prepare such a paper for you (guess you have car experts in Italy who are used to give expert advice for justice in case of accidents for example - such a person could probably the right one). I would ask the reg. agency if they would accept a paper from such an expert. He could write such a data sheet using all your information and known sources and measure the car. It would cost of course but could be faster and cheaper than the way with the "ASI"-Club.

Hope this idea will help.

Robroy
06-05-2008, 03:18 AM
Sorry to hear about your setback in the legal process :Blasting:

I think Rolf’s idea sounds like a good one.
You have all the data they ask for, you only need to get that information confirmed by someone your authorities respect.

The German
06-05-2008, 03:52 AM
... ... confirmed by someone your authorities respect.

... that´s the main thing, Stefano ! - Well said, Per; exact what I meant !

Ste-ITA
06-05-2008, 04:40 AM
This is the Italy.... :Dou: :Dou:

The laws are very hard...but not quite right!!
(hard for car & motorcycle movement,technical and bureaucracy....the criminals instead go to prison and after a short time are released.......:rant:)
Nice eh ??

the agencies are very "hard", at they not interested see a owners manual, service manual or buick standart catalog.
I understand that they want a thecnical datasheet from Factory or from the Italy club of oltimer cars (a.s.i.) with stamps and signatures!

technical inspectors or engineer to create a card is possible, but Italy does not agree, it would be too expensive!

the club will take a little time to do it, but is the best solution now.
the club requires subscription to it, (varios photo of the car and 90-100€), then him will seek technical information by the Buick home, and manuals or catalog and create a datasheet (105 €)

The German
06-05-2008, 01:41 PM
This is the Italy.... :Dou: :Dou:... ...
the club will take a little time to do it, but is the best solution now.
... ...

Okay, ... good luck, Stefano !

The German
08-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Hey, Stefano, did you get the license for your car or which step is still working ?
We have August now and you should have some nice cruises until the winter begins or is that no great topic in the region you live in Italy ?

Ste-ITA
08-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Hi Rolf!!
The datasheeet for the car is not ready!! I'm waiting that the club send me this (I think one month,maybe two!!)
I wait the datasheet and then need another 1 month for License and italian plate in another agency!

This August is hot here, my father use especially the car... I stroll with H-D and old-VW bug :laugh:
But here in Italy we can drive the same with the French plate!! we have one year of time for italian registration!!

The German
08-07-2008, 02:17 AM
... ... But here in Italy we can drive the same with the French plate!! we have one year of time for italian registration!!

So you have good luck within bad luck - anyway, you can drive the car and that´s the main thing ! I thought you had to store the car while waiting for the license ... .

Code68vert
11-25-2008, 12:28 AM
I've been reading your saga on the data sheet and was wondering if a vehicle's broadcast sheet would satisfy their requirements?

Years ago, I found a complete broadcast sheet inside the driver's door and torn remnants under the driver's seat bottom. This sheet shows everything. Maybe this will help your situation.

That's a nice looking Centurion you've got there. I hope everything goes well with the registration process!

Bill

Ste-ITA
12-03-2008, 07:37 AM
:mad::mad::mad:

No news for the datasheet!!! communication with the club is impossible.
Alls peolple (from USAcars forum Italy) they complain and and we are very Angry!!!
but must wait....nothing to do!!
Some people waiting the datasheet from March!!!

if you can read in italian..:
http://www.usacarsforum.it/new/index.php?showtopic=7637

WDR
12-03-2008, 10:45 AM
You can order copies of your centurions original documents from the Sloan Museum in Flint Michigan. I'm sure they would include an official letter verifying the documents if you request one. They do charge $50 USD for the information. I called the museum as I was typing this. I was told that the letter included explaining the documents should be acceptable to the Italian authorities.

http://www.sloanmuseum.com/buick_gallery.html

Here is the address to download the request form.
https://sloanmuseum.com/research_form.html

I hope this helps.

Ste-ITA
12-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Thank's WDR...

from the Sloan Museum he will certainly an "original documents"
but in Italy will not be acceptable to the Italian authorities

I had already tried the registration with the datasheet from "buick club of germany", but it was not possible
But however I have attached this datasheet (translate) at alls other documets and photo that I have send to the "ASI" club.

IN ITALY ONLY THIS CLUB CAN ISSUE THE TECHINICAL DATASHEET WICH WILL NECESSARY FOR REGISTRATION (and new plate) IN AGENCY

WDR
12-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Now you must find out who in the club needs to be bribed to get it done quickly. It's terrible what they are making you go through.

Ste-ITA
12-04-2008, 04:17 AM
Yes, is terrible!! but unfortunately there's nothing to do, we can no bribe, ma only wait!!
Italy is European community, but about this is not like in germany or other european states!!
in Germany in a few days you have a datasheet (from a club or also a friends I think)!
Here the club takes at least 6 months to produce it..
Here the technical datasheet is stamped and only one for each VIN!

Then I think another 1 or 2 months for registration in the agency to obtain Title and new plate!!!

Ste-ITA
12-04-2008, 07:37 AM
UPDATE

Today is arrived the tecchnical datasheet!!!!
before Christmas I will go to the agengy...

:beers: :beers:

Robroy
12-04-2008, 08:16 AM

The German
12-04-2008, 08:56 AM
:xyxthumbs: ... so Bill (Code68vert) asked for it at the right time ! :beers:

Good luck, Stefano !

Code68vert
12-08-2008, 02:37 AM
Woo hoo!

Time to put the top down and do some serious cruizin' or put the pedal to the metal and feel the wind blast through your hair... that depends upon your driving style and the road ahead, of course.:D

Happy driving!!:xyxthumbs::xyxthumbs:

Ste-ITA
01-21-2009, 10:01 AM
:xyxthumbs:

they have called today by the agency... the new plates and the registration card is ready !!!!!!!

with a cost of:
105 euro for datasheet (that wait it 6 month :rant:)
450 euro for various practices, plates, translation french-italian registration card (:mad::mad:)