PDA

View Full Version : 73 Centurion convertible on TV

Bob Alberini
12-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Did anyone else watch the Hallmark Hall of Fame Produciton "Pictures of Hollis Woods" on CBS last night? I've not seen any comments from the forum folks so it doesn't look likely. If you did, a 73 Silver Cloud Centurion convertible with Saddle interior was frequently seen and used in the production. This was NOT a show car by any means. It was supposed to have looked like a well used car by its owner (and it did) but there it was and what a treat regardless. The front hood monogram was missing but the one on the deck lid was there and oddly, the car had the RH mirror but only the manual one on the LH side. I think the fender Centurion monograms may have also been missing but there was no doubt what it was. It was a fine production and will undoubtedly be available at Hallmark stores later on in case you'd still care to see it.

Phil Gennaro
12-03-2007, 08:15 PM
dont get me wrong, i think this site is pretty darn cool,i am fortunate to own a silvermist 72 convertible ,it is a low mileage original including paint.all docs ,zero rust.garaged its entire 36 years.i prefer original unrestored cars,partly due to restoration costs generally outweigh the value of most 70s cars.plus its cool driving something that has not changed much since it was new. like going back in time! but having observed many posts by members .alot seem that unless its concours restored quality cars, like many clubs and shows who no longer have original classes,but plenty of attitude if not a nut and bolt frame off. thats not what a hobby should be , its about fun and enjoying our big brutes,that with low low production how lucky we are to own in my opinion one of the best cars to come out of the motor city, no matter how flawed one may be, we are all just as lucky as the next guy or gal. philip genario new member , email pgcarsport@yahoo.com

Centurion
12-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Phil, welcome to the Centurion forum. Thanks for checking in here and posting your comments.

I can assure you that there are many of us on this site who appreciate fine, original, unrestored cars. Bob Alberini, who initiated this particular thread, is one of the strongest proponents of absolute originality, and you will find that his Charcoal Mist '72 Centurion (as well as his '66 Wildcat and '72 Electra 225 Limited) boast original paint, interiors, and unrestored drivetrains. His cars are just about as original as it possible to be.

Please share with us about your '72 convertible. We would enjoy hearing all about it, including its history, and I can assure you that you will find an appreciative audience here.

gr_speedy
12-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Mine is so unrestored you can literally see the asphalt while driving LOL.

Bob Alberini
12-04-2007, 06:18 AM
I can assure you, Phil, that my intent was not to be a perfectionist snob. I've loved and documented Centurions since they were new and I've done some pretty sorry ones over the last thirty plus years but my mind's eye can always take them back to when they were new. My intent was to describe the car shown in the production. It wasn't much better than a beater with scratches, dents, mis-matched wheel covers, missing parts, etc. but it was a Buick Centurion being shown and in my book, it doesn't get much better than that. A showcar would not have been very appropriate in this production but the car being used fit perfectly and for those who didn't see the show, it was my desire to share information about the car that was used.

dewbers
12-04-2007, 01:08 PM
hmmmmm, I guess I fall into a few of these categories as well.
First, I happen to have purchased a car that the fellas on this Board shared plenty of thoughts on. :rolleyes: To be honest, it really ticked me off at first, but then I sat back and listened. And learned. And got to know them. Now, this is a site that I check into at least daily. I've learned more in the past 9 months about my car and about Centurions in general then I thought possible. The knowledge and expertise that is here is none to none! We don't always agree on stuff (like me putting raised white letter tires on my car), but that's what makes this so much fun!
Second, I bought a car that had cosmetically been refurbished in 1993. It was done to it's original colors from top to interior to paint. However, it's drive train is 100% original with 118,000+ miles on her. Made a few improvements here and there, but not radical. That being said, I know of a guy who just bought a Centurion and he's doing a frame off on her and he's customizing the ride. No clue to what extent, but I can't wait to hear and see what he does, just cause I love these cars so much! I hope he joins our forum to share what he's doing... He's been invited.
Finally, if you've followed these threads over the past few months, you'd find that many of us are constantly part hunting. Not make ours rides trailer queen's, but just to make improvements. I wrote a lengthy thread on just getting out and driving your car to enjoy it for what it is a few weeks/months ago. That's because all of us drive our cars. Keith (my3buicks) tows a race car with his. Adam (smartin) races his at the track! Bob, Brian, Rolf, Michel, GR, Per (and the list goes on) all drive their cars whenever the sunshine permits!
Bottom line is this Phil... Welcome the board. We are thrilled you're here. Hope to have you around for a long time. But trust me my friend, the guys here drive their cars whenever they can. Because of the love :p my man. Not because we want to win a show. But don't knock those that are trying to improve their rides. I plan on passing my car down one of my kids some day to carry the tradition on! So yeah, we might be searching for parts and trying to make improvements, but we're doing it for the love man, for the love! :p :xyxthumbs: :p
Talk to you soon!

dewbers
12-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Darn it ! I knew that it was Rick. Sorry, must have had a brain freeze on that one!

Totally agree Keith. Wish I read the thread before I bought, might not have spent as much... but then again, I was bitten with the bug as soon as I saw the car. It was going to mine!!

Richard Dunn
12-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Yes there is a lot of great knowledge here.
Current owners and past owners like me.
We all love or have loved our Centurions.
I am still looking and I know I will find another one.
It's just a matter of time.
There are shows coming up in the new year and if it doesn't turn out to be a certain flame orange '72 in New Jersey, it will be another one.
I am keeping the faith.
And I know that when I do find that perfect Buick everyone here will be cheering me on.
Thanks again for everyone's support here!

Oh, and I have been trying to check out the red '71 "Centurion" with the '72 LeSabre front end for two weeks. I cannot get in touch with the seller and I did find the seller's lot last Friday. It was chained up and no one was there so I got back onto the highway and came home. I won't get another chance to head over there for two weeks.

centurion 455 ragtop
12-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Rick Martinez (Centurion455Ragtop) is the member that tows with his, I just drive mine and enjoy it.
Collectively there is a massive wealth of knowledge from forum members, it's a shame that every Centurion buyer can't have access to that knowledge prior to a purchase.

That phrase says it all. With these cars being few and far between we have finally gotten a place to network and help each other out. Thanks Adam!

Example, Steve was searching for a passenger side mirror for his 72 Centurion. He bought one but it was for the 73 model. On e-bay the the '71-72 mirrors going for at least 3 bills:eek: I found out and confirmed it I think from Adam and/or Keith that my passenger side mirror is the correct one for a 71-72 car. On e-bay the 73 mirror (which I need) has also been going for around 3 bills. So through this board Steve and I made the connection and swapped mirrors, both are in excellent shape. Smooth and easy swap. We're all happy campers now:xyxthumbs:

The one huge problem I find on any board is that the feelings behind the words cannot be projected so it is very easy to say one thng and the meaning is lost in the translation of just reading the text. So that is something that we all have to keep in mind.

Lastly, Steve brain freeze? I call it a brain fart, when I forget something I should have known:Dou: :laugh: Pushing 50 I get a lot of them:D

Phil, restoring these cars either for show or as a street driver takes time and patience and help from others. Again welcome aboard. Oh and if you get depressed on getting things done just take a look of my Centurion when I first bought it in 1998. It was about a week from being parted out before I found it. (a tree fell on it) It's a labor of love.

dewbers
12-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey Rick... I was trying to be politcally correct and not offend anyone! :rolleyes: Fart or freeze, I certianly had one! :o

Robroy
12-05-2007, 09:53 AM
The one huge problem I find on any board is that the feelings behind the words cannot be projected so it is very easy to say one thng and the meaning is lost in the translation of just reading the text. So that is something that we all have to keep in mind.

You are spot on Rick,
And itís even harder for us not having English as our mother tongue to avoid misunderstandings