PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Configurations

Robroy
02-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Iím trying to learn how many rear view mirror configurations that were available when the cars were sold as new.

Was there ever more than the three combinations below?

1. If no active choice was made you got the standard non-remote mirrors on both sides as on the convertible below.
2. Option O2 or O5 LH remote mirror (most common)
3. Option O2 or O5 LH remote mirror + RH non remote mirror (probably most uncommon)

Centurion
02-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Per, I think you have this correct, but I want to clarify combination number 1. Customarily, a car with the standard non-remote mirror would not have been equipped with a passenger side mirror.

Check out the images included in this recent topic on a Rosewood '71 Centurion convertible. You'll see the non-remote mirror and no passenger side mirror.

http://www.buickcenturion.com/forums/showthread.php?1933-1971-Centurion-convertible-in-Rosewood

Robroy
02-22-2012, 05:43 AM
Thanks Brian,

So in other words the std passenger side mirror on the black 71 convertible is incorrect?

Reason for me asking about mirror configurations is my strive to find a passenger side mirror solution for my own car.

The few correct oneís that ever surface ebay are often top dollar and in bad shape (Iíve looking for years), so I asked myself how close could I get with an aftermarket solution and recently bumped into this (http://www.stylingbutiken.se/autoclassic-mirror-speedy-/2091-0) which is fairly close to the std-mirror

A RH mirror would be a great help when I reverse the car into the garage

Centurion
02-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Per, I believe that a Centurion would have been equipped only with a driver's side non-remote mirror as standard equipment. There would not have been a passenger side mirror.

If you look at the option listing (linked below for the '73's), you will see that the only mirror option is the remote control driver's side outside rear view mirror. This is code O2.

I think that any passenger outside rear view mirror would have been a dealer-installed accessory. Most of our Centurions were equipped with the remote control driver's side mirror, so, when we see a car with the added passenger side mirror, it is most commonly the mirror that matches the remote mirror in appearance.

However, as we've often seen with dealer-installed accessories, it is entirely possible that customers of cars with non-remote mirrors might have wanted a passenger side mirror that matched the non-remote mirror in appearance, and these could certainly have been added. Moreover, some customers having cars with the remote control driver's side mirror might very well have installed a standard-style mirror on the passenger side that does not match the remote mirror in appearance.

Per, if your car has the remote control outside rear view mirror, I think you could reasonably add a standard-style passenger side mirror. You would need to determine whether you would be satisfied with a mirror that does not match the remote driver's side mirror in appearance.

I hope that anyone with more information will correct me if I am mistaken regarding the passenger side mirrors being added as dealer-installed (rather than factory-installed) accessories.

http://www.buickcenturion.com/info/73_order_form.jpg

Bob Alberini
02-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Per and Brian,
I hope I can add to the confusion on this topic. To the best of my knowledge and based on all the documentation I have, a factory installed RH mirror was NEVER an option between 1971 and 1973. The standard equipment on our Centurions was the non-remote LH mirror. For 1971 and 1972 the commonly ordered O5 remote control mirror option was available. For 1973, the option code changed to O2.

My Buick Accessory Lists for 1971 and 1972 indicate the following: Accessory Part Number 981723 Passenger Side or replacement of Manual Drivers Side 1971-72 LeSabre-Centurion. Accessory Part Number 981724 Passenger Side Manual 1971-72 LeSabre-Centurion-Electra-Riviera MATCHES remote control.

For 1973, it gets slightly more complicated as the standard RH mirror is not applicable to the LH side as it was in 1971 and 1972. Accessory Part Number 981918 is the Driver's Side Manual Mirror for 1973 Century, Regal, LeSabre, Centurion and Estate Wagon and matches 981921. Accessory Part Number 981921 is the Passenger Side Manual for 1973 Century, Regal, LeSabre, Centurion and Estate Wagon and matches 981918. The Accesory Part Number for the RH mirror which matches the '73 Remote Control Mirror (Accessory Number 981919) continued to be Accessory Part Number 981724 as a carry-over from 1971 and 1972.

However, my thinking on this is that it would not be an incorrect application to have a standard RH mirror with a remote control LH mirror. Technically, the accessory lists note which numbers match with each other and asthetically, I would think that would be most appropriate and desireable. But if you had a correct standard '73 RH mirror mated to a LH remote mirror, I believe a judge would have a difficult time deducting points since you had a correct dealer installed accessory for the year even if the design was not a perfect match. The dealer COULD certainly have installed it that way.

Robroy
02-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Thank you Brian for your thorough and very clear explanation and thanks Bob for adding the facts you had available on the subject as well as your own point of view.

The fact how the two mirrors will look together is the main issue, in a perfect world an aftermarket RH mirror would be available similar to the Remote drivers side in its appearance.

I did some toying in Photoshop, didnít get the placement correct but still you get a rough idea how it would look

My3buicks
02-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Per, when I sold my red 72 I removed the NOS right hand mirror that I had installed on it and moved it to the orange 72 - I replaced it with a later Buick mirror and to be frank, the two different looking mirrors looked awful. I could never have been happy with it.

Robroy
02-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Looking at the enclosed pict I see your point, seems like the mirror you used had a longer neck than the one I had in mind.

It goes without saying that the preferable solution would be installing the correct accessory RH mirror if ever finding one in good enough shape to do the car justice and without being totally ripped off.
However even such a mirror will look slightly different with itís thinner housing compared to the LH remote, but looking at the car from the front perspective it will for sure look much more right than any aftermarket mirror (that we know of) would

Bob Alberini
02-24-2012, 12:23 PM
I think you are right on target, Per. It would be more satisfying to you in the long run to have the proper mirror on your car than to settle for something that you're never really happy with. We'll keep an eye open for you.

Robroy
02-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks Bob,

Iíll give the hunt for the correct type of mirror some more time & patience, maybe I get lucky this timeÖ

My3buicks
02-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Per, I am posting pictures of the proper RH Mirror that you will be looking for - please excuse the quality of the pictures, taken after dark with a flash.

I was fortuneate in receiving this NOS mirror as a gift a few years ago.

Robroy
02-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks for posting the pictures Keith

Wasn’t there a difference in the type of RH mirror that is correct for 71-72 vices 73?
I assume we’re looking at 71-72 here?

That was a heck of a nice gift to get, I can only imagine how surprised and glad you was to open such a package

My3buicks
02-29-2012, 01:26 PM
From reading over Bob's post above, I gather that as long as you have the remote drivers mirror, the same RH mirror would apply to the 73 (The Accesory Part Number for the RH mirror which matches the '73 Remote Control Mirror (Accessory Number 981919) continued to be Accessory Part Number 981724 as a carry-over from 1971 and 1972.)

The German
03-01-2012, 05:08 AM
I only goolged for mirror part numbers and found this here :

http://www.billionsandtrillionsinc.com/pics/mirrors.htm

Seems as if they refurbish autoparts and these photos of mirrors are a show of what they had done, so the mirrors are not for sale - but I could be wrong with my assumption. Anyway, the pictures are good and they are combined with the part numbers which could possibly be of help for the search for one of them.

Robroy
03-01-2012, 03:42 PM
From reading over Bob's post above, I gather that as long as you have the remote drivers mirror, the same RH mirror would apply to the 73 (The Accesory Part Number for the RH mirror which matches the '73 Remote Control Mirror (Accessory Number 981919) continued to be Accessory Part Number 981724 as a carry-over from 1971 and 1972.)

I have a distant memory of two members here (think it might have been Rick M and Steve D) that switched RH mirrors to get the correct one for their year (73 & 72).

Also recall that one of the two mirror types was mounted from the outside while the other from the inside with using some kind of bracket.
If we dig in the old threads regarding the topic weíll probably find all the answers

Robroy
03-01-2012, 03:46 PM
I only goolged for mirror part numbers and found this here :

http://www.billionsandtrillionsinc.com/pics/mirrors.htm

Seems as if they refurbish autoparts and these photos of mirrors are a show of what they had done, so the mirrors are not for sale - but I could be wrong with my assumption. Anyway, the pictures are good and they are combined with the part numbers which could possibly be of help for the search for one of them.
Interesting web site Rolf! Thanks for posting, seems worth looking into.
Anyone that has heard about this company before?