PDA

View Full Version : Seemingly my life story... more Q's than A's!

dewbers
03-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Hey gang... as I dive deeper and deeper into this dark world, I find myself with more and more questions. I must admit, I have fallen for my mistress. See makes me very :p !!!!

If you all will continue to indulge me, I'll continue to post new and baffling questions. (at least baffling to me!!!)

I've got several today.
1. My clock is not working. Is this something as easy as a loose wire, or is it more likely that the thing is shot?
2. Engine Temp gauge not working. Same question as the clock.
3. My speedometer seems to be "ticking"? How is that repaired. Very annoying...
4. Did these beasts come with a passenger side mirror? I am very accustomed to using that mirror in my Yukon XL. I really miss it driving this ride. Are they available to purchase and install? Would you all kill me for not keeping it stock!??!
5. Simple question... what does this baby weigh?

Thanks guys...
Steve

centurion 455 ragtop
03-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Hey gang... as I dive deeper and deeper into this dark world, I find myself with more and more questions. I must admit, I have fallen for my mistress. See makes me very :p !!!!

If you all will continue to indulge me, I'll continue to post new and baffling questions. (at least baffling to me!!!)

I've got several today.
1. My clock is not working. Is this something as easy as a loose wire, or is it more likely that the thing is shot?
2. Engine Temp gauge not working. Same question as the clock.
3. My speedometer seems to be "ticking"? How is that repaired. Very annoying...
4. Did these beasts come with a passenger side mirror? I am very accustomed to using that mirror in my Yukon XL. I really miss it driving this ride. Are they available to purchase and install? Would you all kill me for not keeping it stock!??!
5. Simple question... what does this baby weigh?

Thanks guys...
Steve

1: The clock. Mine wasn't working I sent it out and had it changed over to an electric quarts conversion. I truely forgot who did it but there are a few good companies out there and the clock works great and came back all restored looking. Its not to expensive

4: Yes they did come with a passenger mirror. E-bay or others selling them on the Buick Boards. I got mine off e-bay a few years back. Its a non remote.

5: Weight, My best guestimate 4,600 pounds

2: Temp Guage? I got the idiot light. Maybe the sending unit is bad or a broken cracked wire.

centurion 455 ragtop
03-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Check out this shot, talk about ripping apart a dash. When I did this I replaced dash speakers, radio, installed trip odometer option, and installed new clock, wiring for power door lock option. All in one shot. Takes tons of patience.

centurion 455 ragtop
03-29-2007, 05:28 PM
The after shot

Smartin
03-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Your speedometer can be lubricated by removing the speedometer face and grabbing the cable with needle nose pliers and pulling it out. Lube it with graphite powder.

EEE
03-29-2007, 10:24 PM
I can't imagine taking out the black plastic piece that holds the instrument stuff under the dash,, that would be major mucho cables going everywhere or?

Smartin
03-29-2007, 10:41 PM
OH I forgot...

EVERY clock that I have owned that doesn't work, I remove, take apart, and lube with litium grease or equal. I'm sure PB blaster or WD 40 will work as well. The biggest cause for non-functioning clocks is grease hardening!! Try this, it will also allow you to change the old glass out with some clear plexi-glass.

I've gotten most of my clocks to work again after lubing.

Robroy
03-30-2007, 03:16 AM
Sounds like a smart advice Adam! I will definitely try that on my clock some day.

Kimson,
Regarding taking the dash with cables all everything of, itís something that youíd prefer not to do, but itís not that impossible either. Just make sure you have plenty of time, lots of patience:coffee: , and that you donít need the car for a while. Talk to someone how have done it before to find out what order to take things apart.

centurion 455 ragtop
03-30-2007, 05:15 AM
Kimson,
Regarding taking the dash with cables all everything of, itís something that youíd prefer not to do, but itís not that impossible either. Just make sure you have plenty of time, lots of patience:coffee: , and that you donít need the car for a while. Talk to someone how have done it before to find out what order to take things apart.

Oh I agree 100%! If you have it apart and find yourself starting to rush....WALK AWAY, and complete it another day! And TAKE YOUR TIME. How are the speakers do they need replacement. Reasons for asking is once you have it apart do everything else that needs to be done behind the dash.

Robroy
04-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Seems like my speedometer suddenly have started ticking as well.:confused2:
Iíll try and lub the speedometer cable

dewbers
04-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Good stuff guys...... the speedo thing seems easy enough, but why do I fear it so much?? :Dou: I hope it goes as smoothly as you suggested Adam. The clock idea works for me too. I'll hit them some rainy weekend when she's parked indoors... Trying to decide what to do about the radio. I read the recent posts about this, yet I am still struggling on what to do. I'd like a cd player, but am fighting cutting the wood bezel. (I know you all would kill me!!) :spank: So I am till searching. Got to do something b/c only the left side speaker works right now and it get's like three stations. Guess I need to check Year One for a replacement... Local shop quoted $550 for a new cd player (cutting the bezel), putting in a 4X10 under the dash, and two 5X8's in the arm rests of the rear seat. (they have directional sub woofers) Would be great, but then I'd have to cut her, and that hurts....

One last thing for today. My driveway slopes down from the street. When I pull in, or back in, I am scraping bottom at the trany shield. Any suggestions on how to raise the rear end about 1 1/2 inches? Not looking to get rid of the look, just want to see what can be done about this.

As usual, you all are the best. Thank you!! :xyxthumbs:
Steve

Smartin
04-02-2007, 06:50 PM
A set of air shocks are the easiset way (IMO) to raise the rear end.

Shrav
04-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Hide a new deck in the ashtray. This way you can keep your stock radio in for the looks. I tossed a pair of 6x9 Infinity speakers in boxes that I sit on the rear seat that I can disconnect and put in the trunk, again to let it look totally stock inside.
Also if you attack the clock yourself try cleaning up the 2 electrical contacts (they look like a set of points) with a small file or fine sandpaper. They get pitted over time and stick closed. Those clocks are actually wind up clocks with a motor that winds them. It unwinds, the points touch, it energizes, winds it and the points pull apart and wait until it winds down again. Pretty cool if you think about it! :xyxthumbs:

Robroy
04-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Steve,
I lubed my speedometer cable today and got rid of that squealing sound.
It was easy,
1. Remove the plastic cover under the steering column, 8 Philips screws totally.
2. Shift gear to the ďLĒ position
3. Loosen the bracket that holds the wire which pulls the transmission indicator (little red needle that shows if you are in P, N or D etc), its under the steering column (make a mark before taken it off, so that you donít need to adjust the transmission indicator afterwards )
4. Take off the 2 Philips screws that holds the speedometer bezel, they are located on the upper part of the bezel, then just twist out the speedometer bezel.
5. Remove the three ľ bolts that holds the speedometer face and lift it out
6. Lubricate the speedometer cable thatís seen in the middle, I used a spray can with thin Teflon oil; the spray can had a long hose which made it easier to spray in the oil into the cable.

Good luck

dewbers
04-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey Per - thanks for the step by step. Was it as involved as it sounds, or am I just a wuss?!?!?! :confused: Adam's solution seemed not quite as work intensive? Adam, if you're out there, can you chime in?!?!
This is driving me nuts, so I have to get it done..... Adam, what speedo cover are you referring to?
Thanks guys!
Steve

Smartin
04-10-2007, 06:35 PM
There are two philips head screws holding the clear bezel on, and they are on the top underside of the face plate. Remove those, and the bezel will come out. After that, you have to remove the actual speedo face - there are a few 1/4" bolts that hold it in place. The little PRNDL1 has to be removed as well. As soon as those are off, the speedometer just lifts out, and the cable end is exposed. Grab a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it out.