PDA

View Full Version : Fair Price for 72 Buick Centurian/455 convertible

Tim Hargreaves
04-02-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm about to purchase a 72 Buick Centurian convertible/455 which is in good condition and roughly 100k miles on it. I've been trying to dig around to determine a fair price but the ranges out on the web are anywhere from 2k to 20k. Any opinions out there on what a fair price is?
All opinions welcome, thanks.

My3buicks
04-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Hi Tim, Much would depend on condition, color, options, or a combination of those items. Without seeing some pictures of the car you are looking at it would be near impossible to come up with an accurate ballpark figure for you. If you could post some pictures of it, I am sure you will get some good opinions on the value.

David G
04-02-2011, 10:51 PM
The $2k to $20k price range you see on the web will somewhat reflect the condition of the car. However, there are bound to be cars that are listed way above what they "should" sell for.

As Keith stated, the more quality pictures you can post here, the more likely you are to get valid feedback on value opinions. Pictures can also be deceiving... if you know your way around, do a thorough inspection yourself before commiting any money. If necessary, hire a professional to inspect it for you. My impression is that restoration items can be very hard to come by for the Centurions.

Redrob
04-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Yes, what they said. No doubt you will enjoy the car, and we would all like to see pictures when you have a xhance. Don't forget to join the Centurion registry too!

heavycenturion
04-09-2011, 05:45 AM
Rust would be my main concern. If it's rust free, you have options. For example, rust in the quarters would be a deal breaker for me. Donor quarters are almost impossible to find. Post lots of pics and you'll get great feedback from this crowd! Good luck and keep us informed.

The German
04-10-2011, 04:26 AM
Just found this here : http://classiccars.com/resource-guide/83cc-information-price-guides-nada-price-guide.html

Go to "Passenger Car", then "Buick", then the year you want, then the type of car under "Centurion" and then "Get Used Value"; but donīt forget whatīs written in the note below ...!

Tim Hargreaves
04-26-2011, 10:56 PM
3576Let me know what you think

Tim Hargreaves
04-26-2011, 11:15 PM
another pic, let me know if there are thoughts on value

David G
04-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Honestly, the pictures don't show enough, or enough detail, to add much to what's been said. It "looks" like it could be nice, but the pics don't really provide clear evidence. What does it need? What areas need work, or parts replaced? How does it run, eng and trans? What does the underbody look like... how is the top and does it function properly? Is there rust anywhere? Lots of questions to be answered to get valid feedback.

If you told us what the seller's asking price is, we might be able to say that it seems too high, or seems too low. No one can give you a firm fair figure based on what we can see, imho. $5k might be a fair price, then again $10k might be a fair price... Have you inspected it in person?

David G
04-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Tim, the last picture is too small to be of much help. Need larger pics with more detail visible.

Tim Hargreaves
04-26-2011, 11:21 PM
yep, I have, and know the person well. I am not much of a car effecianado though, we are both trying to figure out the the right price. Not much rust visible from the outside, and starts and appears to run well. Will need a new interior and a new top. I tried to upload larger images but the site has limits.
Thanks for taking a look and for the helpful feedback.

David G
04-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Ok, there's some helpful details. A new top will not be cheap, others here can tell you what it typically costs to have done right. As for rust, it's what's Not visible from the outside that is the biggest concern. Need to get it up on a lift or jacked up and supported to inspect underbody for issues. A new interior is also a challenge and not cheap. I'd guess you mean carpets and seat covers most likely, maybe door panels. I'm feeling this may be towards the $3-$5k range, rather than up in the $10k's. But that's just tossing dollars out there, I can't say it's either. Maybe some of the members more experienced with the model would feel comfortable with stating a fair value based on what's been presented. There's little to no aftermarket support for Centurion-specific parts.

Centurion
04-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Tim, I agree that the photos are too small to tell much, but I can tell that the car is not a 1972 model -- it's a 1973.

75RivGS
04-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Try to find more Centurions for sale on the WWW might give a good price indication as well

My3buicks
04-27-2011, 11:11 AM
The worst thing about looking on the web for others for sale is that they are not selling, and are asking inflated pricing. If the fellow would get us some good detailed pictures of the car, we could get him real close to where the car needs to be pricepoint.

David G
04-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Yes, all you see on the internet is someone's asking price. That really doesn't tell you what those cars are actually selling for, if they sell at all. I want to be in the market for a decent driver in the forseeable future, and I can tell you that I wouldn't think of paying what most advertised cars are listed at.

nick62
08-01-2011, 09:41 PM
hi everyone .. i need help / advice too ... just looked at a 1972 convertible .. it drove beautifully, engine seemed strong, brakes very powerful.
it appears to only have 45,000 miles ..
on the plus side:
very good interior and soft top, all window motors working & the electric hood

on the downside:
a/c not working
radio not working
rust on the front wing by the door ..
poor paint condition

no power seats, but that's not a big deal ...

color: rusty brown /

what a fun car to own, how much should i pay. it's in original condition ... drove fine, but this car will no doubt need some work ..
any advice would be very helpful ..

ps... what do this get mpg? !

73 Centurion
08-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Maybe we can, as a group come up with a formula for a rough value of a Centurion. I'll throw out some numbers as a starting point, please feel free to add or change any amount.

Absolutely perfect condition, highly optioned and in a desirable or rare color $17,000. Let's start with that value.
Add about $2,000 outside the U.S.
Subtract $4,000 if it needs a roof. (roofs don't cost that much but a car with a bad roof is going to have more problems)
Subtract $2,000 if it doesn't have A/C. This is not optional for most people.
Subtract $7,000 for rust in the rear quarters
Subtract $2,000 for rust in doors or front quarters.
Subtract the price of having any mechanical system fixed that needs it. I think there's a fairly standard guide for shop prices to fix major systems isn't there?
If you can do the work yourself reduce the amount to parts times 1.25. It always costs more than the sum of the parts.

Compare the price from this calculation against the asking price of the car you're considering. If the car in question is higher, negotiate. If the car is lower look closer. If the car is still lower have a professional look closer. If it still is at or near the calculated value buy it immediately.

John

My3buicks
08-02-2011, 02:01 PM
$17K for a #1 loaded good/rare color vert ???? Mines not leaving the garage for that figure.

I posted this previously, I think it is a pretty fair guide. Even with these values below, it depends on the car and the buyer - could go up, could go down.

Bought the new April issue of "Old Cars Report Price Guide". It is one of the most accurate price guide out there. Non of them are bibles by any means, but this one is a good solid guide. I thought maybe everyone would like to know where are fabulous Centurions are valued right now. Of course there can be lots of wild card factors that can affect the numbers up or down. Some being Mileage, options, color, etc. It's good info to have on hand.

Year Model #4 #3 #2 #1

1971 & 72

4 dr Hrdtp $1600 $3740 $5810 $8300

2 dr Hrdtp $1720 $3870 $6020 $8600

2 dr Conv $4000 $9000 $14000 $20000

4 dr Hrdtp $1480 $3330 $5180 $7400

2 dr Hrdtp $1580 $3560 $5530 $7900

2 dr Conv $3200 $7200 $11200 $16000