PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signals Stopped Working

Richard Dunn
09-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Two trips ago I was out with the Buick and when I made a right had turn the signals didn't work.
I checked it out and it appears a bulb or bulbs may be out in the rear.
The right front parking light was working.
When then lights are on the taillights are out on the right hand side.
I looked and have no idea on where to start to replace a simple bulb. I know it can't be that hard to do but I don't know if I need to dismantle the delicate cardboard lining inside the trunk or not.
I figure thats the way to go in....but knowing me I'll destroy something. :Dou:

Thanks for any advice....

Gum,beest
09-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi Richard
In mine '73 i need only to unscrew the taillight lenses
Then i got full access to the light bulbs
I don't know if it is the same in your '72 but if you check the lenses you should see philips head screws
Hope this helps

Smartin
09-27-2009, 07:15 PM
On the 71 and 72's, you have to remove the cardboard to get to the sockets. They spin counterclockwise a quarter turn to come out.

Richard Dunn
09-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks, that's what I figured.
I saw the tabs but was afraid to mess with them.
Now I know that I have to that I will.

Thanks again.

Richard Dunn
10-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Well I got brave and removed the cardboard.
Two bulbs were burned out so I headed off to a nearby Pep Boys and bought replacement bulbs and a fresh can of WD-40.
The old bulbs were corroded into the sockets and it took brute force to remove them. Not mention breaking the bulbs and I think I lost the screw from the cardboard cover.
Now the lights work and the brake lights are working but the signals aren't working.
What do I look for next?
The front parking light is working.

I also found moisture in the trunk. There were some old rubber floor mats in the trunk and when I moved them there was some water in the grooves in the trunk floor. I sopped the water up with some paper towels but I can't imagine how it got in.

Smartin
10-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Replace the flasher at the fuse box.

I am willing to bet the water is from a poor sealing rear window or window channel rust. Possibly some water getting in from the stainless trim fastener holes around the vinyl top..

Richard Dunn
10-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks, I'll try that.

Richard Dunn
10-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Strange but true.
I went out this afternoon to buy a flasher for fuse box.
On my way back to the closest Pep Boys I made three right turns. On the third right turn the signals started working and kept on working.....?
Also found the missing screw in the trunk so I reattached the cardboard trim.
Everything is good.

I went for a nice half hour drive around the area enjoying what turned out to be a beautiful fall day. :)

Gum,beest
10-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Hallo Rick
Maybe it is not a bad idea to replace the flasher afterall
Thing are not suppost to stop working and than start working again
I suspect there is a bad ground wire somewhere
After all the wires are 37 years old