PDA

View Full Version : Factory Wire Hubcaps

Big Burgundy
08-03-2009, 10:03 PM
My '72 has the original wire spoked hubcaps. I have noticed that most cars have the ralley wheels. Are these rare? Or has everyone just got rid of these in favour for the ralley wheels?

Centurion
08-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi Big Burgundy, and welcome aboard.

The wire wheelcovers for the Centurions were not commonly seen, and, because of this, I think that they are a nice accessory for these cars. You are correct that more of the cars have the chrome-plated road wheels, making the wire wheelcovers (and the Deluxe and Super Deluxe wheelcovers) somewhat unique.

Bob Alberini
08-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Hiya Big Burgundy,
Tell me what model you have and I can provide you with the number of cars that were originally assembled with the wire wheel covers.

If you really want detailed info, I can tell you how many had the standard wheel covers, super deluxe wheel covers and road wheels.

Always good to have another Centurionaholic on board.

Big Burgundy
08-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Sorry, She's a convertible.

Bob Alberini
08-05-2009, 04:53 PM
As Brian mentioned, the wire wheel covers were even rare when new. Of the 2,396 72 Centurion convertibles that were built, only 155 cars were built with them. The super deluxe wheel covers were even more scarce with only 51 built that way. Standard wheel covers were on 835 units and the popular Buick chrome wheels came on 1,355 cars. Hope this will be of interest to you.

If you have any more production questions, feel free to throw them out there.

Roudy
08-07-2009, 01:05 PM
My '72 convertible was originally optioned with the wire hubcaps. My friend who purchased it in 1988 eventually replaced them with dog dishes as the original wheels rusted badly. I wished he had kept them, as I would have like to have them restored. I personally liked the wire hubcaps better than the chrome wheels. To each his own I guess.

73 Centurion
08-10-2009, 10:19 AM
I had cadillac spoked hubcaps on my first car. They looked great but where a bitch to keep clean.

It's nice to have rare options but I think the standard wheel covers are a bit plain. I kept mine mostly for the Centurion medalions. Although I haven't decided what to do with them.

John